Menu

Book Reports

I am studying chapter 3 of WRTR right now. They list 3 strands of reading: literary appreciation, text structure, and comprehension. Some things are well explained and some glossed over. There is mention of the McCall-Crabbs books, but not a full explanation of exactly which parts of the 3 strands are taught in them.

I am especially interested in Spalding's "5 Attributes of Quality Literature": precise language, emotional appeal, content, insight into people and life, and universality. People of strong faiths would want to add a 6th attribute or expand one of the others to include discussion about their faith, I would think.

If I am reading this correctly, students are taught the 3 strands of reading by using the short lessons in the McCall-Crabbs and then will be taught to apply the strands to "trade books" as they call them. WRTR shows graphic organizer worksheets, but doesn't sell them :-0 I guess they are only available in some type of training binder :-(

I would like to fully understand Spalding reading and to then create a book report worksheet, but am struggling to get the full picture.

I never did more than a few book reports with my boys. I didn't TEACH fiction. I thought story books were a waste of our precious time. As I heal from my traumas, I'm exploring more of what it means to be human and beginning to dabble in things for the sheer pleasure of experiencing them. I'm still pretty confused about what is worthy of being TAUGHT about fiction though :-0

The Spalding method seems...appropriate...right now, but...darn...they seem to be toying with me till I buy the full yearly integrated lesson plans which are $70.00 each :-( and also require the McCall-Crabbs books and posters and... So 6 years of Spalding is...? I don't even want to add it up :-( I don't want all that. I just want a full explanation of their reading method. Sigh!

I was just wondering about book reports too. We'll be doing narration and comprehension with WWE and McCall Crabbs, but I really like the idea of this reading log book that helena recently shared in another thread.

If I am reading this correctly, students are taught the 3 strands of reading by using the short lessons in the McCall-Crabbs and then will be taught to apply the strands to "trade books" as they call them. WRTR shows graphic organizer worksheets, but doesn't sell them :-0 I guess they are only available in some type of training binder :-(

I would like to fully understand Spalding reading and to then create a book report worksheet, but am struggling to get the full picture.

I'd be interested in knowing about their reading method, and their book report worksheet, too. When you have the full explanation that you're wanting, please come back and share with us. :thumbup:

I didn't formally assign her to do them because I want her to view reading as something enjoyable rather than a chore.

That's basically where I am with my son who reads at about a 2nd/3rd grade level - chapter books, essentially. We keep a reading log. Occasionally I might incorporate it into writing, but he's not especially strong with writing so that turns it into a struggle, or, at least, I think it could if I pushed it. Mostly, I make a point to discuss the books he's reading with him - to talk about characters, emotional response, what made it "good" or "bad," and anticipation of what will happen next as he reads. A couple of times, I've had him narrate a book review for my blog, and that's something I'd like to do a little more. Really, I think all that's more authentic than a "book report" - book reviews have a real world purpose and when I read as an adult, I discuss the book with dh or friends in the ways I try to discuss with him.

I haven't had any of my kids do book reports. (my oldest is going into 5th grade). My kids are all writing phobic. I see no point at this age in ruining their love of reading by making them write. They do, however starting quite young write their own science and history narrations. These range in length of one sentence to a page or more for my older ones. I think they probably get more out of that at this age than book reports.

This year my oldest is entering logic stage, so we'll work more on literary analysis this year, but still not writing much. We'll mostly do it orally per SWB's lit. analysis lecture. If you haven't listened to it check it out! If you're looking to be released from the obligation of book reports just for the sake of saying you do them it's a great listen! :D

I got the Evan-Moor book How to Report on Books for my DD last year and she did a number of the activities for fun. I didn't formally assign her to do them because I want her to view reading as something enjoyable rather than a chore.

I have this book, and so far we have just done the first two lessons. (Those would be 1.) fiction vs. nonfiction and 2.) the level of realism in fiction, by the way.) All I've done are the lessons on the left-hand page, using books they recommend (and that are available from my public library) as models. I've also brought up those lessons when discussing a book he's reading. (For instance, he decided that Grasshopper's Journey by Arnold Lobel is rather unrealistic fiction.) So far so good.

As we begin his formal school year next month, I plan to continue the lessons once a week and make him fill out a sheet of his choice for each of his weekly reading assignments. He hates writing, so, depending on the writing level of his week, I may end up doing the actual writing part, but I want to get him thinking a little more about what he's reading.

I got the Evan-Moor book How to Report on Books for my DD last year and she did a number of the activities for fun. I didn't formally assign her to do them because I want her to view reading as something enjoyable rather than a chore.

I also have these workbooks from Evan-Moor which I think are good. We don't necessarily do the whole book, but we do some of the activities as written work and others as discussion. I think they are helpful in that they cover the kinds of literature skills I want my kids to learn but might not otherwise think of teaching them.

My daughter started book reports in fourth grade. She did one about once every 3-4 weeks. They didn't have to be very long and they were usually creative type things... she might do a storyboard, write a new ending to a book, add in an adventure of her own, compare her life to a main character's, write a letter to a main character about their behavior, that kind of thing.

Just wanted to post about these free book report forms. They are better than anything else I've seen free on the internet and when my son was in the second grade he loved them. We did over 10 one year. They do grow in complexity and grade. You can choose the grade level that is right for the ability of your child. Hope you like...

http://www.lovetolearnplace.com/BookReports/BookReport.html

Dee :)

Just wanted to post about these free book report forms. They are better than anything else I've seen free on the internet and when my son was in the second grade he loved them. We did over 10 one year. They do grow in complexity and grade. You can choose the grade level that is right for the ability of your child. Hope you like...

These forms are great! Thank you for the link. :001_smile:

These are wonderful!!!

We don't do them. We talk about the books he reads to see if he has comprehension, and that's it. That's the point of book reports, right? Other than that we do copywork and dictation or he writes a few sentences about a chapter. We're just following SWB on writing.

• 1 month later...
My daughter started book reports in fourth grade. She did one about once every 3-4 weeks. They didn't have to be very long and they were usually creative type things... she might do a storyboard, write a new ending to a book, add in an adventure of her own, compare her life to a main character's, write a letter to a main character about their behavior, that kind of thing.

I like the creativity of these ideas! Thanks for sharing. :)

My DD is going into 4th and I'm hoping to start book reports/journaling of some sort. She's writing phobic too, so I'm struggling with what to have her do. I'm thinking of making up some charts for her to fill out so there is less writing for her. Right now we just discuss some of her books.