Menu

Top 5 Places to See When Visiting VA/MD?

We will be visiting my dad in PA in early September then head down to visit friends in Fredericksburg the following week. We will most likely be stopping in Gettysburg for the drive tour. What other places should we not miss while in that area? We did want to spend at least one day in D.C. and considered the Holocaust Memorial. Would this be too intense for a 13 and 15 yo? We have about three full days (not counting our Gettysburg visit).

We are super excited!

I LOVED Monicello when we went to VA.

The Holocaust Museum in D.C. was really good, but I don't know if that is what I would want to see if I just had one day there. It is VERY intense so if either of your dc are super sensitive, it might be too much. I think it is definitely a museum (or a similar Holocaust museum) that everyone should try to visit at least once in their life.

The Spy Museum is really fantastic though it has high-ish ticket prices (I think $20 or so per ticket) and it is not on the mall. The Newseum is also very interesting. I would most definitely stop in at the National Archives, the Air and Space museum, the Natural History Museum and the American History Museum. There is so much to see, it is hard to recommend only one day in D.C. If you are only doing one day, stick to the museums around the mall - they are all free and all within easy walking distance of each other. Arlington Cemetery is also a MUST.

There is a great aquarium in the Inner Harbor area of Baltimore, though it is also pricey. Monticello is nice but it is pretty far out of your way if your ultimate destination is Fredericksburg (its in Charlottesville about 2 hours away). Colonial Williamsburg is amazing, but that is also really hard to do in one day.

Honestly, I would pick D.C. or Williamsburg and spend more time at that one place so you can actually see and enjoy without feeling like you are running place to place.

Have a fun trip!

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

What is in Baltimore's Inner Harbor?(besides the aquarium)

Heather, my choice is "historical". Not sure my kids would vote that way. I figure amusement parks, etc. abound everywhere in the USA but battlefields, etc are unique to the area. Of course, if it's a "unique fun" I'd love to hear about it!

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

What is in Baltimore's Inner Harbor?(besides the aquarium)

Heather, my choice is "historical". Not sure my kids would vote that way. I figure amusement parks, etc. abound everywhere in the USA but battlefields, etc are unique to the area. Of course, if it's a "unique fun" I'd love to hear about it!

In addition to the Aquarium, there is a science museum with an IMAX theater, and the USS Constellation. http://www.historicships.org/constellation.html Federal Hill overlooks the Harbor, and Fort McHenry is just a few miles away. You can walk a couple blocks east on Pratt St into Little Italy for some of the best Italian food you will find anywhere. The Walters Art Museum is about 7 blocks north on Charles Street and it's free. A short walk south of the Walters is the Enoch Pratt Free Library.

Edited by LizzyBee

I think the Holocaust Museum is fine for that age (or even younger) if you've done some prep work. But agreed that if I was in DC for a single day (and, um, didn't already live there) then it would not be tops on my list unless perhaps it had just been an area of intense study or I had some personal connection.

Depending on your tastes, I would go for the quick tour of 2-4 museums and do the basic monuments walk. Maybe stroll by the White House. And then collapse. One day in DC is not very long.

I live in VA, and so I am blessed by visiting things more frequently

In DC, the Air and Space Museum and Natural History museums are the most frequented.

Mount Vernon and National Zoo are cool.

Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown are all two hours from Fredericksburg. Just remember that right now it is very hot out, and wandering Colonial Williamsburg outside in 98 degree weather (plus humidity) may not be too fun!

There is also a lot in Richmond, especially for Civil War buffs. Let me know if you want more Richmond info.

We will be visiting my dad in PA in early September then head down to visit friends in Fredericksburg the following week. We will most likely be stopping in Gettysburg for the drive tour. What other places should we not miss while in that area? We did want to spend at least one day in D.C. and considered the Holocaust Memorial. Would this be too intense for a 13 and 15 yo? We have about three full days (not counting our Gettysburg visit).

We are super excited!

I'd do a whole day in Baltimore. Go to the Science Center FIRST. If your kids can spend less than a day there, then hit the aquarium. Don't eat at either one. Food is nasty and overpriced and you can just walk down the harbor to the food-court-thingy-place.

I'd set aside a whole day for mount Vernon.

In D.C. I'd pick the zoo, air and space, or natural history museum. (This will make up for the gazillion dollars you spent in Baltimore) You might be able to get through two in one day. The Holocaust museum will suck the sparkle out of your day. Seriously . . . everyone recommends going there alone when you have a day to yourself.

I live in VA, and so I am blessed by visiting things more frequently

In DC, the Air and Space Museum and Natural History museums are the most frequented.

Mount Vernon and National Zoo are cool.

Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown are all two hours from Fredericksburg. Just remember that right now it is very hot out, and wandering Colonial Williamsburg outside in 98 degree weather (plus humidity) may not be too fun!

There is also a lot in Richmond, especially for Civil War buffs. Let me know if you want more Richmond info.

Yes, I'd love to know what to highlight in Richmond. We will be studying the Civil War.

For Richmond, I'd recommend the American Civil War Center at Tredegar Iron Works. Very informative about the war, history, battles, etc. Goes year by year through the war and it's aftermath.

Museum of the Confederacy is also a great museum. When I last went, I was surprised by the balance and scholarship in the exhibits.

Other area museums include Valentine History, Poe Museum, Virginia Holocaust Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, VA Science Museum. St Johns Church is cool, too, as the location of Patrick Henry's "give me liberty or give me death" speech.

Have a great trip!