Menu

Hershey Park likes/dislikes?

• 7 months later...

It's been well over a decade since I've gone, but I went every year growing up. Love it! My family always stayed in the cabins at Hershey Highmeadow Campground. (They've been updated since my time.)

There is a shuttle that goes from the campground to the park, which made it nice for going back for lunch and a dip in the pool before another round at the park.

No suggestions for hotels, just wanted to add that we, too, love Hershey Park! A lot of amusement parks just have little kiddie rides and then rollercoasters, but HP has rides that are "in between"... perfect for my dc that were too big for kiddie rides but not big fans of rollercoasters.

Thank you, everyone (yes, even you, SPECIAL DARK ;) )! I'm super grateful for the recommendation of the Holiday Inn Express. Dh and I stayed at one in Mystic, CT and it was such a fabulous experience -- my new fave hotel chain!

Question for those who've gone to Hershey Park: did you buy your tix through AAA (auto club)? Did you go for 2 days straight? What do you recommend we do first: the park or factory tour?

TIA!

Chocolate World might be best saved for when you need some slow down/ get out of the heat time. There is also plenty of chocolate to buy in Chocolate World! So plan to go back to your hotel after buying your stash.

Edited by Doodle

Thank you, everyone (yes, even you, SPECIAL DARK ;) )! I'm super grateful for the recommendation of the Holiday Inn Express. Dh and I stayed at one in Mystic, CT and it was such a fabulous experience -- my new fave hotel chain!

Question for those who've gone to Hershey Park: did you buy your tix through AAA (auto club)? Did you go for 2 days straight? What do you recommend we do first: the park or factory tour?

TIA!

We agree about Holiday Inn Express-- DH stays in them often for bonspiels (curling tournaments.)

I think we usually do buy our tickets through AAA. If you're going during a time when the water park is open, I'd say definitely stay two days. You'll probably want a full day at the water park; it's not huge but it's a lot of fun. I'd say do the factory tour (not a huge, long tour-- basically like a Disney ride that ends in a gigantic gift shop) and then proceed to the water park on the first day and do the park itself on the second day, depending on the weather forecast.

Now I'm off to look at the calendar to see when we can sneak in a trip for ourselves-- we ADORE Hershey Park!

astrid

When are you coming to Hershey? If you're coming in March or April, PM me, and maybe we can work something out with my timeshare there, I have points expiring. If you go in May, it's homeschool month and they are offering cheaper tickets, goodle it and you'll find it. We live 10 minutes away, let me know if you need anything else.

Definitely do the park preview. It gives you a few hours to get acquainted with the park and find your way around. You can buy tickets at a local Giant grocery store-I think they're around $8 cheaper, depending on the time of year that you go. If you don't mind driving a little, there are cheaper hotels that are only 10-15 minutes away, and are easy drives. There are only 2 tram stops in the parking lots, so even if there's nobody parked in that area of the lot drive a little and park right next to a tram. The tram lets you off right at Chocolate World, so it's easy to hit up on the way out. (leave yourself time to enjoy everything there, though.) I'm drawing a blank on hotel names right now but we'll be in Hershey this weekend and I can look around, if you'd like to pm me next week I can let you know of some. There is an air-conditioned restaurant right next to the Great Bear roller coaster, with bathrooms nearby, that is never full and a nice break from the heat, even if you just get something to drink. We usually devote a day just to the water park. You could do the water park and the zoo in a day, if you wanted, and then rides the next day. If you go in May, there are huge homeschool discounts!

I like that the tamer rides are next to the bigger ones. One parent can take the brave kid on a roller coaster, while another parent hits 2-3 gentler rides all in the same area of the park. The family can stay close without anyone being banished to a separate little-kid park.

It's a day-trip for us, so we've never stayed over. What I DO love is they let you purchase group tickets at a reduced rate and you can use those tickets any time you want without going as a group. This way a day pass is about $30 instead of $55ish.

When are you coming to Hershey? If you're coming in March or April, PM me, and maybe we can work something out with my timeshare there, I have points expiring. If you go in May, it's homeschool month and they are offering cheaper tickets, goodle it and you'll find it. We live 10 minutes away, let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks again, all, for the insider tips! We are planning to go mid-June. :D

Oh my goodness! Where are you hiding?? Mom, Doodle and I had a fabulous brunch today at the Hershey Pantry.

Well, I'm glad we're talking food (one of my fave subjects) -- wanted to know what you all recommend for lunch and dinner meals? We have breakfast covered (we'll be staying at the Residence Inn Marriott), but now I'm wondering what to feed my ever-hungry folks the rest of the day.

Do you know if Hershey Park allows you to bring in food? When we went to Disney we brought frozen water bottles and frozen sandwiches (no coolers allowed) and they were okay with this.

Thank you again for sharing your insider tips with me! :D

Check out the general info page on the park's web page. No food or beverages are allowed inside. There are picnic locations available outside.
:thumbup1: :blush5: Should have done that first, but glad you mentioned it. I saw under their "vegetarian and healthier fare" the "Spring Creek Smokehouse" offers Pulled Portobello Sandwiches (whoa! that sounds so good). :drool:

On Lewis Rd in Harrisburg? I am curious why you chose this hotel.
:) In trying to book other area hotels, I kept running into the "exceeds maximum occupancy" error message (we are a family of five). I figured that at the Residence Inn our family size wouldn't be a problem and thankfully it wasn't.

Stormrunner = Best. Rollercoaster. EVER. :D

http://www.hersheypark.com/rides/detail.php?id=83

(You can watch it on Youtube too but it just REALLY doesn't do justice to how fast it actually feels when you're on it)!

My oldest son was "stoked" about this coaster when I read your recommendation of it to him -- thanks! :D