Menu

Phonics Curriculum for a 1st grader who struggles to focus?

This last year I had our kindergartener do Abeka k5 for her phonics program. I really loved it for our first girl (typical driven first born) but for our second she's more of a hands-on, less focused kinda kid. Which is fine but I'm just not sure what to do for next year with her. She really stuggled/got frustrated with Abeka phonics because of the work sheets. She would do great 1 on 1 with the lessons, but then couldn't keep focus to do her worksheets on her own. So we are starting 1st grade with her reading basic phonics books that "follow the rules". Not only do I not know what to do for first grade phonics, but we are starting SOTW and Apologia Science with her this year and I'm afraid she'll get behind or frustrated with her other subjects because of her reading level? I love SOTW and want to do it but the reading list they suggest would be mostly me reading to her a this level?

So with all that said....what should I do about phonics with her? I really want something that is best for a child who has a short attention span/has trouble focusing. I was looking at OPGTR because of the lack of worksheets and the one on one teaching? Any curriculum choices or over all tips would be so helpful! Thanks!!!

Mandi

I used OPGTR and let my wiggle worm, ds8, pick out the marker color for the day. I liked that better than using the pre-fab cards because I figured it helped him to see how letters were formed.

I used ETC with the older one as a remedial method because they were quick and simple and seemed to help him. I would have used them with ds8, too, but he didn't need them.

I would suggest both of those. I think http:http://www.starfall.com has some games that might entertain her and reinforce her phonics at the same time.

Another thing to mention is that the first volume of SOTW is meant to be read to your younglings or read by a 5th grader on the second go around. I would try one of the other phonics games that out there.

Two of my kids (so far) have been very "busy" learners, and I have found out that less, not more, to focus on has been better for them. Phonics Pathways has been good for my busy boys--no colorful pages, no worksheets, just thefacts ma'am. The "boring" black and white pages were what they needed to help narrow their focus. There are reproducible pages/games in the back of PP if you want/need them. I love the fact that PP cuts out all the fat and gets down to business.

OPGTR & Phonics Pathways

Even if your 1st grader was at a higher reading level you would still need to read a 1st grader their history and science. So don't worry about that, but do focus on phonics without workbooks. If you want short phonics worksheets look at R&S phonics 1. I use only the phonics books and love them. There is two pages to each lesson. The first page is writing the letter and crossing out the pictures that don't begin with that letter. It takes 2 minutes tops for the first page and 5 minutes for the second page. You can see samples at http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Rod_and_Staff_Phonics/

My wiggly DS does better with short focused lessons. For phonics we used Phonics Pathways. For history and science last year in 1st grade, I did all of the reading. For history, he narrated to me, and I wrote it down. For science, I asked a couple of questions and let him answer orally. I also worked very hard on including lots of hands on activities for history and science to make it fun. HTH

My wiggly, attention challenged DD has done well with Phonics Road to Reading, Writing and Spelling using a white board. It's quick and to the point, so she doesn't have to focus for very long. I have a blog post where I talk about how to do it with attention challenged children.

http://givingourbest.blogspot.com/2011/05/phonics-road-to-reading-writing-and.html

So looking at Phonics Pathways, would teaching my 1st grader: OPGTR, Phonics Pathways, and AAS 1 be an overkill? I mean am I going to confuse her between the three? Does each teach the phonic rules in a different manner or would it be just like review for her when we learn the rules for a second or third time as we come across them in each curriculum?

I would choose either PP or OPG and combine with AAS.

If you do all 3, it won't be confusing, just too much.

I would also add in some games, and make sure you are working from the white board for the majority of your work, write out the words in her choice of marker color.

My game is also a fun way to practice the concepts:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

I think both PP and OPG have game ideas, I'm sure the new 10th edition PP does. There is also a new companion to PP that is games and cards, I haven't tried it out but they look fun:

http://www.dorbooks.com/phonics_pathways_boosters.html

Also, CAT phonics has some fun free games, scroll down for games:

http://www.catphonics.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/contents.htm

Since you have Abeka phonics and like it, why not use it without the workbook? Honestly, I think the program is complete without it. Maybe add some additional practice on a white board or something like AAS or just the tiles. My ds will be doing Abeka k4 this year without the workbook, he is VERY hands on and likes the games (and we add more). DD did the first 65 lessons of Abeka phonics 1 without the workbook and had great retention. Didn't feel like she missed anything. We add phonics games and lots of reading... just a thought, as I am a big fan of using what you have if you can ;)

Edited by ByGrace3

My wiggly' date=' attention challenged DD has done well with Phonics Road to Reading, Writing and Spelling using a white board. It's quick and to the point, so she doesn't have to focus for very long. I have a blog post where I talk about how to do it with attention challenged children.

http://givingourbest.blogspot.com/2011/05/phonics-road-to-reading-writing-and.html[/quote']

:iagree: I am currently using PR w/ 3 boys (9,8,6). They are doing well...and they never sit still!

I like Phonics Pathways. For my ds1 I just had him read one page per day for 1st grade. My dd1 has a shorter attention span so we do part of a page and I use a white board sometimes to write the words on.

:iagree: PP is "barebones" and open to all kinds of options for extras. If I have one beef it is that they don't have them in the book ... you have to think them up, and I was new to teaching reading, but let your imagination fly.

Consider the SWR way. I found my son thought the cards a FUN challenge, and we laughed quite a bit on the example sentences we made up. Also, his ability to listen to a word and get the hints and spell it FAR outstripped his reading ability, and he was quite focused on it, without wiggling or whining. I think his ease with that helped give him a positive boost towards reading. If you don't want to do the SWR cards, or are considering AAS down the line, the tiles have most of the sounds of SWR, and you can do it on a board with the child touching the tiles, too.