Menu

What are your favorite books of all time?

Historical Fiction: Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear's People of the... Silence, Owl, Raven, etc. (Native American)

I don't think I've met anyone else who has read and loved this series as I did. I devoured these as a kid! I grew up on a reservation, so these books and the Indian in the Cupboard series were my lifeblood. I'll have to check out your other recommendations. :)

This is almost impossible to answer-but I do love a good book thread, so I will chime in:

Farmer Boy, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs, by Tomie de Paola

LOTR - the chapter in ROTK which describes the developing relationship between Eowyn and Faramir is one of the most romantic stories I've ever read.

Redeeming Love and the Mark of the Lion series both took my breath away. Absolutely excellent.

The Once and Future King

Illusion by Paula Volsky - this is fantasy which is not usually my genre, but the story in this book is loosely patterned after the French Revolution. I love history so that is probably why it appeals to me so much. I love Dref!!

Jane Eyre- I think this book should be required reading for every young person!!

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Emma by Jane Austen

Non-Fiction:

Founding Mothers, by Cokie Roberts. This is such a fascinating and inspiring book!

The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom. This book was life-changing for me.

Anything and everything by David McCollough.

Favorite SL books: Johnny Tremain, Witch of Blackbird Pond, Carry On, Mr. Bowditch and Mara, Daughter of the Nile.

Edited by matermagistra

This is almost impossible to answer-but I do love a good book thread, so I will chime in:

Farmer Boy, by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs, by Tomie de Paola

LOTR - the chapter in ROTK which describes the developing relationship between Eowyn and Faramir is one of the most romantic stories I've ever read.

Redeeming Love and the Mark of the Lion series both took my breath away. Absolutely excellent.

The Once and Future King

Illusion by Paula Volsky - this is fantasy which is not usually my genre, but the story in this book is loosely patterned after the French Revolution. I love history so that is probably why it appeals to me so much. I love Dref!!

Jane Eyre- I think this book should be recommended reading for every young person!!

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Emma by Jane Austen

Non-Fiction:

Founding Mothers, by Cokie Roberts. This is such a fascinating and inspiring book!

The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom. This book was life-changing for me.

Anything and everything by David McCollough.

Favorite SL books: Johnny Tremain, Witch of Blackbird Pond, Carry On, Mr. Bowditch and Mara, Daughter of the Nile.

How could I forget Little Britches? I was deeply affected by this book.

Fiction:

Pride and Prejudice - because I'm a die-hard romantic

Trumpet of the Swan - because I have 3 "different" dc - one without fingers on her right hand, one Aspie and one allergic to life.

HP series - just so much fun for the whole family

Non-fiction:

Bible - self-explanatory

Edited by Sandra in FL

I love lots of fiction, but my favorite rereads are:

Pride and Prejudice

Mary Stewart's Moonspinners (or any Mary Stewart)

Mary Higgins Clark's early books

A Tale of Two Cities

Non-fiction:

It would be easy to say the Bible but beyond that I don't have a lot of favorites. I like history and biographies in general.

I don't think I've met anyone else who has read and loved this series as I did. I devoured these as a kid! I grew up on a reservation, so these books and the Indian in the Cupboard series were my lifeblood. I'll have to check out your other recommendations. :)

Yeah, you are the only other person I've met who has even read these... well, my mom reads all kinds of stuff like this, and when I go home, she lets me raid her bookshelves. You might like Michener's stuff and Jean M. Auel - some find all of the detail dry, but I like a good, detailed, well-researched historical fiction any day! Happy reading!!:001_smile:

I'll chime in on A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I always wanted to start with the "A's" in the library and move down the alphabet. Such a fantastic novel.

Plus, many of those already mentioned: Farmer Boy, LOTR, Harry Potter, and the Outlander series. Diana Gabaladon is very much a modern day Dickens in her description of Jacobite and colonial life. Be forewarned, she's usually found in the Romance section although her novels are more fiction than the R.

First 2 that pop into my head are The Secret Garden and The Outsiders. I have read both dozens and dozens of times and STILL cry when I read the Outsiders. Every. Single. Time.

I have different authors I like. I get into reading a particular genre for a while so no set book, author etc. Sometimes I get hooked on a series. But those top two I always always have in my collection and reread them often.

I want to read The Little White Horse but have had no luck finding it the last few times I looked. Did you read it recently and if so, how did you get a copy?

I bought one copy new from a bookseller long ago. I have a copy I found on e-bay a couple of years ago, and a copy I found (for $5!!!) at an "antique" store. Mostly what I see on e-bay are paperback copies that have those stupid descriptions making it sound like a teen romance story or something. :glare: I haven't looked in awhile, though.

I'm trying to read The Lord of the Rings, but at the moment I want a little bit to gouge my eyes out. Am I ever going to get to the story? :tongue_smilie:

Did you read The Hobbit first? You need to do that.

Otherwise, the story starts right out at the beginning. ;-) But it's a looooong story. :001_smile:

I read a *lot*. I am going to paste a couple of lists I have made here:

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky-I think Dostoyevsky is one of the greatest writers of all time. There are a LOT of characters and he gets sort of soap-opera-esque, but one forgives that.

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier-A girl's coming of age story.

The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood-A take on The Odyssey from Penelope's point of view.

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James-A ghost story...of sorts.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley-When people ask what modern book has impacted you the most, I choose this one.

Persuasion by Jane Austen-It's romantic from a woman's point of view in the same way Pride and Prejudice is romantic from a girl's point of view.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte-Because if you read Austen, you need to read a Bronte sister as a sort of antidote for what Austen tells us about the social classes.

The Age of Innocence or The Buccaneers by Edith Wharton-I think these are almost as relevant now as they were then, despite the prevalence of divorce.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman-I love modern day fairy tales.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman-ditto, with a twist.

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett-This is one of the most hilarious books that I have ever read. Rarely do you get a funny take on the apocalypse.

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift-nobody does satire like Swift.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald-I appreciate it when everything is sort of tied up in a bow at the end. Ultimately, I guess it's a book about what it means to be a friend.

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut-If you're not sure what humanism is, read this book.

Walden by Henry Thoreau

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

The Federalist Papers

The Anti-Federalist Papers

Common Sense by Thomas Paine

The Crucible by Arthur Miller

My Antonia by Willa Cather

Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin

A Vindication of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Red Badge of Courage by William Faulkner

Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper

Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

The Virginian by Owen Wister

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Billy Budd by Herman Melville

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose

Silent Spring by Rachel Carson

Profiles in Courage by John F. Kennedy

#1 of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird. I have learned something new everytime I read/teach this book. There are so many areas to concentrate on while reading this...love it, love it, love it!

I cry everytime after the verdict when Reverend Sykes tells Scout to stand out of respect for her father "Miss Jean Louise stand up...your father's passin'"

I am going to have a hard time narrowing it down!! I love books!!

Fiction:

My favorite series ever is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I read them every fall.

Persuasion

Harry Potter series, especially Deathly Hallows

The Help

Anne of Green Gables

Redeeming Love

The Shack

Memoirs of a Geisha

And just for sheer fun and fluff, the Sookie Stackhouse books

Nonfiction:

I rarely make it through a nonfiction selection, so I guess I can't pick one. I am just not a fan of nonfiction.

Nonfiction: The Problem from Hell by Samantha Power really had a big impact on me and how I view history. It was also very depressing.

Fiction: The World According to Garp, The Age of Innocence, even though I love the House of Mirth I can only read half because I can't bear to see Lily Bart go down, all Judy Blume, The Giving Tree (even though I can't read it without crying), Little House books

The Divine Comedy

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings

Emma

Gaudy Night and other books by Sayers

any Jeeves books by Wodehouse

The Great Gatsby

The Bronze Bow

Orthodoxy by Chesterton

Being Human by Ranald MaCaulay

Yes, Prime Minister

Chronicles of Narnia

Love this thread. :)

Favorite Fiction

Pride & Prejudice - my absolute all-time favorite

Jane Eyre

To Kill a Mockingbird

Harry Potter books

A Thousand Splendid Suns - this one, by far, is amongst one of the best books I have ever read

The Help

The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende and anything else by her, but this is her best. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Allende

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy .. but the first book is quite boring and confusing in the first 60-70 pages. Hang in there. It does get better! Yes, they are graphic. But I tend to look beyond that and just focus on the story

Favorite Non-Fiction

The Geography of Bliss – non-fiction, very insightful, and humorous

I'm not really good with non-fiction. My mind tends to wander.

For holy scripture, I love The Hidden Words, since we're Baha'is.