Menu

If you have a website and bought a domain name on your own

I use Yahoo Small Business - domain names can be purchased and parked, or you can add a variety of service levels as needed (basic, merchant account, etc.) and can change hosting plans online if you need to. One thing I like about Yahoo is that you have a single interface for all domains you own and/or sites you have up and running, so it's one central location for everything.

I get mine through my web host, hosting matters. I now own two, 40L and thephonicspage. I have had them since 1994 and am very happy with them, their uptime ratio is very good and the support is excellent.

I choose them because they were one of the few options that allowed very high bandwidth options, which I thought I might need with all my videos. I have not needed quite as much bandwidth as I thought I would because compression keeps getting better, but I am still glad I choose them.

Web 1&1 has had some issues.

Your only sure choices are Blue Host and Go Daddy as 4kiddies mentioned aboved.

I moved our corporate domains to Go Daddy. Keep in mind these are hosting, but you can get your domain name registered through either host too.

There is a difference between getting a domain name and owning it. Do some research here. :) I would hate for you to want to move your domain at some point and loose the domain name. Check the fine print!

No, No, NO! on 1&1.

I registered a domain name with them at the urging of a friend. Didn't do squat with it after all. Kinda forgot about it. Then all the sudden, I have a COLLECTIONS letter show up. Evidently, I didn't respond to the email reminding me to renew...and my credit card on file had expired. But....I keep email for an insanely long time. I searched. They never sent me an email. They never called. The only snail mail sent was the collections letter.

Everytime I called them I got rude and snarky help. I was trying to pay my bill and couldn't get a straight answer.

Finally, I mailed a money order to them and it was RETURNED to me. No note, no explanation. When I once again fought my way through the rude help, I was informed they don't take checks.

Sheesh. I was trying to pay my bill, for crying out loud. Those folks were never every gonna get a credit card number from me again. We did a AMEX check card in the needed amount and told them to close the account. Technically, the domain name is being held hostage. They told me if ever wanted to move it, I'd have to pay to bring the account up to date.

Did I mention the collections company has the exact same address as 1&1?

Hmmmm....interesting, don't you think? When I did some snooping online, I found a ton of similar complaints. My friend who urged me to use them still has a website with them.

My other domain names are happily registered with GoDaddy...who emails, snail mails, and telephones if there is an issue with your account. Love those folks!

Web 1&1 has had some issues.

Your only sure choices are Blue Host and Go Daddy as 4kiddies mentioned aboved.

I moved our corporate domains to Go Daddy. Keep in mind these are hosting, but you can get your domain name registered through either host too.

There is a difference between getting a domain name and owning it. Do some research here. :) I would hate for you to want to move your domain at some point and loose the domain name. Check the fine print!

Thanks to everyone. I'll avoid 1&1; I was tentative because the recommendation came as a "best bang for your buck" phrase from someone who designs & maintains websites but lets you buy your own domain name in case you want to switch hosts later.

Thanks, Chrissy, for your details. I only want to buy the domain name at the moment as I'm going to teach Musikgarten and plan to start off having them host the website; they have all the graphics, it's fill in the blanks & people who have them seem to like it. Later when I add other things to it (I teach piano lessons, too) I want to be able to move it to a different host (so recommendations such as Bluehost, etc are good). It sounds like I can buy a domain from GoDaddy and have it hosted elsewhere, for eg. I'm keeping all this info for the future, too. so, GoDaddy or Bluehost it is.

Once again, I found my answers from the hive.

Edited by Karin