Menu

X-Post If you had two hours a day to do self-education ...

If I had two hours every day I would work through Algebra II and higher maths - it was so hard in high school but I think I might understand better now.

I'd also like to redo science. Again, I just didn't get it in school or college for that matter.

Both of these subjects seem very interesting to me now, but I couldn't follow either one when I was younger.

I guess I'm a late bloomer.

I would split it between

2 areas of interest: History, esp. British and early Church History; and great books;

and two areas of skill

Grammar (I really want to have time to do R&S grammar for ME)

Spanish (We have Rosetta Stone - I don't want bookwork, but I'd like to learn to speak the language.)

And I'd love more time to study the Bible...

I'm not sure two hours are going to be enough!

I don't do a lot of learning apart from my kids. I see others doing it and think that maybe I "should," but I never seem to find much time. I do read books on how to structure our learning time like WTM and Rupp's Home Learning Year By Year, and I do sit with my kids to do many of their lessons rather than leaving them to do tons of independent work, but we learn together. On my own independent time, I learn more in the global sense of how to teach. I read these boards and look ahead, and I read books like "How to Read Literature Like a Professor" and I watch my IEW and Teaching the Classics DVD's. I do read some history books, and try to keep up with some of my older child's reading, but that is about it. If I found more time, I would probably work ahead in Latin, but I have trouble getting motivated to do that without a compelling reason (I need to understand what he is doing for that class when he does it- but I don't need to until he is about to do the lesson). You can call me a slacker, if you want. I probably am, in many ways!

What would you do during that two hours?

French and piano. I am a reader who always finds time daily for this pleasure. But I seem to lack the discipline (and open blocks of time) for French. My piano studies began as an adult and lasted for eight years. How unfortunate that I am out of the habit of practice (again, discipline issue)!

Jane

I sort of did this starting last summer by taking a year of Spanish at our local community college. My older two had done Spanish (through high school Spanish 3) without much help from me. However, my youngest has special needs, so I took Spanish so that I could help him this year in Spanish 1. (I was "proficient" in French in college, but never took a single Spanish class in either high school or college.)

Currently, I'm trying to work my way through math from algebra 2 on up, since I figure that my youngest will need my help there, too. I went through over a year of calculus in college, but (1) somehow missed linear algebra, and (2) don't remember anything after halfway through algebra 2 anyway! (College was a long, long time ago!)

Abstract and precis writing, essay writing, piano....

Since 2 hours a day is a distant dream I'm thankful that 15 minutes(or less!) a day of private time can (and has) gotten me through Rod and Staff Grammar and Henle I and II. The Latin could have been done much better but it was better than nothing.

Well, I already answered , but then I remembered I want to do Algebra too, and art, and art history......... can we make it 5 hours a day to study?!:001_smile:

Oh and after Latin I want to do greek, and then maybe.....

Cedarmom

But I work full-Time (40 hours a week) so I figure the most I can do is 2 hours a day. If only I could get paid to learn, eh?

I'm way too eccentric to follow a pre-determined course of study. My dream would be to research/practice whatever topic interested me until I was satisfied. That would be a little heaven-on-earth for me. Actually, I already do that to an extent, between the hours of 10pm and when I start to fall asleep...sometimes way beyond the 2 hour time framed posed here.

Some of my interests/topics are:

Ancient Civilizations (particularly their advanced technology)

Evidence of Genesis in the Chinese language

Story-telling as an art

Doll-making of all shapes and sizes (from 1" -20")

This is not a hobby..it's art!

best intentions,

Geo

But I work full-Time (40 hours a week) so I figure the most I can do is 2 hours a day. If only I could get paid to learn, eh?

If you are working full time and still manage 2 hours of self-education, I am impressed. You must use your time efficiently.

Yes, I think it would be perfect to get paid too learn....problem is noone is volunteering to pay me!:D

Cedarmom

Jane, I'm out of practice with guitar, too, and I felt guilty and awful about it until I realized its loss coincided with the beginning of homeschooling high school. I think it is just something that will have to wait. The sad part is that my hands are small and weak and unless I'm really doing it, I can't play at all. Ug. -Nan

Jane, I'm out of practice with guitar, too, and I felt guilty and awful about it until I realized its loss coincided with the beginning of homeschooling high school. I think it is just something that will have to wait. The sad part is that my hands are small and weak and unless I'm really doing it, I can't play at all. Ug. -Nan

Another of the small handed group. I am one of those people who look at long, graceful fingers with complete envy! An octave stretch on the keyboard is really a stretch for me!

I managed to hang in there with the piano when homeschooling began, but after our teacher left town two years ago (ds was wrapping up 8th grade), I lost my motivation.

You are right--there are seasons in our lives for all things. We must sometimes wait.

Jane

I spend most of my study time getting ready for the Praxis so I can be certified and be able to homeschool other kids in a couple of years (so I can go back to homeschooling her). I also spend a good deal of time in Bible study, but only when I'm teaching.

I'd love to start reading better books. I reread Scarlet Letter last year, and realized how good it was--I make ds read a lot of books, but I don't preread them, so I think I will do more of that next year.