Menu

UC (university of california) question

Hi,

I am wondering about UC admission requirements. How have you done this through homeschooling high school? Specifically, how did you meet the a-g required classes? I know a few DC's here are attending on test scores alone. I believe that Dd will do the same. But, have any of you found a way to "certify" your a-g classes?

Thanks in advance!!

We homeschooled in CA up until we moved to MN two years ago, and have several friends who've gone through the UC admissions process with their homeschooled kids. When my oldest finished 8th grade in CA, the whole "UC approved" course issue was a factor in deciding how we were going to approach high school. Personally, I think the whole "UC approval" thing is a racket. It's ridiculous, really.

First, it is not possible for an individual to have their courses approved by the UC, as the UC will only approve courses by "accredited public or private schools." Here's the UC Doorways site, if you haven't seen it already, and here is the link to the portion of the UC admissions site that deals specifically with homeschoolers.

However, it's not necessary to have a-g approved courses, unless you want your student to pursue UC admission "in the statewide context." In that case, your best option is to enroll your student in an accredited ISP or school that has a-g courses approved.

There are other routes to UC admission though, and those are the ones commonly used by homeschoolers. A student can be admitted by examination alone (as you mentioned), or through "Admission by Exception."

For more info, I'd suggest asking on the HSC yahoogroup, since lots of parents there have been through this already.

that was informative. It IS ridiculous that UC has these specifics regarding admittance. In order to gain admittance as a homeschooler, one would have to apply as if an out of state/international student. Oh well, at lease it is doable. The charter school (we are leaving) cannot certify a-g curricula either.

thanks a bunch!

There are other routes to UC admission though, and those are the ones commonly used by homeschoolers. A student can be admitted by examination alone (as you mentioned), or through "Admission by Exception."

It's possible to use SAT subject tests, AP exams, and CC classes to satisfy the a-g requirements, although I'm hoping my son can get accepted by "examination alone." Still, he'll be taking SAT subject tests anyway, as they're useful for other reasons and for applying to other colleges, too. We'll try to cover some of the bases with subject tests. Buried on the UC website is a chart showing which scores on the subject tests satisfy a-g requirements -- they're quite low, something like 540 or 550. If anyone is interested I can dig that out, but I don't have time at the moment.

From the link that sailmom gives for hs'ers:

Q: What if my home schooled student does not meet the Eligibility by Examination Alone criteria? Is there another path to UC admissions?

A: Yes. Students who do not meet the Eligibility by Examination Alone criteria in order to become statewide eligible (to all UC campuses), may still apply to the University and hope to be admitted by exception. To do so, students should do everything possible to demonstrate subject matter competency in each of the "a-g" subject areas by taking SAT II subject area exams and/or community college courses. They should also take the SAT Reasoning or ACT exam. In their applications, students should demonstrate other skills and strengths, whether in leadership, community service, athletics, the arts, or other areas.

This page also talks about this:

... you can use subject tests to satisfy the "a-g" requirements listed above.

but last I knew, for fall 2012, the guarantee that a dc would be accepted to one of the UC campuses via Eligibility by Examination was being diluted with some sort of a review/subjective hoop/black box follow-up step.

OK, it was easy to find here: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/counselors/freshman/minimum-requirements/examination/index.html

"Good to know

Students applying for 2012 or later no longer will be guaranteed admission based solely on eligibility by examination. Nevertheless, if they excel in their examinations — yet don't fulfill the statewide or local eligibility requirements — they will still receive a full review of their applications.

more"

I only glanced at the "more" link, but you will want to read it closely.

As a curmudgeonly resident of the Golden State, I encourage you to also apply to private and other out of state public or private universities. Check the Western Tuition Exchange for out of state public univ. with discounts for CA residents.

The risks of taking more than four years to graduate and double digit tuition increases are real. (We have two relatives in school at UCSD now.)

The risks of taking more than four years to graduate and double digit tuition increases are real. (We have two relatives in school at UCSD now.)

:iagree:

I went to UCSB, and my husband did both undergrad and graduate school at UCD. All of our siblings went to UCD also. My husband's brother went to UCD med school, and his sister went to grad school at UCD. None of us finished our undergrad in four years. It was tough getting the classes we needed in the mid-late 90s, and I'm sure it's worse now. We know now is that the UCs weren't the financial "deal" we were always told they were.

However, it's not necessary to have a-g approved courses, unless you want your student to pursue UC admission "in the statewide context." In that case, your best option is to enroll your student in an accredited ISP or school that has a-g courses approved.

Define "accredited ISP." :-)

We just went through this last year. My son was accepted to UCI, UCSD, UCLA, waitlisted at Davis and rejected at Berkeley. He chose UCLA and is currently attending a special freshmen only summer session. So, this is fairly fresh in my mind.:)

He applied by examination only. But, here is a page that shows you how to meet the a-g requirements by SAT subject tests, AP exams, etc.

Hope that helps.:)

here is a page that shows you how to meet the a-g requirements by SAT subject tests, AP exams, etc.

OK, I found it! Here is the same info Ronette links to, but in a chart, on this pdf (pp. 6-7) found on this page for counselors. I find the counselors' chart easier to read than the text on the site Ronette linked to (above) for students. (The chart keeps getting harder to find on the website; it used to be its own download, linked separately; now it's part of the handbook for counselors.)

Ronette, congratulations on so many UC acceptances for your son! :001_smile: Also in the handbook I linked above it gives the number of applications received by each campus -- I think for Berkeley it was 50,000 and for UCLA it was a whopping 57,000!

~Laura

Define "accredited ISP." :-)

I'm lumping public charter schools, public school independent study programs and private school independent study programs with approved a-g courses in there all together. :D

It's the UC's wording... not mine! Clearly, "accredited" refers to "has jumped through the hoops to get courses a-g approved."

Seriously. Who thinks up this stuff???

From their website:

How to convert your test scores to UC Scores:

If you took the SAT Reasoning Test:

• Convert your highest scores in critical reading, math and writing from a single sitting and your two highest SAT Subject Tests from different subject areas to equivalent UC Scores (see the translation table below).
  • Add all five UC Scores to produce your UC Score total. For example: critical reading + math + writing + Subject Test 1 + Subject Test 2 = UC Score total.

If you took the ACT With Writing exam:

• Convert your highest math, reading, science and combined English/writing score from a single sitting to equivalent UC Scores (see the translation table below).

• Multiply the sum of your converted math, reading and science scores by two-thirds, then add the converted English/writing score.

• Add this subtotal to your two highest SAT Subject Test scores from two different subject areas, which are also converted to equivalent UC Scores. For example: (math + reading + science) x 0.667 + English/writing + Subject Test 1 + Subject Test 2) = UC Score total.

:001_huh::tongue_smilie::lol:

Seriously. Who thinks up this stuff???

From their website:

How to convert your test scores to UC Scores:

If you took the SAT Reasoning Test:

• Convert your highest scores in critical reading' date=' math and writing from a single sitting and your two highest SAT Subject Tests from different subject areas to equivalent UC Scores (see the translation table below).

[*']Add all five UC Scores to produce your UC Score total. For example: critical reading + math + writing + Subject Test 1 + Subject Test 2 = UC Score total.

If you took the ACT With Writing exam:

• Convert your highest math, reading, science and combined English/writing score from a single sitting to equivalent UC Scores (see the translation table below).

• Multiply the sum of your converted math, reading and science scores by two-thirds, then add the converted English/writing score.

• Add this subtotal to your two highest SAT Subject Test scores from two different subject areas, which are also converted to equivalent UC Scores. For example: (math + reading + science) x 0.667 + English/writing + Subject Test 1 + Subject Test 2) = UC Score total.

:001_huh::tongue_smilie::lol:

The same people who devise the income tax laws. Seriously, it's probably the same type of bureaucratic process that produces both.

For those dc's accepted by examination, were you questioned at all about transcripts and curriculum choices? For example, how exactly did you fulfill the foreign language requirement? Just wondering about the level of inquisition the uc admissions people have. Thanks again!

I don't have direct experience with this, but have heard that of the UC's, Riverside is the one that is most homeschooling-friendly. Of course, it's not one of the top UC's either.

Ocean Grove is one of the local ISP that offers A-G credit. When I looked into this two years ago, it was hard to get a straight story from them about high school classes in 8th grade--they kept changing their stance, and it messed up some folks. However, that was during a change in the law, and it may not have entirely been their fault.

There are some very good ES's that specialize in high school and are clear in their communication. My recollection is that you HAD TO use a specific curriculum and take their final exam, and that community college was heavily relied on for science/lab and for foreign language credit. I was reluctant to depend on that because I know how CC classes are being cancelled or have waiting lists, and I didn't want to bet on them.

The people I know IRL who are homeschooling high school are mostly planning on junior year transfer from CC's if they are targetting the UC or Cal State systems. Clearly it IS possible to get into UC from homeschooling, but it's very tricky.

For those dc's accepted by examination, were you questioned at all about transcripts and curriculum choices? For example, how exactly did you fulfill the foreign language requirement? Just wondering about the level of inquisition the uc admissions people have. Thanks again!

We have not received any questions. :)

Really, thanks a bunch. We are in California also, and I really don't want to cross them off our list for college because of a-g requirements. I want to keep everything open! Thanks for not closing the door on UC's.

So, what did you use for foreign language? Also, if you don't mind, could you let us know about the other courses and which curriculum you used?

Whatever information you are willing to share will be soooo helpful!!!

thanks again,

PS big congrats on your DC's acceptance to so many UC's!

Really, thanks a bunch. We are in California also, and I really don't want to cross them off our list for college because of a-g requirements. I want to keep everything open! Thanks for not closing the door on UC's.

So, what did you use for foreign language? Also, if you don't mind, could you let us know about the other courses and which curriculum you used?

Whatever information you are willing to share will be soooo helpful!!!

thanks again,

PS big congrats on your DC's acceptance to so many UC's!

Sorry, I missed this one before.:) Thanks for the congratulations.

I don't know that it mattered too much what our courses were since he applied by examination only. They didn't ask for course descriptions or anything so they aren't aware of the curriculum we used which included Apologia for several sciences courses. I know that the UC system doesn't accept religious science materials. They just never asked.;)

For foreign language, he took 4 years of Latin. He will have to take a minimum of 2 quarters of another language (Spanish or German or French, I think) since he didn't take one of those in high school. He's actually looking forward to taking Spanish.

I'd be happy to share other classes and curriculum but none of them met a-g requirements.

He's at a freshman only summer session for 6 weeks right now before the fall quarter starts. He's taking 11 units-Poy Sci for gen ed, a freshman writing class and "civic engagement." All of the students are taking the writing and "civic engagement" and had a choice of 1 of 4 gen ed classes.

He was home last weekend and I asked him if he felt that his homeschool pursuit prepared him for UCLA. He said, "Oh yeah! More than prepared me."

I'd be glad to offer any other help I can.:)

Oh, BTW, you can use the "TAG" program through one of the community colleges in CA and get guaranteed acceptance to 7 UC campuses.

My sister is just getting started at UCSB as a jr. after completing the TAG program at Santa Barbara City College.

This is a great option for many including those that might not qualify by examination only and don't have an accredited school where they can get the a-g requirements met.

thank you!

Did you send in a high school diploma? Since he did so well on his exams, was he offered any merit aid?

Did he complete any online AP classes? What about AP tests/SAT2's....OK, enough questions for you (this time)!!!

You have been very helpful:)

Thanks from another mom in California,

P.S. I will research "TAG"

thank you!

Did you send in a high school diploma?

No. We did not send a diploma. He did the online app for the UC which asked for his grades and courses through his jr. year, the courses he was taking during the 1st semester of his sr. year and the courses he planned to take the 2nd semester of senior year. His final transcripts were due on July 15th and have been accepted by UCLA

He denoted on his app that he was applying by examination only.

Since he did so well on his exams, was he offered any merit aid?

Did he complete any online AP classes? What about AP tests/SAT2's....OK, enough questions for you (this time)!!!

He was not offered any merit aid. We hope that he will get a high enough gpa over his first couple of quarters to qualify. At parent orientation, the financial guy said that if they get a 3.6 or higher over the first two quarters, they will get merit aid.

He did not complete any online AP classes or take any AP tests. He did take 4 community college courses.

He took 3 SAT 2 tests: Math 2, Latin and Biology. To apply by exam only, you had to have 2 SAT 2's.

Just for reference, so you know what scores did not get any merit offers: SAT=2220; Math 2 SAT 2=800; Biology SAT 2=730 (if I remember right); Latin SAT 2=670. We didn't report his Latin score since he only needed to report two.

You have been very helpful:)

Thanks from another mom in California,

P.S. I will research "TAG"

You're welcome.:)