Menu

How do you clean your wood floors?

I am just curious. I have those prefinished engineered hardwood floors. I had been using water and vinegar and then a friend said that was damaging. I would have loved to have the old-fashioned hard woods but you practically have to move out to have those installed. Does anyone know about this?

Well, I guess I'm a bad girl but I love to mop with Murphy's and warm water. There is nothing like that smell!! It doesn't happen very often though.

I keep a spray bottle of vinegar and water and mop with Swiffer in between. Not sure why it would damage them, that's what I was told to use.

I am just curious. I have those prefinished engineered hardwood floors. I had been using water and vinegar and then a friend said that was damaging. I would have loved to have the old-fashioned hard woods but you practically have to move out to have those installed. Does anyone know about this?

I'd do some research for yourself. FWIW, when I did (in an attempt to learn how to care for my newly installed Bellawood Brazilian Cherry hardwoods), I came away with the impression that hot water and some vinegar was about the best way to do it. Of course, some of that research included these boards, just as you are doing! :D

I love oil soap and hot water here.

BTW, vinegar is bad for tile floors also. It deteriorates the grout. My grandmother in law had been sweeping what appeared to be sand for weeks til the floor guys told her that it was the vinegar eating away at the grout.

I've never had the prefinished engineered type. The two houses I've lived in with hardwood was the old-fashioned kind. I couldn't use vinegar. The dog likes it. He would lick the floors after I cleaned them. He licks the lemon oil I use on the wood furniture too. Weird dog.

Anyway, I've got a Floormate and used a tank of water and a teaspoon of bleach.

I have pre-engineered wood floors (Kahrs brand), and I use plain hot water. Vinegar leaves spots. Any kind of soap or detergent leaves a film. I did some research and found that plain water is the best thing. I've never needed more because absolutely nothing sticks to this finish. Hot water gets up even the worst stuff. A steamer might be easier, but I haven't needed it. I'd be afraid of damaging the floor by getting distracted and leaving the steamer in the same spot too long. You may not have the distraction problem.

Oh, I did have an entire bottle of India Ink spill and partially dry on my floor. I used rubbing alcohol to get that up. It all came up without even a trace, and it didn't damage the floor finish. I wouldn't use it for the whole floor, but it's great for spot cleaning stubborn spots.

We are good friends with a family that owns a hardwood flooring company. They've installed new floors and refinished existing floors for us and they've always recommended to us water and vinegar. I would think that would be safe, but you could always check with the manufacturer.

I love oil soap and hot water here.

BTW, vinegar is bad for tile floors also. It deteriorates the grout. My grandmother in law had been sweeping what appeared to be sand for weeks til the floor guys told her that it was the vinegar eating away at the grout.

Yes - vinegar is acidic and is no good for grout, for sure!

It's a water-based product that is super easy to use, has no odor, and doesn't leave streaks. I have heard of floor refinishing companies who won't touch floors which have been regularly cleaned with Murphy's Oil. :-o

Here's the site.

I have also seen Bona in the grocery store.

I clean my 1500 sq. ft. of floors daily (more or less, lol) with a microfiber "mop," and use Bona when I think about it, lol. It cleans like a champ.

The water should be hot, but not too hot. Very hot water will warp your floors faster, and never use steam.

I was told by the floor guy never to use Murphy's oil, because it leaves some sort of film. I would think it would be ok to use once in a while.

Plain water also works fine. Vinegar does leave some spots, be not if you only use a little. The vinegar gets cuts any grease or stickiness on the floor.

My dog doesn't like it, which is a plus. If he licked it up I would have to fine another product. :)

The one thing that I didn't read that our floor refinisher guy said, is that you must dry the floor. I wash and then the kids dry it. I will say that this has decreased the frequency of this event for us, but we do it sometimes and it looks great when it happens.

Ronda

I use Murphy's oil soap and warm water. I don't believe that vinegar & water would wreck your floor but it is an acid and certainly wouldn't be "good" for them...

Murphy's is kinder and leaves a lustrous sheen.

Geo