Menu

Traveling to Uganda

I know there are a lot of world travelers on here. :) Has anyone been to Uganda? I've begun midwifery studies, and I have the chance to go on a clinical skills trip there, but DH and I are thinking about the safety of that particular area of the world. Any insights?

Do your homework and see if it is something you feel safe doing. I grew up in Kenya, right next door, but I have not been to Uganda. I have dear friends who go often and just adopted a child from there as well. They feel very comfortable going.

Dawn

No, no first hand experience. I know of several people from Africa (different parts) that have moved here. We know them from our local grocery store to Bible Study to church.

Ironically, my dd's best friend and her single Mom who is an attorney and professor at the local law school just left 2 hours ago to live in Ghana. Originally the Mom is from TX. She lived in IL where my dd's friend was born and they moved to Tanzania for several years. Things got politically rough over there so they moved here 3 years ago.

They are returning this time to Ghana for 1 year and will return next summer.

Just know that many countries make up Africa. Each one is unique. Some are closed with a communist influence, others highly populated with muslims and still others that are more open and populated with a majority of Christians as is the case with Ghana.....80 % Christians and 20 % Muslims, I believe.

Many of the countries, like Ghana, are considered third world. There may be a modern city or two, but other than those cities living conditions will be far from what we know and appreciate here in the US. *Living conditions such as: water to bathe in and drink, bathroom facilities, lack of air conditioning, mosquitos and so on.

Still that should not deter you if those things don't bother you and/or you do your research in advance to target an area to do your study....if you have that option. If not, and it's a chosen location already, learn all the facts from various sources to help you make a logical and safe decision.

HTH!

It looks like we'd be going to Mbarara, which is relatively close to Rwanda. Uganda is pretty small, from the looks of it on the map (compared to the surrounding countries), and it's surrounded by countries that have been in serious conflict for a long time.

Apparently, the LRA is or has been active there, as well, and other militant groups. Not people I'd care to run into.

On the other hand, it's an incredible opportunity, and on that the communities there REALLY need. If the actual risk is small, I'd definitely consider going.

Thank you for your insights. :)

I can not stress enough then, learning from your most recent reply, that you ASK many people.....get "direct" opinions. Do you know anyone that has lived there until recently? Your passion to go is wonderful, but just do your research up front.

How long would you be there? You would need your passports and possible visa. Also, you need several immunizations.

I'd be there two weeks, and I would have to get my passport, I know. That shouldn't be a problem, though I might have to pay to get it expedited. Vaccines I would need as well, but I don't anticipate that being a problem, either. I went on the state.gov site (thanks Dawn!) and a couple of others. It looks like the LRA has been pretty much kicked out, which makes me feel MUCH better.

I don't know anyone who has lived there or been there recently, but I'm trying to get in contact with missionaries and see if they can point me in the right direction to get some first hand knowledge. And thanks for that site, Terri! I'll definitely be looking at them, too, maybe they can help give me some info. :)

I have three friends in Uganda right now. One couple is finishing up an adoption and another is working with an orphanage for the next month. Another friend was there all last year working at a school and is staying with me tonight. :) If you would like to talk with her, PM me and I'll get you connected.

I went to Uganda 3 years ago and could not wait to go back (I did teacher training workshops).

This time I took my husband, oldest daughter (20yrs) and youngest daughter (9yrs). We spent part of our time in Kenya (Nairobi and safari) and a week in Mbale, Uganda working at a children's home/school.

You will need Yellow Fever and Typhoid vacs as well as a Malaria pill (I chose Doxy. as Malarone made me ill on the first trip). Meningitis booster is recommended too.

Uganda is a beautiful country-- temps in the 80s-- anything that grows in Hawaii grows there! The beauty is contrasted by extreme poverty. War and HIV have really devastated these strong people.

In rural Uganda most families live in round mud huts with grass roofs. Most do not have doors. A metal roof and a 'rectangular' hut is a sign of wealth.

What touched me the most was that children dressed in rags would run to the roadside as we passed by yelling 'Mzungu' and they were not begging-- they were waving and just wanted a wave or a smile in return.

My experiences have been priceless.

Dear future midwife!

I commend you for wanting to learn and be of service in Africa. Also, I have to recommend that you be very very careful about the organization that you will be working with abroad. I also, years ago, when I was in midwifery school, went to another country for an "apprenticeship" there, and I was completely deceived by the (american) midwife in charge of the program! There was no program, and I understood from the first day that she was not knowledgeable, and I also found out from the national staff that she was only able to be at the site at all because she had paid a bribe to the head of the hospital, and the local staff did not like her or want her, and they had no idea that she was accepting large sums of money from American midwifery students to "teach" them. The other American student midwives could not speak the local language. Of course, after I told her I did not want to be involved with her program, she refused to refund my money, even though we had a contract... long story short she stole my passport and would not return it until I promised I would not try to get a refund... the US Embassy could do nothing for me... the local police got my passport back, and her husband was arrested for some other small-time mafia stuff, but of course I was out the money I had paid. :( I wish I had paid attention to some warning signs before I left home-- vagueness, and less-than-stellar recommendations from other participants.

This was in another country, not in Uganda, and I have little information about Uganda... you just remind me of myself years ago, and I wish I could spare you what I went through! I hope that the organization you work with will be honest and that you will learn a lot-- it could be invaluable. Just be careful, OK?

I lived in Uganda almost 10 years ago now. I still miss it and would go back in a heart beat.

I have been to Mbarara or at least through there. Uganda is a beautiful country. Very green and lush compared to other areas.

We were in Kampala working on a Children't center for the orphans. It is outside the city.

I do think things are fairly safe there.

Here is a link to the newspapers

http://www.monitor.co.ug/

http://www.newvision.co.ug/

I chatted yesterday to a homeschooler who had been to Uganda - I believe on some sort of short term mission visit. She said that of the African countries she had been to (I remember Mozambique and Kenya being mentioned) she felt the safest in Uganda. People were friendly. She felt less likely to be "ripped off" (bribes expected etc) in Uganda than elsewhere. Her feeling was that this was partly because of a resurgence in Christianity post the repressions experienced under Idi Amin.

While we were discussing the cost of volunteer trips she mentioned the expectation in Africa that the visitor will be paying - e.g. if you go out to dinner, or hire a car with locals, you will be expected to pay. (She compared this to China, where the situation is reversed). This came up incidently, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.