Menu

Motivations for highschoolers to learn

Dd has completed her 9th grade. It was such a pain to get her to finish her school work. She claimed that she has no motivation to do her work for the homeschool classes. On the contrary, she was very motivation to keep up her grade for the classes she took outside of home :glare:

So, what are the motivations of your highschoolers to complete their school work each day?

How independent are your highschoolers in completing their daily assignments?

How involved are you in their highschoolers education?

I don't have a good answer for you. We went through the same thing in 8th & 9th grades. Now that my son is entering 10th it is starting to get better. My favorite tactic is nagging, but it doesn't work at all. We've had lots of heart-to-heart talks about his goals for the future (he wants to be an attorney) and what it takes to get there. That sometimes works for a day or two, but sometimes he just dissolves into tears and gets nothing done for hours. I ask if he wants to do something different with his life that will require an easier work load, but he always says, "No." I really think he wants to have the moon, but do minimal work... but, don't we all?

Maybe the most effective tactic I've used is searching for things he can have or do if he completes his work, but that I can also withhold if the doesn't. I got pretty tired of making the whole family give up outings because this one child drags his feet, so we started going places without him. We do have to leave one parent home, so this isn't perfect, but at least the other kids aren't getting short-changed. When have a movie to watch, we go ahead and watch it then it goes back to Netfix. Ds just misses it. Period. We go swimming without him if he's not finished. We go to music jams without him. That sounds awful, but it seems to be what he needed. It is really hard for me to do this!!! Now we're entering debate season and he believes me when I tell him that if his school isn't finished, he won't be debating with his brothers and team. (He's doing LD this year partly so he can miss if he needs to without disappointing a partner.) It is getting better.

My younger kids don't seem to have this problem, yet. Maybe they have learned from watching their older brother.

Dd has completed her 9th grade. It was such a pain to get her to finish her school work. She claimed that she has no motivation to do her work for the homeschool classes. On the contrary, she was very motivation to keep up her grade for the classes she took outside of home :glare:

I had the same problem with ds. I think it is a combo of hormones/puberty, testing boundaries, and a lack of maturity. My ds is starting to come out the otherside. He is not so contrary as of late and excited about dual enrollment next summer.

So, what are the motivations of your highschoolers to complete their school work each day?

Being able to play the X-Box, hang with friends, and attend activities.

How independent are your highschoolers in completing their daily assignments?

Nonexistant at this point, lol. Somethings ds does on his own like read and complete worksheets but sometimes I will not get full complete sentences or paragraphs, sloppy handwriting, he will not remember what was read, etc.

How involved are you in their highschoolers education?

I teach math and writing; we discuss science, literature and logic; creative writing, vocabulary, word roots, and editing is completed independently on the computer; electives vary; I also read aloud history and some literature.

All I can say is it does get better eventually!

Witholding food. You decide if I am joking.

Seriously, I agree that hormones/puberty, etc. are a big factor in motivation. When a child is in the middle of significant growth spurts and body changes, daily life; i.e. remembering what to do, staying on track, energy, can be overwhelming. Also, I've found our daughter needs me near her during school hours. I don't sit with her, but she likes my company in the school room. She says my presence provides accountability and adds cred (in her mind) to her schoolwork, especially now that she is the last student at home. Btw, if you have a student who loses track of time, check out the clocks at Accountable Kids.

Edited by 1Togo

Money is a huge motivator for my 14 y.o. son. I am willing to cough some up because it would cost a fortune to hire a tutor (cheapest around here is $50 and hour and it goes way up from there).

If she is motivated in classes outside the home, can she take more? Where I live there is a program at the local public college for highschoolers to take college courses-- free- for credit. They just need a minimum PSAT/ SAT score to be enrolled.

Money is a huge motivator for my 14 y.o. son. I am willing to cough some up because it would cost a fortune to hire a tutor (cheapest around here is $50 and hour and it goes way up from there).

If she is motivated in classes outside the home, can she take more? Where I live there is a program at the local public college for highschoolers to take college courses-- free- for credit. They just need a minimum PSAT/ SAT score to be enrolled.

She put all her effort in the outside classes. It is just the classes at home that she is not motivated. Yes, I am looking into the local college classes for her next year.

My son has been significantly more motivated to work hard for someone other than me.

Ah! Yes I agree!! We have had to 'change' things up a bit..get him plugged in to outside opportunities where...

1. He feels challenged with his peers...competition is a good thing!

2. He's a great kid, he does not want to disappoint anyone else..but does not mind letting things slip here at home! :glare: So, he takes sciences with another mom who has very very structured classes..they complete a whole year in 6 months and he's never made below an A..never not turned anything in...studies for his exams...I really believe it's the structure in addition to being with his peers and not wanting to be the worst student in the class. I often use that nag tag, "Now, you would not show up to Mrs. S's class with half your work done would you?" :)

3. Take advantage of every opportunity where he is surrounded by those who inspire/encourage/motivate!! He's at an economics seminar right now, I'm sure he HATES economics but he LOVES debate (he's been in a debate club for 3 years) and this year's resolution is "The US should significantly change its policy towards revenue"...so this economics seminar is filled with great thinkers from across the country...students who are either just like him or very focused...I've called him every night and it is amazing how he has gone from "Mom, why do you sign me up for these things" (he filled out the application, not me!!) to "Yeah, the speaker today was really focusing on xyz and how xzy will continue to affect xyz.." Music to me ears!! :)

I just never sit and dwell on the moments of lack of focus, no desire to complete work, I pray and try to find avenues that can do better at leading him there than I can....we do Science Olympiad, BEST robotics, anything to get him involved in something...some things stick (BEST robotics was fun but not his thing)..and some things he dreads every year (Science Olympiad) but on the day of the tournament..he is talking non stop and wins medals for his achievements...he is even motivated to take on different categories the next year, but come registration time he'll forget he said all that! :)

So, in short, vary up the experiences..everyone gets bored with the same old routine...give them reasons to learn...surround them with opportunities where competition is an element. With all these things, we still have our struggles here at home, and I do believe it will improve once he gets closer to 11th/12th grade...but it does tire me...just another challenge like how to handle tantrums when they're 2...get creative! :)