Menu

More spelling questions . . .

kandty

What are some resources for dicatation? Either complete spelling programs or just a book. Does Spelling Power have dictation? I already know All About Spelling does, so any but that one. (AAS has not worked for us.)

Also, what resource do you recommend for a general spelling rules book? I have heard of ABC's and Their Tricks, but are there others? I am still working on reworking spelling for my oldest and I want to include dictation, but I am not creative enough to come up with sentences on my own with our current words.

Thanks everyone for your reviews!!

Have you ever looked at Spelling Wisdom? That's full of dictations.

I have but I would love some feedback, if anyone else has used it.

This has caught my eye too. Can you give me some more feedback on how you use it. Thanks!

The Dictation Spelling Book by Rossman - 2 volumes, ~4th-8th or 9th grade (about 2 selections a week), lots of quotes - this is what we will start later in the year

The Modern Speller - 2 volumes, 2nd to 8th grade, incremental (new words are noted), 4 selections per week - this is a close second, but has some nasty racial stuff in the later years, which would be harder to edit out than the above book because of the books incremental nature

We LOVE Spelling Plus & the Dictation Resource Book.

SWR has a list with phonograms on one side & spelling rules on the other. Don't know if they sell it by itself.

We will be using the Dictation Resource book this year as we are skipping a formal spelling program. (We have too much else on our plates!) I'm playing it by ear on how it'll go. :-)

The Dictation Spelling Book by Rossman - 2 volumes, ~4th-8th or 9th grade (about 2 selections a week), lots of quotes - this is what we will start later in the year

The Modern Speller - 2 volumes, 2nd to 8th grade, incremental (new words are noted), 4 selections per week - this is a close second, but has some nasty racial stuff in the later years, which would be harder to edit out than the above book because of the books incremental nature

Can you expand on this? We're using the lower levels of these right now.

:iagree:

They are great, especially for the price. I recommend them for many of my students. I used them briefly with my daughter, she is a good speller and worked through them quickly. I expect to get more use out of them for my son, he is more mathematically than verbally inclined. They go up to about a 6th grade level.

They are nicely organized by pattern and rules. The dictation sentences are uninspiring but packed with spelling words, they get a lot of words in per sentence!