Menu

Fruit Smoothie Recipes?

We really use almost any fruit we happen to have on hand. We also buy big bags of mixed frozen fruit to add to smoothies. Juice, milk and yogurt are good additions. Bananas sweeten smoothies. Often we'll throw in some carrots too. Our most recent smoothie find is coconut milk. We buy the cans that you'd find in Asian food sections in grocery stores. You don't need much -- maybe 1/4 cup or so to a blender -- and it adds a great coconut flavor!

We never use ice. Yogurt, frozen fruit (we freeze fresh when it's cheap, buy frozen when it's out of season), a touch of milk/juice to make it thin enough to go through the straw.

This makes for a creamy smoothie- which is what my family likes. Favorites are strawberry/banana/pineapple, peach/strawberry, and blueberry/strawberry. Yeah, we put strawberries in almost every time.

My goal is to make it a way to eat a ton of fruit - my son never chooses to eat just a piece of fruit but he loves smoothies. And we're usually on the go in the mornings- smoothies are a nice way to start the day even if we have to be in the car.

Wish I was adventurous enough to try green smoothies!

We use ice if we want it 'icy' but use frozen fruit most of the time.

Our favorite is PB*J

Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothies

(this recipe fills a blender and makes 4 8 oz. servings for our family. You can just scale back or freeze the excess as popsicles!)

3 C frozen berry mix (we use a mix of raspberries, strawberries and blueberries)

3/4 C peanut butter

1-2 bananas

1 C Greek Honey Yogurt (or use 1 C Plain Yogurt and 2 TB honey)

big handful of fresh spinach. (for reals. You can’t taste it..it adds some green vitamins and iron)

1 C Milk, depending on how thick you like your smoothies (add more if you need more volume or like your smoothies thinner)

Sprinkling of ground chai seeds, flax seeds protein powder or whatever other additives you like to put in)

Pulse away!

If you like your smoothies like slushies, you can add ice to this and layer it on the bottom, but the frozen fruit is usually enough.

You can find more on my blog.

We never use ice. Yogurt, frozen fruit (we freeze fresh when it's cheap, buy frozen when it's out of season), a touch of milk/juice to make it thin enough to go through the straw.

That's what we do. Frozen fruit make ice unnecessary.

Yeah, we put strawberries in almost every time.
We use bananas almost every time. They add sweetness and thickness.

This morning's smoothie:

2 bananas

frozen mixed fruit

apple

romaine lettuce (I prefer spinach myself...dd prefers kale)

soy milk and/or juice to right consistency

Another I really like:

banana, blueberries, soy milk, spinach

I can make this one in the magic bullet just for me. My dd doesn't like frozen blueberries.

But my friends at work when we were in Virginia really liked it. And it's such a pretty purple if you skimp on the spinach.

I never use ice. And I almost never use yogurt.

If anyone has a high fat/calorie one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

My boys love smoothies, but I always give them less so they can drink Pediasure instead so they'll gain a little weight.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Wish I was adventurous enough to try green smoothies!

We have green smoothies a lot! 1/2 cup of organic o.j, 1/2 cup of organic yogurt, 1/2 of a banana, 1 heaping tsp of MagmaPlus, dash of cinnamon, dash of honey or agave, and 1 heaping tbls. of protein powder. If the banana is frozen, you don't need ice, otherwise add enough ice to make the shake as thick as you want. Yummy!

We have green smoothies a lot! 1/2 cup of organic o.j, 1/2 cup of organic yogurt, 1/2 of a banana, 1 heaping tsp of MagmaPlus, dash of cinnamon, dash of honey or agave, and 1 heaping tbls. of protein powder. If the banana is frozen, you don't need ice, otherwise add enough ice to make the shake as thick as you want. Yummy!

I don't now what MagmaPlus is, and I'm off to look it up, but I know I'd have to call it something else. MagmaPlus? Really? They couldn't think of a better name?

Never used protein powder- enlighten me about the benefits, please.