Menu

so Voddie Baucham says we shouldn't discuss our curriculum choices with others?

I like Voddie Baucham. He is pastor of a Family Integrated Church in Georgia (I believe) and a homeschooler. If you've never read anything by him, I highly recommend The Ever-Loving Truth.

My guess is that he was voicing his opinion based on the amount of comparing that goes on among homeschool families. Our homeschool group pretty much takes that approach. No one much talks about what they use unless directly asked because it just leads to the stupid comparing game.

I don' have a direct source for that, just something I read on a blog somewhere.

Really??? Because I just cannot imagine....

*******should add a huge disclaimer that I am not really a fan of VB or that general movement*******

Why bother bringing this up if you cant' quote him or the blog and you are willing to admit you are not a fan of his? It comes off as trying to start a false rumor to discredit someone just because you want to.

I like Voddie Baucham. He is pastor of a Family Integrated Church in Georgia (I believe) and a homeschooler. If you've never read anything by him, I highly recommend The Ever-Loving Truth.

My guess is that he was voicing his opinion based on the amount of comparing that goes on among homeschool families. Our homeschool group pretty much takes that approach. No one much talks about what they use unless directly asked because it just leads to the stupid comparing game.

He is outside of Houston, TX

Why bother bringing this up if you cant' quote him or the blog and you are willing to admit you are not a fan of his? It comes off as trying to start a false rumor to discredit someone just because you want to.

Agreed. You don't know if he actually said it AND you don't like him - why bother bringing it up at all?

I'm glad you brought it up. I'd never heard of him before. Cool guy.

The link which was embedded up a few posts to a mom blog says this:

I understand his reasoning (we might use a particular curriculum in a different way and for a different purpose and thus receive much different results than if you were to use the same thing), but I also see merit in offering ideas so that others can see what is working and what is not working for you in order to aid in their curriculum decisions.

I'm wondering if this means it (discussing curriculum choices) can be a barrier builder to families if they are just learning the field of choices. It's probably best for each family to consider the needs of each child and home... and go from there rather than be advised of the superiority of one curriculum over another.

That is kinda what I get of it.

It's preventive respect at work.

Edited by one*mom

Perhaps it is, but you haven't even established that it's true.:glare: Are you for real?

She has well over 100 posts, been registered since 2009, has 3 littles with curriculum listed in her signature.

She's as really real as any of the rest of us.

Really.