Menu

"Video Game" for a 3 year old?

Ds9 likes to play Nintendo on the emulator on the computer. Ds3 wants to play too. However he doesn't know how to work the controller. Well he just hasn't figured it out yet really.

Is there a video game-ish.... thing... that I can get for him to play?

My little nephew (whom we care for while Mom works) sometimes plays Angry Birds on my iPhone or iPad, Neopet games on the laptop, and KungFu Panda on our Xbox. He doesn't have any game systems at home yet, as he's only 5. We got Xbox 3 years ago, and he only noticed the dealio a few months ago. We are not huge Xboxers, but I do like Neopets Word Poker. ;) lol He likes the Gnome one. lol I have to turn off the sound when he plays. He barely ever makes it through. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

They have pretty limited use time - my boys had theirs at age 4.5, I think - but they had outgrown them completely by age 5.5 - the games were just too easy by then. So I vote cheaper is better, but these things change so fast that I'm not really sure what all the differences are between the three you posted.

The first one. Although if you want something with greater longevity, DH says he would figure out a Nintendo DS in no time. But then the 9yo would need one too! The awesome thing about the DS is that used games are cheap and readily available.

If you don't mind him using your computer, Pickle's Book is an ancient (1994) but altogether delightful little game. I do so wish somebody would re-make it leaving the world as-is but with updated graphics. It's perfect for 3yo.

ETA: It's free and can be played online.

Edited by nmoira

The Leapster 2 (your first link and cheapest one) would be the best for a 3 yr old - BUT the last link the Leapster Explorer is their newest one so therefore would have the better games (and more expensive most likely) in the long run.

The Leapster2 will play ALL leapster games except the Explorer ones. My kids got theirs at 3/4 and on occasion will still play them but it's harder to find games for them at their ages/levels though DS loves the 3rd/4th grade Batman game he got at Christmas.

We have a Leapster for ds and a Leapster 2 for dd. They both still like to play on them but not as often as when we first got them. It is harder to get games for ds but he loves games like Creature Create and Pet Pals. Mr. Pencils Draw and Write is good for learning to write letters.

We have a Wii but dd doesn't play on it at all - it's still too hard for her.

They both are loving playing Webkinz on the computer right now.

DD likes playing games on my ITouch. I have mostly free games and mostly older ones since my ITouch is old but we have - Tappy Tunes, Memory, Balloons (amazing how something so simple keeps little kids amused), Tozzle, iWrite, Doodle Buddy (dd's favorite right now), preK Safari Lite, Dress Chica.