Menu

sonlight users

welovetoread

We just open it up. My kids are not the poster kids for SL. They're curious enough to at least look at the books in the box/boxes, but they just don't get excited about school books. They take a cursory glance through everything and then walk away.

Then I get to enjoy going through all the books, making sure they're all there. I put the stickers on all the books, set up my IG, etc. It's really my box day.

We have only had a fairly large box day a couple of years...we get our stuff from various places as well, trying to save money. I normally get all the stuff together through the year and lay it out on the table to get ready to put it on the shelves. Then we all sit and oooh and aaaah over the books before I shelve them. They enjoy it. They like when the Rainbow Resource box comes in because they know that it normally holds the most stuff including the art supplies. I also find fun hands on stuff there to add to the school year and they love seeing what I get.

Happy Box Day!

yes, they like to look through the books but honestly, they love the paper. The long strings of brown paper. And they lay them flat in a line to see who picked the longest line of paper. And then they tear the perforated sheets so we can use them for art all year long. It's the paper for my kids :lol::001_huh:

We buy our SL stuff used - but the day we put stuff on the shelves for the next school year is much anticipated. (Mom keeps things stashed away until then. Otherwise my voracious readers would devour the books as I buy them)... enjoy SL, its really great.

This is our first year with SL as well' date=' we didn't have box day though.. I bits and pieced it together by buying used and only spent about $150!! I can live without box day for that price!

There are some videos on sonlight about boxday and how they suggest going through it all and how to put your binder together. I know I'm not a ton of help, but maybe I'm a pinch of help..lol[/quote']

$150? Wow. I've always wanted to try Sonlight, but it's so expensive. For $150, though, I would try it. Was it hard to do?

LOL, about the video... I'm going to have to look for it. I love box days.

I open the box right away. My son will take a glance and grab a book or two, usually a science book, but that's it. He's not overly excited. I take out the invoice and grab a highlighter. I go through each box and mark off the books on the invoice. After I have checked to make sure the order is correct, I put the books back in the box until I have time to put them on the shelves. Have fun! I really like Sonlight!

I probably spent less than $100 for all of our Core 3+4 books. I have an awesome used book store that gives you a certain amount of credit when you turn in a book. I've found everything except the books by Sonlight.

It took me a few days of looking' date=' between here, homeschoolclassifieds, the sonlight board (which you can get for 30 days free, but they are closing their sale board), and then picking up the last few odds and ends on amazon.. I bought used from sellers that offered free super saver shipping.

I just kept a checklist and when I found something I marked it off. I had looked to see when the last IG update was and that was the year I would go back to.. I actually wanted (and found) an 09 IG for Core A because I wanted to use The Real Mother Goose (a book we already had!) instead of the Arnold Lobel book.

We started this week and so far we are loving it. We did dump The Boxcar Children book because my kids didn't care for it and replaced it with a Magic Tree House book, but that is the beauty, it can be what I want it to be and I don't have to feel guilty because I didn't spend a fortune to buy it.[/quote']

It took me a few days of looking' date=' between here, homeschoolclassifieds, the sonlight board (which you can get for 30 days free, but they are closing their sale board), and then picking up the last few odds and ends on amazon.. I bought used from sellers that offered free super saver shipping.

I just kept a checklist and when I found something I marked it off. I had looked to see when the last IG update was and that was the year I would go back to.. I actually wanted (and found) an 09 IG for Core A because I wanted to use The Real Mother Goose (a book we already had!) instead of the Arnold Lobel book.

We started this week and so far we are loving it. We did dump The Boxcar Children book because my kids didn't care for it and replaced it with a Magic Tree House book, but that is the beauty, it can be what I want it to be and I don't have to feel guilty because I didn't spend a fortune to buy it.[/quote']

That is awesome... good for you! :hurray: What is a day in Sonlight like? How do you manage to read all of the books?