Menu

Do you have your kids reread readers?

kristinannie

I have been having my son reread his readers until he is comfortable reading them (usually 2-4 times). I feel like as he becomes more familiar with the story, then it is easier for him to read them. He does really learn the words though (and isn't just memorizing) since he can read those words in other places. I am starting to rethink this approach. Honestly, I have 100 readers (I have MCP Readers A and B). There are a few readers that he really loves and wants to reread, but most he just really complains about rereading. I honestly think that this is why he doesn't want to do reading lessons. I would love to hear your opinions on this! Is it actually helpful to reread them or is it just a waste of time? Thanks!

I don't have my dc re-read beginning readers. Reading is hard work, and the only "reward" my dc receive is reading an interesting story. Re-reading would be all work and no reward. Very painful for everyone.

We use RME for learning to read. Each lesson has a unique little story which seem to be balanced nicely between already learned words and words in progress. Once we are done with RME, we move on to Sonlight readers which progress in difficulty. My dc receive plenty of practice reading repeat words as we go through the readers.

I wouldn't *make* him re-read them, unless he really struggled with a particular one. For the most part, I'd be willing to take his lead. Yes, re-reading can help with fluency. But I don't think it helps enough to make up for boredom and frustration on the student's part, if he really hates doing it. (This assumes he's making progress anyway, which it sounds like he is... If he clearly *needs* to re-read, I would resort to some temporary low-level bribery to help get him through the tedium of re-reading, lol.)

I don't make DD re-read them. She would be bored. She enjoys reading and attempting to understand the story (which is already hard for her since her reading is so choppy right now). So we just move onto another one. Sometimes I do pull certain sight words from the story and put them on flash cards to go over with her for the next several weeks.

No, we have no shortage of books. The girls are free to read and reread whatever they like, and I give DD the Younger a choice each time we pick a new book for daily reading (aloud) practice.

I have been having my son reread his readers until he is comfortable reading them (usually 2-4 times). I feel like as he becomes more familiar with the story, then it is easier for him to read them. He does really learn the words though (and isn't just memorizing) since he can read those words in other places. I am starting to rethink this approach. Honestly, I have 100 readers (I have MCP Readers A and B). There are a few readers that he really loves and wants to reread, but most he just really complains about rereading. I honestly think that this is why he doesn't want to do reading lessons. I would love to hear your opinions on this! Is it actually helpful to reread them or is it just a waste of time? Thanks!

I wouldn't. I would not want to read the same book over and over unless it's really interesting.

No, we have no shortage of books. The girls are free to read and reread whatever they like, and I give DD the Younger a choice each time we pick a new book for daily reading (aloud) practice.

This! I do not 'make' him re-read any of his readers...but he's free to read them whenever he wants to. When he does his read-alouds to me, I always pick about 2-3 new books that he can choose from (either our own books we haven't read yet, or library selections).

He is allowed to read at night in bed and has his readers alongside the wall (raingutter shelves) above his bed for as much free-reading as he wants.

Neither of my dds had much interest in or tolerance for easy readers. They didn't read very many, and wouldn't have reread them willingly. I would occasionally have them reread something by telling them dh would really enjoy hearing a certain book or part of a book. ;) There are a few books (like Abigail Takes the Wheel) that really appealed to youngest dd, and she would reread them happily.

I wouldn't ask a child to reread something if it was killing their motivation.

Rereading seems to help a lot with fluency and confidence. On the first day with a story I might have him point out and practice pronouncing new vocabulary words or words containing the letter blends or diagraphs we're learning before reading the story. During the first reading, I have him reread every two pages so he's not overwhelmed with having to read the whole story twice. Then have him read the whole story once the next day or so. When they were younger, with shorter phonic readers, I drew lines across a blank page at the end of the early readers. He would reread the story aloud to each family member, even younger siblings, then write the member's name on one of the lines until complete. They seemed to really enjoy and take pride in this.

We reread here too. Last year, with Abeka, I noticed that there wasn't reading every single day and I thought there should be. So she would reread. If I thought she had something memorized, it got shelved. Not only is she learning to read words, but when she rereads, we can work on tone of voice and developing a good reading voice.