Menu

Would You Buy Readers for a 4yo?

My son has been reading for over two years and reads fluently with occasional mispronunciations. Right now, he just reads the regular children's books that we have. Should I buy readers?

He tested for Sonlight grade 4 readers, but when I showed him a sample page, he said that there were too many words on the page. Then I showed him a grade 3 sample page, and he said that that was just right.

Is it worth getting readers for a four year old, or is it likely to annoy him when he's asked to read them? I don't want to hold him back, but I don't want to find myself shoving him along either.

[Edited because I got the levels wrong by assuming from the names of the sample image files. Now corrected.]

Edited by Parker Martin

Do you have a library near by? At that age, I'd just go to the library on a weekly basis.

If no library access, SL readers wouldn't be a bad choice. Their readers at that stage are real books, not "readers", so they should be fine. They tend to be interesting stories and such.

If we use the Sonlight grade 3 readers (note my edit above), will that throw everything off when we do future cores?

IMO, no standard boxed curricula is going to work exactly as written for accelerated kids. You will have to do a lot of tweaking anyway. When you get to the proper core for the readers, he will be WAY past them. So it's not that using the readers will mess up a core, but a core may need to be messed up to fit your child. :D

If you're talking Sonlight, look at using the Read-alouds as readers. The Read-alouds often are a better level for an advanced child, without getting too emotionally intense. Also, look at the "advanced" readers for a given core-they're usually for students a year or two ahead of the official age (like for 5th graders in core 3), and therefore are a better fit for an accelerated child. Be aware, though, that content can be an issue. Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry (Core 4) is a great book-but my 6 yr old is NOT ready for it yet!

Yes, my children loved the older readers and they didn't corrupt them one bit ;) Pre60s are best. You can skim the really old ones online

http://freehomeschoolinglibrar.blogspot.com/search/label/Children%27s%20Graded%20Readers%28%20Google%29%20Quick%20List

The old Uncle Arthur bedtime story books are fun for the kids to have on hand too. They are Christian based.

My son is about the same age, and reads at that level. We are just buying classics and children's novels instead of readers. James & the Giant peach, Ribsy, Mr Popper's penguins, Charlotte's Web, etc.

I have this book, it's good, but I find I still need to skip ahead a few grades.

http://www.amazon.com/Some-Best-Friends-Are-Books/dp/0910707960/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312060220&sr=8-1

I've always found the Sonlight lists to be helpful. Perhaps you could use the lists to find books that he would find interesting?

Another place to find materials friendly to young eyes but that have a higher reading level is the picture book section of the library. These books are written for adults to read to young children (so the reading level is usually between grades 4-6) and they have large print and lots of white space on the page as well as wonderful pictures and story lines that appeal to the younger crowd.

For a four year old I would suggest making successively more advanced homemade books every few days. I'd also gauge and track his Guided Reading level. This will help you go to the library and check out the best books for his exact reading level. I have detailed information on how to do all of this on my blog, if you click on the "Where to Start Page".

I vote good quality picture books. They are written for an adult to read to a child so the level of reading is quite high, yet because the book has tons of pictures and fewer words on a page it's not intimidating for a young child. Good quality picture books are an excellent method of improving a young child's reading while keeping it fun. I learned this the hard way. :glare:

Authors/series I recommend you look for at the library:

Billy and Blaze series

d'Aulaires

Tommie dePaola

Madeline series

Babar books

Corduroy (the book)

There are many books at this level. Have fun! :D

Another thought-if you can get school reading texts used or free, some of them are quite good. My DD's former school sent us home with the older edition of the Scott-Foresman ones they used, and for the most part, the K-3 (and even some of the 4th grade) are just picture books, bound together. Starting towards the end of 3rd, and in the 4th-6th, you get a lot of chapters of longer books, like Ramona the Brave or A Cricket in Times Square, or On the Banks of Plum Creek.

I credit these in free reading with helping my DD make the jump from picture books to novels, because while she could easily read at that level, she was often frustrated by the number of words on the page. These brightly colored, large page, larger print school-type readers let her get a taste of the story, and then we'd end up at the public library checking out stacks of Beverly Cleary or every book about Chester the Cricket or Tucker the Mouse there was.

I've since picked up a few more, in a similar grade range, used. Usually they're not more than a quarter at thrift stores, and DD really enjoys reading these on her own (and using them to "Play School" with). If you can get the ones K-12 uses, they're heavy on folk tales and mythology, and have been good independent reading.

I still love the Sonlight lists for actual, real books that coordinate with history, though.

If you are planning to use Sonlight for later cores, and purchase whole cores, I would not purchase Readers 3 yet. Below is the highest level of readers so that you don't use Readers 3 before Core D, as they tie into history. My son ( 5 ) now is reading more of the Newbery, and other readers that aren't included in Sonlight. Since he is quickly running through the highest level he can use with Core B.

I have never had an issue with maturity and higher Sonlight books, in my little ones.

Core P 3/4 ~Grade K readers

Core P 4/5~ Grade 1 Readers

Core A~ Grade 2 readers

Core B ~Grade 3 readers

Core C ~Grade 4-5 readers

Core D~ Readers 3 ( & up, Readers tie into the history and are important to the core )

Edited by StartingOver

Another thought-if you can get school reading texts used or free, some of them are quite good. My DD's former school sent us home with the older edition of the Scott-Foresman ones they used, and for the most part, the K-3 (and even some of the 4th grade) are just picture books, bound together.

Oh yeah, DS's school used Scott-Foresman readers in 1st grade, and they were excellent. All the parents commented how much better they were than the Open Court readers that were also used.

Oh yeah, DS's school used Scott-Foresman readers in 1st grade, and they were excellent. All the parents commented how much better they were than the Open Court readers that were also used.

I had to teach with Open Court for two years. It was better than nothing, but that says a lot, doesn't it?

I use the library for dd. She reads lots of non-fiction books about whatever topic is currently interesting her, fiction books that would normally be read-alouds, and has a few magazine subscriptions.

At 4.5-5 yo she read picture books. She could have easily read the words of chapter books and loved to listen to me read them, but that many words with not enough white space on a page was too overwhelming for her.

At 4.5-5 yo she read picture books. She could have easily read the words of chapter books and loved to listen to me read them, but that many words with not enough white space on a page was too overwhelming for her.

This is exactly what we have going on now.

I didn't know whether or not there was some special benefit to official readers.