Menu

Overwhelmed with choices and paralyzed by indecision!

Help! How do you keep from getting overwhelmed with all the curriculum choices out there and all the methods of teaching/learning? I'm just so overwhelmed to the point of paralysis right now! I was so excited to plan for next year and now I'm simply nauseated at the thought b/c I just can't make those final "decisions"! I still have curriculum to buy (art program, foreign language) and money is running out. I should probably sell 50% of what I have as it's just taking up space on my shelf, but I'll probably use it one day! I'm sickened at the money I've already spent on stuff I may or may not use right away. I see all these great free resources online and wonder why I spent the big bucks on x book or y program when it's all online...FREE! Handwriting pages, K lesson plans, science lesson plans and resources, notebooking pages, lapbook resources, etc. Sorry to ramble on...again. I get like this every once in a while. There's so much swimming around in my head right now (so many choices, so many resources, which to choose?) that I can't even begin to make the final decisions! If I choose x program, will my dc suffer b/c I didn't choose y program? Will they miss something crucial if I don't use a an aleady put together curriculum? I feel as if I NEED the already put together stuff so I don't miss something. Plus, time is of the essence and some of those great resources do take time to plan out. Okay, enough rambling. How do you set your mind at ease and just decide?

I don't have any good advice, since I end up in the same boat a good many times. I've heard a lot that having a list of goals, long term and short term, is helpful. Maybe you could do a yearly list(if you don't already) and then stick to it for that year(unless it really isn't working), and then evaluate at the end when it comes time to buy next years stuff. What works, what doesn't. Keep what works, change what doesn't. I mean to do that every time I get stuck in the curriculum junkie phase, but haven't yet. I have something rather vague and that really doesn't help when you are hearing raving about this or that.

I felt that same way when I was new at homeschooling, but I am realizing after 16 years at it that the curriculum is not that important. Your relationship with your children is the most important thing.

I'd like to help beyond that trite little (but very true) statement, but not sure how since I do not know what things you are considering purchasing, have already purchased, how large/small your budget is, etc.

It is also difficult knowing how to advise since I do not know your philosophical background.

I, too, have gotten "sick" over how much I have spent in past years. What's done is done. One nice thing about that is that what doesn't work for you will probably work for someone else. You can always sell your used items if it comes to that.

I finally found a Western Civ. course I really like and I've already graduated two children. Oh, well. They're still alive and prospering. It turns out not to be the proverbial end of the world.

The main thing about homeschooling is to instill a love for learning in your children no matter what curriculum you use. Teach them how to find out the things they want to know. Teach them to think about and analyze, not just accept everything they read or hear. This kind of education comes from much interaction as they go through their studies - lots of discussion, reading aloud, questioning, exploring.

I'm trying to help, but I really think I need more information to be of any real assistance. What ages are your children? How many? Are you a Christian or secular homeschooler or any other kind I haven't thought of?

Oh, and don't worry about missing something. You'll definitely miss something. It's inevitable. But it isn't something to fret over. We can only learn and teach so much given the restraints of time and resources. Your children will have their whole lives to fill in any gaps you leave.

Pick something.

I remember that feeling. It didn't come until I had been hsing for about a year (this was back in 1982) because of the circumstances which caused us to hs. When I finally started researching stuff, I agonized over the options (and they were not as many as are available today), even dreamed about it one night. Finally, it seemed that God spoke to me--really--and said JUST PICK SOMETHING. It will be okay.

So I did. Whew!

You have to think about how much time you have in the day, and consider whether you would really and truly use [insert product name here] or not. The truth is that you probably can't use all the things you've looked at, so just PICK SOMETHING. It will be okay. If you don't like it, you can try something else next year. Even if you do like it, you can try something next year.

It will be okay:D

Let's see...my philosophy on education? I'm not really sure. I guess I'm sort of ecclectic as I use a bunch of classical methods, am starting to incorporate some CM style lessons, etc. My kids are 11, 10, 8, 7, 5, 2 and newborn. We are Christian homeschoolers. Kathleen in VA, your advice is good and something I need to remember. It really isn't about the curriculum. I must stop being a slave to a curriculum. It's a crutch for me, I guess. I'm not confident in my own ability to teach so I rely on the almighty curriculum. But, it really is about instilling that love of learning and I think I might be "squelching" that in my dc by my need for the perfect curriculum! Yikes! Must.stop.looking. I have what I need for next year except for foreign language (Spanish) and a good art program for my ds10 who really loves to draw/paint and is quite good. Writing is really tripping me up b/c I can't decide on one for dd11 who struggles. I have used Anc. Hist. Based WRiting lessons from IEW and she did well with that, but needed more variety. I considered getting the TWSS and doing my own lessons for her but I'm not sure I want to pay that much $ for it! I'm thinking about using the "plan" from the Anc. Hist. Based lessons and just applying it to other topics, KWIM? Okay, rambling again. Sorry.

such great advice has been given so far. I just want to say I am right there with you about all the choices. That's one good thing (or maybe bad thing) about Alberta, we are given funding to buy supplies/curric etc and with my board we can start using purchase orders in July for the first disperment. I find I use up all my funding and still spend far too much of my own money on supplies. My house is busting at the seams with materials and yet here I sit tonight with my iced tea and a box of catalogues acting like a kid making a xmas wish list. Do not worry about picking everything. Art just peice meal it and save the money, don't buy a foreign language program until you have started for the year, because if you are like me you have bought so much there is no way to do it all anyway so why add anymore to the mix until you know you have time in your schedule to do so.

Sue,

I always focus on math and English choices first. Once I have those made, everything else is easier to deal with. I don't think science and history need to be costly choices.

Foreign language.....well.....you got me there. I have spent way too much money in that category. But I really didn't need to. It is more of a personal want than a need.

I think the most important thing for you to do is decide what you really want to accomplish next school yr. What are your top goals for each child? What is the most realistic way to reach them? With a new baby and all of your kids......is a foreign language a top priority?

These are personal familial decisions. No one can decide those things other than you.

As far as all of the curriculum you have that isn't working........sometimes the fault isn't with the curriculum but the goals driving them. FOr example, I bought CW Homer b/c I wanted to simplify my writing time with my kids. My objective was not a need for a strong instructional writing technique. It was not simple to implement. It didn't work. It wasn't the materials defect if you look at it from an "objectives" POV. It was my desired goal from the product that was the defect b/c I already know how to teach writing; I wanted simple.

As you look at the curriculum that isn't working, perhaps you need to evaluate the positives and negatives of the different products and maybe that will help you focus on what it is that you actually need get.

:)

Pick something.

Finally, it seemed that God spoke to me--really--and said JUST PICK SOMETHING. It will be okay.

You have to think about how much time you have in the day, and consider whether you would really and truly use [insert product name here] or not. The truth is that you probably can't use all the things you've looked at, so just PICK SOMETHING. It will be okay. If you don't like it, you can try something else next year. Even if you do like it, you can try something next year.

It will be okay:D

This sounds like the homeschool mom's version of "Just STOP IT!" Good advice (for me, too - I'm unusually fuzzy on my choices this year, for some reason).

Well, I've homeschooled since the beginning and still have times I feel like that. Some years are worse than others. Years I've considered "key" seem worse.

So you aren't alone.

But in the end? You just pick it, pay for it, and enjoy it (or not....next year you can do something else).

Regardless, you aren't going to cover EVERYTHING. Regardless, your kids will have "gaps." Regardless, that would be true no matter what school, what curriculum, what program, what anything. Though we try to cover a good portion of things, we just can't cover everything, but by doing what we do, we're giving our kids basic knowledge, skills and tools, and such for the future. They need to have the ability to learn and know how to learn. They need basic skills on which to build future knowledge. But they don't have to know 100% of everything. You said you're christian? Did you know that the Bible says that though we could live forever, we can't EVER know absolutely everything about God and his creation? (my daughter isn't up for me to get the scripture for ya) That is how things are.

And above, someone mentioned your relationship with your kids. This is absolutely necessary. Good relationships and LIFE skills and tools are necessary. Your kids need YOU. They need good discipline (teaching/guidance). They need to know respect, kindness, giving, helping, sharing, self-control, self-discipline, and the list goes on. This is so much more important than whether they learn 3 languages by the time they are 18.

Anyway, I hope it helps to know that others are there too. A lot of it is to just accept this will happen to some degree and to remember the important things along the way.

Best to ya,

Well, as you've probably guessed by the advice I have offered so far, I am a fairly laid back kind of homeschool mom. We do the basics in a somewhat structured way and then we relax.

It certainly does help to have the advantage of perspective. My three oldest, 21, 19 and 15, relate that their happiest homeschool memories are read-aloud time, playing games (Scrabble, charades, Dutch Blitz and others), discussing movies (!), reading on a rainy day with a cup of hot chocolate, making something messy like a baking soda/vinegar volcano, putting on puppet shows, etc.

Yours are so young and, goodness, you have a newborn. I know you are worried that you'll ruin them if you don't cover all the subjects every day for 12 years. Don't worry about that. Try to think eternally. I'm often reminded of a dear homeschool family here in VA who lost several of their children in a gas explosion while on vacation. I don't remember the exact details and, honest, I'm not trying to frighten you, but I do want to urge you to think eternally.

When we are standing before God someday, He will not want to know whether our children mastered algebra or could recite Longfellow, he will want to know if we told them about His Son.

I know we still have to deal with testing (some states) and accountability. We know that our children will need skills to help them manage in this life. We are to "occupy" until He comes and that requires knowledge and skill. I believe if you pray for guidance and then trust Him to lead you, He will honor your desire to give your children a Christ-centered education and will lead you day by day.

I have to agree with another post here that suggested you skip the foreign language right now. Of course, you know what's best, but with all those little ones, I think I'd put that on the back burner for a year or two.

Also, I think writing thank-you notes and journal entries for a while could suffice for a 11yo's writing curriculum. If she ever says, "I hate it when...." have her write it out in an essay. If she wants something you don't think she needs, have her try to persuade you with an essay. There are so many ways to encourage writing. Then all you have to do is discuss what she wrote. If there are lots of misspelled words, make a list for her to study for a few days and then test her on them. Pick one or two things to discuss per writing assignment and have her fix them. I find that when my children write about something they have a passion for, they do not struggle to find words (not sure what you meant by struggling.)

When you have so many children and so many are still very young, ease up a bit on the academics and just try to enjoy each other. Ease up on the housework, too. Keep it simple.

HTH,

Help! How do you keep from getting overwhelmed with all the curriculum choices out there and all the methods of teaching/learning? I'm just so overwhelmed to the point of paralysis right now!

How do you set your mind at ease and just decide?

Oh boy, Sue, you and I should probably stay away from each other :lol:. I can get like this so easily. I am caught up in it right now, as a matter of fact, for dd13's History/Lit for next year. Dh sure wishes I would just pick something! I need to set a deadline for myself, and not let myself do this all summer - otherwise, I end up with no time to actually plan it out!

For some things, to keep me out of my inability-to make-decisions-quagmire, I just go with tried and true. Math is BJU (until that didn't work anymore, after Alg 1 - oh, what a sad day it was when I realized I was going to have to make another math decision for high school!), Grammar is BJU (until that didn't work w/dd#3 - GWG to the rescue!), science is Apologia (no easier decision than that one!). When I haven't had something else on the fire for writing, we go with Writing Strands as a default. Gets the job done.

Last year, I posted about 11,857 times about what on earth to do for Latin. I made myself positively sick over it. There was no reason to make it that hard - nothing's perfect, anyway!!! I went with something tried and true (Henle), it wasn't perfect, but it was in that category for a reason - gets the job done. We took a break, mixed it up a little w/Cambridge, but we're going back to Henle as our main program for the duration of high school. It simply works.

It's choosing for history that usually blows my mind. And this year, I'm all in a quandry over literature, even though I thought I made that decision months ago!

What makes it even worse for me is that I did find what I think is almost the perfect curriculum, but I finally had to admit that *I* can't use it - I'd sit there and stare into space, paralyzed by indecision, each and every week. I know myself - I'd make myself ill every week, instead of just once a year.

I say find your tried and true, or your 'gets the job done' curriculum. Then, once you've got that down, look at one or two things *if* you're up to it, and see, gradually, if you might branch off into this and that. In your case, ease of use, a few independent subjects, and several combined age subjects would be VERY HIGH on my list. You can only accomplish what one human can do in a day.

If you already have something on your shelves that might fit the bill, and there wasn't some real reason why it didn't work (rather than being just a little dry - oftentimes, dry can get the job done quite nicely), try it out again. If it still doesn't work, just sell it. I find I have to sell or give away some things, or they'll be sitting there, taunting me. "Why are you looking for another program? You bought me just last year! That grass is not so green! Wastrel!"

Anyway, I understand, Sue. I think we need to listen to Ellie, and Just pick something! :D

I'm not sure how old your kids are. I think they're older than mine. And maybe I'm a big loser, but I'm using everything I can the SWB has put out. I looked at mixing up everything this year, but I LIKE FLL. I LIKE SOTW. I found a new science. I like Artistic pursuits. I'm patiently waiting for Writing with Ease. I could think outside the box and go search all the curr. in the world to find something, OR I could use something that has been perfectly adequate for the last 2 years and could be even better if I really apply MYself. If the worst thing that happens is that my kids turn out like SWB's kids, I guess I can live with that! ;)

Kathleen in VA has some great big-picture thoughts. But I looked at her suggestions for teaching writing and thought, "I wouldn't do that."

Why? Because after five years of homeschooling, I'm learning that I need something structured to follow, if my kids are going to learn anything. Some people do the "fit it into life" thing very well. I am not one of them. Most of my wasted purchases come from the little extras that I think would be good to "fit in" when we have time at the end of the day. But the spare time at the end of the day never comes, since my oldest is slower than a slug with her school work.

I've also learned that my kids need stuff they can do independently to a certain degree. We have several days a month where they go to grandma's while I run errands/go to appointments/etc. If all the curriculum I have requires tons of interaction from me, it's not gonna get done. That's why I will never use Classical Writing or Right Start. They don't fit me well, and since I'm running the homeschool, I need stuff that I know I'll use easily. If my kids like it, that's a bonus.

I don't worry too much about whether my kids are going to like a certain curriculum. If we get part way through the year and it's obvious that my dc is floundering (like with R&S English), then I cut my losses and find something that works. If my kid bursts into tears when the book comes out, I know it's time to look around. Other than that, I don't worry too much about what my kids think. If they were in ps, they'd be stuck with whatever the district chose, whether or not it was any good.

I find that if stuff is swirling around in my head, it's time to write it down. To narrow down purchasing decisions, try making columns on a piece of paper: "Must Have", "Nice to Have", "I Just Really Want This 'Cause It Looks So Cool". Buy everything in Column 1, and think really hard about buying anything at all from Column 2. Lean toward "no". Column 3 is probably where your big money wasters will be. Be honest with yourself and you'll save yourself some serious dough and buyers' remorse. :thumbup1:

For all the stuff you already have, consider why you're not using it. If it's not a good fit for you and never will be, then pass it along to someone who would benefit from it -- someone NOT LIKE YOU. :lol: If you are certain you'll use it again, then keep it.

HTH.

I was already using other things before I discovered WTM. I moved slowly into many of WTM's suggestions. Those that worked and that I liked, I've stuck with. I really only change if I feel something hasn't worked that well....

I would read over the descriptions of each course you're looking to cover, such as math, spelling, etc. and decide what sounds like it would be a good fit for your children. Before you buy it to try, what might you already have that you can use alongside it, in place of it, as filler with it, etc.? Can you use it again if you have more than one child? How will it work best for your family? Is it all planned out or does it require a lot of work on your part? If so, do you think you'll be able to keep up with the work required of you?

For this next year, for instance, before I bought Singapore 5 and got extra practice workbooks to go along with it, I looked through all my math materials on my shelves. It turned out I had several good things that I could use to supplement my fifth grade math, as well as the CD for that level that I bought years ago for my older son, so I didn't buy any extra practice workbooks for next year, just the basics.