Menu

Scripted math curriculum

Paula in MS

I am looking for a completely scripted math curriculum for 4th grade. I know that Saxon is scripted through third but not past that. I don't consider abeka scripted. ( I also need something that does not spiral quite so much.).

When I say scripted, I mean like FLL4. I am a math lover teaching a math hater. I feel like I tend to skip steps when I try to teach her because I am on a totally different page than she is.

Any suggestions?

Paula

The first three grade levels of R&S are definitely scripted. From fourth grade on, it *can* be scripted but is not always necessary, as the student text contains everything the dc need to know. However, there are very complete oral class lessons in the TM.

You can request free curriculum samples by calling (606) 522-4348, the publisher's number. Although you can see the samples on the Web site (which is not, BTW, the publisher's Web site), *I* like to hold some things in my hand and read them without sitting at my computer, KWIM?

I am looking for a completely scripted math curriculum for 4th grade. I know that Saxon is scripted through third but not past that. I don't consider abeka scripted. ( I also need something that does not spiral quite so much.).

When I say scripted, I mean like FLL4. I am a math lover teaching a math hater. I feel like I tend to skip steps when I try to teach her because I am on a totally different page than she is.

Any suggestions?

Paula

McRuffy Math is scripted, but at the moment 4th grade is as high as it goes. Eventually there will be 5th and 6th grade books, but probably not in time for your chld. :(

A couple of thoughts:

- Saxon is spiral-based (introduces a "bite" of a topic, introduces "bites" of other topics in the next few lessons, then spirals back around to the first topic several lessons later for another "bite") -- perhaps DD needs a mastery-based program (incremental steps one after another completely cover a topic before moving onto a new topic), usually includes review of past.

- What kind of learner (takes in best via visual, auditory, or hands-on) and "processor" (abstract, sequential, parts to whole "left brain" or concrete, random, intuitively gets the "big picture" and THEN sees the parts) is your DD? Saxon is very abstract/logical in presentation, starting in grade 4, and then again esp. with the middle school/high school Algebra levels. Perhaps your DD needs a more visual/concrete presentation of math?

- What about taking teaching and learning style clashes out of the mix with a DVD-lesson based program such as Math-U-See (gr. K-12) or Teaching Textbooks (gr. 3-12)? You would watch the DVDs WITH DD, but the main teacher is the DVD, and you are the as-needed "tutor" to flesh it out or explain in a different way.

Just some thoughts to ponder as you work through your Math dilemma. BEST of luck whatever you go with! Warmest regards, Lori D.

How about Math Mammoth? I'm in the same situation as you, math lover teaching a math hater, and I'm finding it works fairly well. It's not as scripted as FLL, but it's laid out so step-by-step that I just read it along with my dd. If she's confused when she's doing the problems she can always go back to the instructions. It's saved us from a lot of frustration that used to come between us.