Menu

Milk and Migraines

Has anyone else experienced migraines as a result of having too much milk?

I have been very lax and really quite stupid with my eating habits since returning from vacation. I had a horrible, terrible migraine for 3 days and dh pointed out, while he was giving me a massage and I was in such excruciating pain that he thought I'd been having too much milk. I think he's right on. Would love to know if anyone else has noticed a connection.

I normally avoid too much milk, or, at least "obvious" milk - meaning that milk in something like pancakes or waffles or whatever, I'm flexible about, but I no longer chug it down several times a day like I used to.

My reasons for limiting milk are many:

1. linked to high bre@st estrogen levels and increased rates of bre@st cancer.

2. milk is known to be the number one cause of acne - I wish I'd known this in my teens and 20s :glare:.

3. often leads to sinus problems.

4. no proof that it helps bone strength - in fact, the reverse is often true.

Wow. Thank you. Glad you found relief. Does all forms of dairy bother you or just milk? For me, plain yogurt is fine. And subtle forms of dairy is okay. It's just when I have tons of milk ... I think. I really don't want go through the 3-day migraine that I had ever, ever again. :glare:

Dairy is well-known to be a cause of migraine. For some people, even one glass of milk, one slice of cheese, triggers the migraine.

Your list is a good reason for you to avoid dairy altogether, although you may be able to tolerate milk in cooked foods like waffles and pancakes.

Something else to consider is that some people who are gluten-sensitive are also lactose intolerant, which would mean...no waffles or pancakes. :glare:

Thank you all. This is very interesting and helpful. I'm going to keep an eye on it.

I definitely have noticed a relationship between cheese and migraines. Which is a killer because I LOVE cheese!

Yes, oftentimes, the foods we love and crave the most are the ones that we're most sensitive to. Not fun at all ... :glare:

Both bananas and cheese are high on a migraine list of foods.

Most aged foods can cause migraines that includes Cheese & yogurt. It can be HARD. All though sometimes after doing an abstaining type diet you can slowly allow SOME foods back in.

Thank you.

Very interesting. I knew that cheese is often a trigger. Never knew that about bananas, however.

I'll be the odd ball...again.

I used to suffer from regular migraines for years. Giving up caffeine totally almost wiped them out. My cycle can cause a good headache, but not the horrible three day migraine ordeal.

Food and drink journals are great along with watching for other triggers like, glaring sunlight, weather, perfumes, disturbances in sleep cycles etc.

I detest headaches and sympathize with everyone who suffers them...:grouphug: