Menu

Natural health people....help! Root canals

My dh dentist recommends root canal for his tooth. It is not infected but he is in pain with that tooth and very sensitive to hot/cold. This dentist rarely recommends root canal. My dh prefers to get his tooth pulled.

I know there are health problems due to root canal surgeries from what I have read on natural health and real food blogs.

What are the alternatives to root canal?? What did you do if you got recommended for root canal??

Holly

I've never read about health problems due to root canal surgeries. I had two, with no problems whatsoever.

I vote for getting rid of the root and saving the tooth. See an endodontist who does root canals all day long, rather than a general dentist who only does them once in a while. just my two cents :)

ETA: it's a fairly high-tech procedure. This is not your father's root canal, so to speak.

Edited by wapiti

I vote for getting rid of the root and saving the tooth. See an endodontist who does root canals all day long, rather than a general dentist who only does them once in a while. just my two cents :)

:iagree:

Root canals are pretty safe. Of course, there is the possibility of complications with any procedure. There are potential problems with pulling a tooth also.

I had a tooth pulled as a child and 4 root canals as an adult. I'll take a root canal anyday. It was so easy. It was just long and boring.

My regular dentist did them because I have no dental insurance.

I would not wait. I did and the pain became unbearable. I almost gave myself a root canal. :001_smile:

My dh and I both have had root canals. We went to an endodontist and had no problems. BTW, we don't have dental insurance either, and they were more willing to work with us on discounts that the general dentist was. Never hurts to ask if they give "cash" discounts.

Just had a root canal this morning and it was no big deal. I am a wuss about pain and it hurts less now it did than yesterday. No tylenol even.

I don't see how it could be any riskier than pulling a tooth. My dentist was extremely careful about keeping the root sterile and making sure that the sealant made a good bond. I go back in a week for the new crown.

My dh dentist recommends root canal for his tooth. It is not infected but he is in pain with that tooth and very sensitive to hot/cold. This dentist rarely recommends root canal. My dh prefers to get his tooth pulled.

I know there are health problems due to root canal surgeries from what I have read on natural health and real food blogs.

What are the alternatives to root canal?? What did you do if you got recommended for root canal??

Holly

I've never researched it myself, but a friend told me she had been reading research that says women who have had root canals have a much, much higher incidence of breast cancer. She did a little researching on her own, and found that most of the women she knew who'd had breast cancer had also had a root canal at some point in the past.

I've never researched it myself, but a friend told me she had been reading research that says women who have had root canals have a much, much higher incidence of breast cancer. She did a little researching on her own, and found that most of the women she knew who'd had breast cancer had also had a root canal at some point in the past.

How about women without breast cancer? I think root canals are just really common, so 'causation' is dubious. They probably all have refrigerators and wear bras too, right? One must be careful.

The natural solution is probably to get rid of sugar and cheew crunchy veges all day long, but I don't think extracting a bunch of teeth is so great. I know a lady with about three teeth left in her mouth.