Menu

Anyone here do Felting?

I have some yarn...wool, some of it soy/wool blend. I want to try some felting...how the blazes do I go about it.

What I would like to do is make some pot holders and felt them, or make a changing pad that can be rolled up and tied with a ribbon (felted also). Are those even possible? I was also thinking about a cute little pencil pouch or a felted crochet needle hook holder. I'm just afraid of making things too small to begin with and then ending up with a mishapen item and not knowing what to do with it, lol.

Anyone have and tips or insights to share?

Oh and what does one do with mercerized cotton? I have quite a few skiens of it and was thinking little soft baby washcloths, can it be used for that?

We've done some felting--it's so much fun! Three books to recommend:

Magic Wool

Felt Wee Folk

Warm Fuzzies

We've made a felted tea set, felted food, and used the wool roving to make wee folk hair. My best tip is to be very careful, and make sure you have a good mat to work on. Don't waste your money on plastic forms, all they were good for was breaking our needles.

We've done a little. So far as I know, you simply start pricking the roving with a felting needle. You need a base to work on. You just move and shape as you prick. The barb on the end of the needle starts to make the barbs in the wool stick together. The more you prick, the more tight it will get. After you've created your base, you can add colors to make pictures, patterns, etc. on your work.

It's not really that labor intensive, if that helps ease hubby's mind. Not hard to learn at all, doesn't take up much space, and you can put it down/pick it up with hardly any effort.

LOL..he's heard it all I can assure you ;). He doesn't hardly blink anymore though. Just shakes his head...

I have knitted potholders from 100% wool yarn and felted them. They turned out great! I got the pattern from the knitpicks website a few years ago, and I just looked at their site but couldn't find the pattern. :(

So I did a little googling.

If you want to crochet a potholder, these are cute:

Lion Brand felted potholder patterns

And here is one to knit:

Felted Hot Pad

I really like this one and I think I will have to make one:

Spotholder Potholders

Now I have a good excuse to go yarn shopping today! :D

With this last pattern, if you don't have bulky wool yarn, you can knit with two strands of worsted weight yarn held together. I have done this and it turned out the same as using one strand of bulky yarn.

I knit and crochet dishcloths, but have never used mercerized cotton. I vote: try making a washcloth with it and see what you think!

I've done wet felting like these soaps and some felt beads, needle felting to create little pumpkins and acorns (scroll down to the bottom), and felting of knitted items like this bag and pot handle cover. For me, the easiest is felting knitted objects. If you're doing wet or needle felting, roving is used. For yarn people usually crochet or knit something up, then wash it with hot water. Oh, and some yarns felt better than others, just FYI. You could always make a swatch first to see how it's going to felt up. Good luck!

I've mixed wool and wool-soy blends into the same project and the wool-soy felts more densely. I got more vertical shrinking from the wool-soy. A simple way to start is to use a needle/hook a couple sizes larger than recommended for the yarn. Work up a swatch--big, around 8" x 8". Keep track of the measurements before and after felting so you can see how much the piece will shrink.

Second the recommendation to join Ravelry. Tons of free patterns. But beware! It will suck you in. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!!

I've done wet felting like these soaps and some felt beads, needle felting to create little pumpkins and acorns (scroll down to the bottom), and felting of knitted items like this bag and pot handle cover. For me, the easiest is felting knitted objects. If you're doing wet or needle felting, roving is used. For yarn people usually crochet or knit something up, then wash it with hot water. Oh, and some yarns felt better than others, just FYI. You could always make a swatch first to see how it's going to felt up. Good luck!

Very cute stuff! I love those little acorns.

I forgot, I also made this felted fall bag:

maplebag002.jpg