Menu

What do you know about the preservative BHT?

I just posted this in my thread from yesterday about my dd's allergic reaction, but it might get lost. I just noticed on the cereal box that BHT was added to ensure quality. I've been reading about it a little, and I'm wondering if I've found the culprit. I can't be sure, of course, but it makes me nauseated to read about it. I was just wondering if any of you have any knowledge about it. And Anna just said to me, "Mom, you need to ask the Well Trained Mind people what they know about it." LOL!

I am feeling so sad because I used to cook almost everything from scratch, but I've gotten slack with it. I hate the never ending "beat myself up syndrome" that goes along with mothering.

I don't know much about it, but it has been used in packaging for decades--it's not a new thing at all. I would be pretty surprised if your DD had not had it many times before.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't new, and I'm sure she has had it before, but she had had every other thing she ate for breakfast yesterday too. I might be grasping at straws here, but I know people can develop allergies slowly and then all of a sudden have a severe reaction. I don't know. I'm waiting to hear when her appointment with the allergist is now.

BHT is in a *LOT* of foods, especially fatty ones or yeasty ones (it can act as a defoamer). It is also often added to medicines and to cosmetics as well.

The Feingold diet is designed to avoid BHT. Some kids who were thought to be hyperactive/autistic are actually reactive to BHT and its cousin BHA.

We avoid BHT but we are not allergic to it. BHT is a fairly rare thing to be allergic to...

My girls don't tolerate BHT, but it's an intolerance reaction, GI and behavior stuff.

Your dd's reaction sounds like an allergic reaction. I don't know if people can be allergic to BHT. Responses to your other post have given good ideas about most likely allergens--cross contamination with nuts, fish from the gelatin, wheat or dairy.

I also wanted to mention that gelatin contains a sulfite residue from processing that is not on the label. My girls are intolerant to sulfites but I do know several people who are allergic. Many asthmatics react to sulfites. Corn syrup and cornstarch have unlabelled sulfite residue as well.

Amy

My girls don't tolerate BHT, but it's an intolerance reaction, GI and behavior stuff.

Your dd's reaction sounds like an allergic reaction. I don't know if people can be allergic to BHT. Responses to your other post have given good ideas about most likely allergens--cross contamination with nuts, fish from the gelatin, wheat or dairy.

I also wanted to mention that gelatin contains a sulfite residue from processing that is not on the label. My girls are intolerant to sulfites but I do know several people who are allergic. Many asthmatics react to sulfites. Corn syrup and cornstarch have unlabelled sulfite residue as well.

Amy

I was reading about BHT and sulfites just now as this thread got me interested in learning more. One site said BHT is added to butter and sulfites are added to salads. I checked the labels on both of these things in my fridge and both did not list any additives - just the basic ingredients. So my question is, is it possible that both of these items actually have additives but they're just not on the label? And, if so, how do they get away with not including that? And, what can I do to avoid these if they aren't even on the label?

Dd18 is asthmatic and we've been trying for months to determine her triggers. I'm wondering if this hasn't been the problem all along, but how would I know if these things aren't required to be on labels?

Just throwing this out there for anyone who might have any words of wisdom.

I have been avoiding BHA & BHT since about 1989. There are many foods without it. Many cereals don't have it. I am pretty sure BHT is banned (at least in children's cereals) in Europe and has been for a long time.

If it's not on the lable, you should be pretty confident it's not in the product. BHT is more frequently found in dry, packaged foods such as cereal, Hamburger Helper, dry soups-- that sort of thing. Many other foods as well, but certainly not in everything, thankfully.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/foodcookingchemistry/a/bha-bht-preservatives.htm

http://www.wisegeek.com/on-nutrition-labels-what-is-bht.htm

Edited by LibraryLover

I just try to avoid foods that have it. It's why I make my own mayo and prefer to make my own bread. I read about it over 30 years ago in a book called "The Supermarket Handbook." Good book which explains all that stuff and how to buy food without the preservatives and fillers and whatnot at your local grocery store. I think it's still in print, if you're interested.

Kathleen, trace amounts of sulfites, below a specific number of parts per million, are not required to be listed on labels. Unfortunately, some people react to levels of sulfites below that level.

This website helped me figure out what foods to avoid in order to limit sulfites. Start with artificial sulfites and don't worry about natural sulfites until you see if there's any improvement. Grapes and grape juice are the one exception--they're pretty high, so it's worth avoiding them along with the artificials.

http://www.learningtarget.com/nosulfites/index.htm

There is extensive research on the sulfites/asthma connection. The majority of asthma sufferers react to sulfites. I have no idea if BHT could cause asthma, but because the data on sulfites and asthma is solid, that seems like a good place to start. Good luck.

Amy

Kathleen, trace amounts of sulfites, below a specific number of parts per million, are not required to be listed on labels. Unfortunately, some people react to levels of sulfites below that level.

This website helped me figure out what foods to avoid in order to limit sulfites. Start with artificial sulfites and don't worry about natural sulfites until you see if there's any improvement. Grapes and grape juice are the one exception--they're pretty high, so it's worth avoiding them along with the artificials.

http://www.learningtarget.com/nosulfites/index.htm

There is extensive research on the sulfites/asthma connection. The majority of asthma sufferers react to sulfites. I have no idea if BHT could cause asthma, but because the data on sulfites and asthma is solid, that seems like a good place to start. Good luck.

Amy

Thank you.:)