Menu

AAS Whiteboard Size?

PIE!

Hi,

We're starting AAS this year. Do we really need a 2 foot by 3 foot magnet board? I've found plenty of 17 inch by 23 inch boards on sale this week, and I'd much rather get one of those if it'll work. But I'd hate to get one, find out it's much too small, and still have to buy a bigger one later.

If you want to be able to fit the whole alphabet across the top, you'll need the 2'x3'. Anything smaller is going to require that it wrap around to a second line, and once you start adding tiles from other groups like consonant or vowel pairs, you won't have any room to write.

I hated using the big board. It was too big to put in front of us at a desk and it didn't work well to leave it on the wall and do it standing up. DH attached 2 smaller ones together (it was actually a large one that the frame had come loose on and he cut it down to the size I wanted and put backing on it) that we can fold and put away. I saw magnetic whiteboards at Walmart a couple of weeks ago that you could do the same thing with. They didn't have a frame so they would be easy to attach in the middle. They were $5 ea and were by Board Dudes. They came in different colors and were with the locker supplies. I'll see if I can find a link and post later.

I bought a smaller one at first when I couldn't find a large one. It was a pain and I ended up getting the 2x3. It helps to have the tiles all set out and the groupings as AAS describes. However, now that we are finishing AAS2, we tend to use a smaller board with that lesson's tiles on it rather than drag out the big board every day. For AAS1 I'd definitely start with the big board but later on can probably work with smaller or multiple boards.

We are starting next week and will be using the bottom of the refrigerator. (One more reason to be glad we didn't get a stainless steel finish.) We like sitting on the floor around here so that is not a problem. I'm hoping this works because it's all I've got. Maybe after Christmas, there will be room in the budget for a big white board. For now, the budget will be stretching to a new dishwasher. :glare:

Pam

My Staples had their 2x3 magnetic whiteboards on sale this week for only $10. I have been looking at them every week when I would go in for school supply deals but was not about to pay their regular price. I was so excited when I saw the sale sign. I plan to buy AAS in the near future so knew I would be needing the board.

My Staples had their 2x3 magnetic whiteboards on sale this week for only $10. I have been looking at them every week when I would go in for school supply deals but was not about to pay their regular price. I was so excited when I saw the sale sign. I plan to buy AAS in the near future so knew I would be needing the board.

Score! What a great buy!

If you are just starting you can really get away with ONE cookie sheet. We used a cookie sheet for level one. We didn't start using the white board until level two, BUT my daughter really really does like to write on the white board, it makes it SO fun for her, and I love that.

• 2 weeks later...
I hated using the big board. It was too big to put in front of us at a desk and it didn't work well to leave it on the wall and do it standing up. DH attached 2 smaller ones together (it was actually a large one that the frame had come loose on and he cut it down to the size I wanted and put backing on it) that we can fold and put away. I saw magnetic whiteboards at Walmart a couple of weeks ago that you could do the same thing with. They didn't have a frame so they would be easy to attach in the middle. They were $5 ea and were by Board Dudes. They came in different colors and were with the locker supplies. I'll see if I can find a link and post later.

I love this idea! I think I will get two smaller boards and attach them across the back - so much easier for storage. Thank you!

Thanks for the reminder that little hands can mess around with the letters! I am about to buy AAS too and already envisaged having the white board on the wall at DD's height. But... the two year old would probably make the letters go missing in no time. Time to rethink that!

I love this idea! I think I will get two smaller boards and attach them across the back - so much easier for storage. Thank you!

Thanks for the reminder that little hands can mess around with the letters! I am about to buy AAS too and already envisaged having the white board on the wall at DD's height. But... the two year old would probably make the letters go missing in no time. Time to rethink that!

I've also heard of people using 2 smaller boards or nesting trays in order to keep the tiles up from the hands of littles. You can use one board for holding the tiles and one for working on.