Menu

Back-to-School Traditions

We're fairly new, this will be our 3rd "first day of homeschool". We like to buy new school supplies that we don't need :) (we buy what we need too because they are on sale now but I like to let the kids pick out things) we buy a new 50 cent pencil box (and recycle the old one) we pick out cute new pencils (even tho we have tons of boring ones) and we pick out a "cute" notebook of paper. I like to get a back to school surprise too. The first year was midyear & it was art supplied. The next year it was a dissection kit my oldest wanted, and this year it is an explorer backpack. I also like to let them open up all the packages of new crayons, pencils, markers, etc themselves :) on the first day, make a banner, etc.

Edited by rocketgirl

Our tradition is for all of us to eat lunch at my son's favorite Chinese restaurant the Friday before school begins.

This year he's starting high school and will have a barbeque with his advisor class the Monday before school starts. The advisor class is made up of about 20 students who stay together for the first period (advisor period) all four years. Supposedly, the kids develop strong bonds with each other and create their own traditions. I'll be interested to see what my son's group does in the next four years.

We decorate our desks (lots of stickers). We usually have some sort of celebration - like having a parade or making balloon animals (my oldest is only seven). I haven't thought much about this year - I like the going out to breakfast idea.

I've heard of others who sit on their porch in their pjs and eat ice cream while waving at the other neighborhood kids getting on the bus. That makes me laugh, but I don't think I have the courage.

We usually go out to lunch before school starts. This year, however, we all had different start dates. We will go out to dinner at the end of the week to celebrate our first week of school. I bought my dd a copy of Silverlicious, and my ds a box of Payday candy bars (favorite) from Costco. Something different, but still good.

I've heard of others who sit on their porch in their pjs and eat ice cream while waving at the other neighborhood kids getting on the bus. That makes me laugh, but I don't think I have the courage.

;) But we are the ones that send our kids to school. :) (this is the Afterschooling part of the forum).

^ Thank you for saying that! :iagree:

I am a teacher so it is my back to school time as well. This was/is our last week as we all start back next week in various ways. I do not have students this early, so my awesome principal always "makes" me take off the kids first day of school so I can be the one to pick them up and hear all the news.

This year I will be taking my son to 3 year old pre-school. He is so excited about it, and I cannot wait to see how it goes for him. My daughter is heading to public school from private school and is also super excited. Today we walk down to the school to find out who her teacher is. My husband is also off for their first day. They both have half days so we will probably go out to lunch or for ice cream.

Could you post a link? I'd like to see what you're thinking of. :001_smile:

Here's the blog post where the pin originated. I'm still thinking about what to put on the flag, though, since these are intended as thank you gifts. I like the idea of having the kids write a note for their new teachers and rolling those up inside, too.

We are doing a back-to-school party on Sunday....likely dinner and movie night. Also, filling kids backpacks with some small toys for the first morning. ;)

Also, going to be putting cards in their lunchboxes - likely hiding a note in DD"s sandwich simply because I"ve threatened to trick her that way. :lol:

I saw a cute idea on Pinterest using insulated tumblers (the ones that include a straw with a lid and replace disposable cups) and thought about doing that for their teachers.

This is what I am giving the teachers this year! I bought the reuseable coffee mugs though. I bought two of them (one for each teacher) and then threw in tea bags and Viva coffees from Starbucks. We made a card that says "Have a great year" with a digital picture of the kids on it.