Menu

Classical Conversations Situation

I have a question. Last year I was an art teacher for CC. It is NOT part of the CC program, just an add on so that parents with older kids in the afternoon block had somewhere for their younger kids to go. There was also a gym time. Both myself and the gym teacher did not have our own children participate in CC.

I was offered the position as art teacher again this year a couple of months ago which I was glad about because it pays for all of my homeschooling expenses for the year.

I am currently having trouble in my marriage. I was last year as well, but it wasn't known then. Now some people know.

I tried contacting the director 3x over the last several weeks to get the start date to put on my calendar. She didn't respond. Then all of a sudden, her husband calls mine and invites him over. They ask him all kinds of questions about things "they have heard". He tells them everything (from his point of view btw). GREAT! I'M Thrilled.

Anyhow, He asks about the art class I am supposed to teach. She starts saying all kinds of new information I never heard before. Then she emails me the other day. Here is what she said...

"We need to talk. I have called you twice and desperately want to talk with you. I would never make anything up to avoid having a teacher. It has always been the rule that all jobs on campus are offered to families that are participating in the program first. If nobody wants the job then we can go outside of the campus to hire someone. I know that last year we had to wait before I could officially hire you. We do have a mom that wants to teach the Art. She and her husband are a struggling pastoral family. She also desires to have her children in C.C. which she cannot afford. In order for her to participate it would cost $2,000.00. By teaching the Art class she will be able to pay the entire amount. I called my boss to confirm that I have the facts right and she said that I was absolutely right. This is not easy for me and do not want it to affect our friendship but I do have a boss to answer to."

Um OK. So this sounds like garbage to me. I really think this is more about my personal life. Those of you who know, I would love some thoughts.

I would run fast, be ticked, and it would affect the friendship. Sorry this happened to you; it's not fair, and it's for sure not what Peacemakers recommends, which supposedly they follow. Sorry :(

BTW, a Director is an "independent contractor" and shouldn't have to give reasons for why they let you have the job. Now, in practice, perhaps they should offer it first to the campus. BUT, I wonder how she would have felt if you had backed out, a month before.

I would respond with your facts that you have called and have had no answer. Can you contact her boss? Personally I don't know if keeping the job would make the year more stressful or not. But I would make it known that this situation is not being properly handled.

Gosh Michelle, I'm sorry. About the whole thing. Nothing about this sounds as though it's being handled properly at all. I guess I agree that it seems fitting to have "jobs" on campus filled by participants in the program. BUT, she gave you no reason to expect that this year you wouldn't have the job. She should have made it clear that each year they would reevaluate and nothing is guaranteed for subsequent years.

The really weird part is having your husband over. I can no more imagine that than if you had said she had 3 heads or something. I can't think of one solid reason they would have done that. Your being offered the position has zero to do with any of that and I really really don't get discussing it with your husband behind your back.

I am involved in CC and love it. I would run far away from that campus and that "friendship" if I were you!

:grouphug:

Unfortunately, I believe you are 100% right in it being about your personal life. Hiring a current parent when there is a returning teacher is just odd, on so many levels. Especially since her dh talked to your dh. Personally, I'd move on, knowing she is NOT a friend. Friends do not behave in this way.

Unfortunately, I believe you are 100% right in it being about your personal life. Hiring a current parent when there is a returning teacher is just odd, on so many levels. Especially since her dh talked to your dh. Personally, I'd move on, knowing she is NOT a friend. Friends do not behave in this way.

I don't want to sound uncaring because personal stuff is mixed in with business so it's hard to draw the lines. CC is a profit driven company. They need students to pay the tutors so the tutors can pay for enrollment for their children. The situation is probably personal but only in that her children aren't enrolled rather than her marriage difficulties. If she had children enrolled I bet the position would still be hers.

I don't think it was handled properly though. But she may not have considered that the OP would relate this to her marriage difficulties.

I don't want to sound uncaring because personal stuff is mixed in with business so it's hard to draw the lines. CC is a profit driven company. They need students to pay the tutors so the tutors can pay for enrollment for their children. The situation is probably personal but only in that her children aren't enrolled rather than her marriage difficulties. If she had children enrolled I bet the position would still be hers.

I don't think it was handled properly though. But she may not have considered that the OP would relate this to her marriage difficulties.

I might believe that if the director had returned phone calls AND the director's husband had NOT invited the op's dh over for a chat about what was going on in their life. Imo, emailing her to tell her the job is no longer hers is so not the way one runs a business, it's the way one avoids talking to someone when they are awkward about their actions.

You don't offer someone a job and then recind two months later unless you have a VERY good reason. The director should have explained that the job offer was conditional. She's avoided the OP's messages, so she obviously knows she screwed up, and I hope she's as embarrassed and ashamed as she should be.

Michelle, hugs to you! Sounds like this is the last thing you need in your life.

I might believe that if the director had returned phone calls AND the director's husband had NOT invited the op's dh over for a chat about what was going on in their life. Imo, emailing her to tell her the job is no longer hers is so not the way one runs a business, it's the way one avoids talking to someone when they are awkward about their actions.

Well, I said that I didn't agree with how it was handled. I don't know anything about this particular director to know for certain that she doesn't have judgemental intentions. The OP has the best judgement on that one but she asked for answers from someone who knows. I know a little bit about CC and how it operates which would lead me to believe that enrollment is a factor in this picture.

You don't offer someone a job and then recind two months later unless you have a VERY good reason. The director should have explained that the job offer was conditional. She's avoided the OP's messages, so she obviously knows she screwed up, and I hope she's as embarrassed and ashamed as she should be.

Michelle, hugs to you! Sounds like this is the last thing you need in your life.

Thanks so much to you and everyone else. I didn't think I was crazy. Her actions have pointed to it being all about my personal life and not really about CC rules and regs at all. She never told me my job could be taken away at any moment.

Last year, about 6 weeks in she told me I owed her over $100 because the facility they meet in raised her prices and she didn't want to pass it on to the parents since they already pay so much. I was flabbergasted. How could she hire me, have me collect all my fees for art, set up a budget for art supplies and teach for 6 weeks and then tell me I owed her money.

Unfortunately I have a weird history with this lady. I had to distance myself from her a few years ago because of a completely other issue involving her telling me all these terrible things people may or may not have been saying about me. I was feeling so terrible all the time I had to cut ties.

I feel bad for the previous director that I also know. I am sure she was treated poorly.

• 1 month later...

Last year, about 6 weeks in she told me I owed her over $100 because the facility they meet in raised her prices and she didn't want to pass it on to the parents since they already pay so much. I was flabbergasted. How could she hire me, have me collect all my fees for art, set up a budget for art supplies and teach for 6 weeks and then tell me I owed her money.

That part convinces me that this director is not someone you want to work for, or be friends with. The parents are receiving the service so if the costs are raised, they SHOULD be passed on to the parents and not the instructor.

The nerve she had to tell you that you OWED her!

Run from this and be glad your kids weren't in the CC program- it would be more difficult to sever the ties if your kids' education and friendships were intertwined.