Menu

Can I just say how great WWS is!?

Keep in mind we have only just begun (with the wonderful samples), but it is great! I can give you an example; recently dd11 was trying to write a narration from her lit book Anne of Green Gables and it was painful. She has plenty to say which has always been her problem. We have been doing dictations and narrations for a few years now but she just can't seem to whittle it down to just the main points. So her narration on just 20 pages of the book was 21/2 paragraphs long and that was with me helping her limit it. Yesterday we did a lesson in WWS on the very same thing and she walked away with a 3 sentence narration. I can't figure out what I've been doing wrong but I sure am glad SWB got it right!!!

Keep in mind we have only just begun (with the wonderful samples), but it is great!

It's good to hear this! We start next month :)

What ages is this aimed at?

From SWB's blog http://www.welltrainedmind.com/blog/:

Writing With Skill is designed to start at any time from fifth grade on; these are basic skills that should be in place before a student begins to study rhetoric, so any student who is not quite ready for a rhetoric course can benefit from starting with the first book and moving forward.

with dictation it seems to be feast or famine. I've got a dumper also, so I feel your pain. I've had to work really, really hard with my son to get his dictations down but things have got a lot better in the past year.

:bigear:

Has anyone found comprehension workbooks like What's the Main Idea?to help with this at third/fourth grade? (i.e. even before starting on WWS?)

I don't know. The pdf will be available sooner but it costs an arm and a leg to print where I live and it would be horribly expensive on my inkjet. I may have to consider a laser printer.

What I have done is load the pdf onto my ds Kindle and he is loving it. He takes it to his room and reads it, then comes back to me if he has any questions. We are only on week 1, but ds had commented a few times how great it is having it on the Kindle vs having it printed up.

What I have done is load the pdf onto my ds Kindle and he is loving it. He takes it to his room and reads it, then comes back to me if he has any questions. We are only on week 1, but ds had commented a few times how great it is having it on the Kindle vs having it printed up.

Useful to know, thanks! I'd wondered about doing this, but was erring toward printing because I find it easier to read. I may start by just printing out the first few weeks of the parent section & see how we get on.

Useful to know, thanks! I'd wondered about doing this, but was erring toward printing because I find it easier to read. I may start by just printing out the first few weeks of the parent section & see how we get on.

You can increase the text size and rotate the Kindle display.

We don't have a kindle or iPad. 8-(

Well now you have a reason to buy one. :D

In the long run it will work out a lot cheaper than buying a new printer.

Just think of all the school book you could put on there. And when library lending from the library becomes available at the end of the year, why you will save even more money. (If you library offers the service, that is.)

Well now you have a reason to buy one. :D

In the long run it will work out a lot cheaper than buying a new printer.

Just think of all the school book you could put on there. And when library lending from the library becomes available at the end of the year, why you will save even more money. (If you library offers the service, that is.)

My library offers some kind of service like that but for some reason it only works w/ PCs and not Macs.:glare:

Ah....this makes perfect sense. I already have MM on the iPad. It's intrigued dd's enough to WANT to do their MATH. They are more than happy to use it and I am more than happy to let them. :lol::lol::lol:

How do you do MM on the iPad?

When you buy the downloadable version it is in .pdf format. I've done the same thing.

My dd11 doesn't like doing schoolwork from her Kindle. :glare: That's okay, though, I have everything I possibly can put on it on my Kindle so that it is all I have to carry around with me.

Keep in mind we have only just begun (with the wonderful samples), but it is great! I can give you an example; recently dd11 was trying to write a narration from her lit book Anne of Green Gables and it was painful. She has plenty to say which has always been her problem. We have been doing dictations and narrations for a few years now but she just can't seem to whittle it down to just the main points. So her narration on just 20 pages of the book was 21/2 paragraphs long and that was with me helping her limit it. Yesterday we did a lesson in WWS on the very same thing and she walked away with a 3 sentence narration. I can't figure out what I've been doing wrong but I sure am glad SWB got it right!!!

Yay! Glad to hear this. I have those samples, too, but haven't taken the time to print them off yet. I was SO grateful that SWB was offering those. I'm going to use them with my dd next year. And glean anything I can for ds, if necessary.

When you buy the downloadable version it is in .pdf format. I've done the same thing.

My dd11 doesn't like doing schoolwork from her Kindle. :glare: That's okay, though, I have everything I possibly can put on it on my Kindle so that it is all I have to carry around with me.

Yes, but how does she input the answers? I don't actually have an iPad, yet. I'm just trying to convince hubs that we need 1. :) Is the pdf edit-able?

I just got a Kindle yesterday!!! Where did you go to get the WWS download? I did not see it at Amazon...:confused:

How do you do MM on the iPad?

I downloaded the GoodReader app. It is a pdf reader in which you can make annotations to the text. DD opens a text box, inputs her answers, then I open it to check her answers. This works for numerical answers. For geometrical chapters, the GoodReader functions would not work. If you do a search, you can see how others are using these annotating features for their children's work.

HTH

P.S. The iPad has been great to use in our homeschool. The kids think they're playing on it, but with all the educational apps available, they're learning a thing or two as well.

You can either manually load it through your computer or email it to your kindle email address. Mine is my name@kindle.com. If you attach it and put CONVERT in the subject line (you don't have to put anything in the body). It will get sent to your kindle as a converted kindle document which is WAY more functional than just a pdf. It functions just like a normal kindle book once converted. I pretty much do an email convert for everything I send.

You can either manually load it through your computer or email it to your kindle email address. Mine is my name@kindle.com. If you attach it and put CONVERT in the subject line (you don't have to put anything in the body). It will get sent to your kindle as a converted kindle document which is WAY more functional than just a pdf. It functions just like a normal kindle book once converted. I pretty much do an email convert for everything I send.

Oh, yes, I just read about this in the instructions. Thanks! I tried plugging the Kindle to the computer as suggested... not sure what to do after that, but all it did (as far as I could see) was to charge the Kindle. I didn't see any way to download anything... need to re-check directions.

I'm planning on printing the first 8 weeks of the parent and student books. I'm starting the first week of Sept. Hopefully that will get us through until it is relased!

Couple questions:

1. The student doesn't write on the student pages like WWE? We need a comp book?

2. How many pages about is 8 weeks of both books?

I'm at the beach and don't have access to it here. I'm making a to-do list though. Thanks for the help!

I downloaded the GoodReader app. It is a pdf reader in which you can make annotations to the text. DD opens a text box, inputs her answers, then I open it to check her answers. This works for numerical answers. For geometrical chapters, the GoodReader functions would not work. If you do a search, you can see how others are using these annotating features for their children's work.

HTH

P.S. The iPad has been great to use in our homeschool. The kids think they're playing on it, but with all the educational apps available, they're learning a thing or two as well.

THANK YOU!

This sounds just like my daughter! I recently got a five page(handwritten) "summary" of the Ugly Duckling. We have started using IEW, but I think I will end up with WWS as well. Somehow I will have to figure out how to combine them, because I love them both!