Menu

Latin SAT II or is the National Latin Exam enough

Good question. This year, my 10th grade son took the NLE, the ACT (state accountability), AP Bio and will sit the SAT Bio test in early June. Frankly this testing business has burned me out, but the list is short compared to what many juniors who attend competitive colleges do.

We have obviously not "been there and done that" yet. In my earlier plans, I had figured that The Boy would take the AP Vergil exam, but now I see that many selective colleges want to have applicants take x number of SAT subjects. In my son's case, the SAT Latin exam might be a good choice, but it does seem redundant, doesn't it? This is one of those questions that we will ask an admissions person sometime.

Jane

Redundant, yes, but if you were studying for one, wouldn't that help with the other? Double the benefits of the study? Or are they very different? This is something we'll be thinking about in a few years as well as dd really wants scholarships so she can leave home to go to university/college.

According to the Cambridge Latin Yahoo group that I'm on.....I asked the question and the high school teachers' responses were overwhelming pro the AP Latin test. The majority felt that college admissions personnel look at NLE more of an award rather than proficiency in Latin. GO figure...since my eldest is just in 8th grade, I'm not there yet but thought I'd pass this on.

Myra

Well, my teen is going to be hitting them both ... plus the AP Latin exam.

She's done NLE tests three times now. Currently a junior, she just took the AP Latin exam (Cicero/Catallus) and will take the SAT 2 in Latin in a couple of weeks. Next year she'll do AP Latin (Cicero/Ovid) and a fourth NLE exam.

She's doing the SAT 2 test since a few of the colleges that she is interested in do require several SAT 2 test scores. She is doing an out of the home AP Latin class since she loves the subject; she intends to pursue Latin or the Classics as a major in college. We hope that her AP and NLE scores will serve to strengthen her college application.

Regards,

Kareni

Dd didn't do the NLE -- due to my own laziness. :D

She took the Latin SAT-II because most of the colleges she applied to required three SAT-II's from all students, and since she was a homeschooler we wanted to do the overkill thing. (Hey, she gots LOTS of generous merit aid offers, so in our case overkill was a good thing.....)

She took the Latin AP exam. Her 5 got her out of the foreign language requirement at her college, which is a HUGE blessing.

I know I should have my younger ones do the NLE, but I just can't get psyched.....

I like the NLE (and it's sister exam, the National Mythology Exam) as a good way to gently introduce testing. For many in my co-op it has been their first introduction to bubble tests.

That said, my dds will do both.

HTH

Also, keep in mind, they are not the same kind of test. The NLE is an activity, not an assessment exam like the SAT or AP. It's sponsored by the American Classical League and National Junior Classical League, both respected organizations that have been around for a long time, promoting the Greek and Latin Classics in education. It's well-written and gives students a chance to see how they are doing. For seniors at the III-IV and V level, there's the possibility of small, renewable scholarships. I don't think schools give college credit for exam scores, but if you get a medal or certificate, I'd sure put it on a college application. It's nice practice for taking high stakes testing without being a high stakes test.

The SAT Subject Exam is an assessment and I believe some schools will give college credit based on the score, like the Advanced Placement Exam. Both are administered through the College Board.

Well, my teen is going to be hitting them both ... plus the AP Latin exam.

She's done NLE tests three times now. Currently a junior, she just took the AP Latin exam (Cicero/Catallus) and will take the SAT 2 in Latin in a couple of weeks. Next year she'll do AP Latin (Cicero/Ovid) and a fourth NLE exam.

The problem for most people is that the AP Literature exam for Latin is being discontinued after this coming school year. So, Cicero/Ovid won't be an option after May 2009. (source: LCC, Andrew Campbell)

The only AP exam for 2009-2010 will be the AP Latin: Vergil

Of course, the SAT 2 will still be an option.

asta

The problem for most people is that the AP Literature exam for Latin is being discontinued after this coming school year. So, Cicero/Ovid won't be an option after May 2009. (source: LCC, Andrew Campbell)

The only AP exam for 2009-2010 will be the AP Latin: Vergil

Yes, I know, and I think it is a great shame. My daughter's Latin instructor is heartbroken at this development as the program she teaches has had revolving AP exams such that a student could study at the AP level for four years and barely repeat any material. [students can enter her Latin 1 classes as young as fifth grade.] I know that Latin instructors are banding together to try to have the College Board decision reversed or changed so that other authors besides Vergil might be incorporated. I hope they are successful; I know that my daughter is truly looking forward to doing Ovid next year.

Regards,

Kareni

My daughter's Latin instructor is heartbroken at this development as the program she teaches has had revolving AP exams such that a student could study at the AP level for four years and barely repeat any material. [students can enter her Latin 1 classes as young as fifth grade.] I know that Latin instructors are banding together to try to have the College Board decision reversed or changed so that other authors besides Vergil might be incorporated. I hope they are successful; I know that my daughter is truly looking forward to doing Ovid next year.

Regards,

Kareni

The Latin teacher who writes the blog The Latin Zone has posted a copy of the letter that she wrote to the College Board after the decision to drop the Latin literature exam was announced. It is worth reading. The response of the College Board (to which I say Pfui!) can be found by scrolling up from the original letter.

Jane

The Latin teacher who writes the blog The Latin Zone has posted a copy of the letter that she wrote to the College Board after the decision to drop the Latin literature exam was announced. It is worth reading. The response of the College Board (to which I say Pfui!) can be found by scrolling up from the original letter.

Jane

Thanks, Jane, for sharing the link to this letter. The Latin Zone creator's letter was thoughtful indeed. While I can appreciate the argument from the College Board about the value of offering an AP exam in more languages, I wish it was not at the expense of a second AP Latin exam.

Regards,

Kareni

According to the Cambridge Latin Yahoo group that I'm on.....I asked the question and the high school teachers' responses were overwhelming pro the AP Latin test. The majority felt that college admissions personnel look at NLE more of an award rather than proficiency in Latin. GO figure...since my eldest is just in 8th grade, I'm not there yet but thought I'd pass this on.

Myra

Brigitte in NC's husband (my dd's Latin teacher) definitely agrees.