Menu

Do you just get the exterior of your home sprayed for bugs?

We use Terminex and in our location they put bait inside - under cabinets, around pipes. It wasn't an issue with our son when he was really little and when we had cats they never were near any of it.

You may be fine with just exterior stuff, but I like having the interior as well. It's just a paste they put in certain locations.

primarily for ants because they end up all over the house if we don't. He knows exactly where they like to come in and doesn't over-do it. I'd be afraid to have someone else come in. My neighbor down the road has a local service come in every month and they really "lay" it on!

We have an independent exterminator. He does the inside and outside of the house (altho I'm sure there are some houses he only does the outside). We have scorpions - I'm willing to deal with the chemical inside the house if it means I don't get scorpions in my closet.

That said, he tells me that mostly what he kills with the spray (which is colorless and odorless) are crickets. By eliminating the crickets, he eliminates the scorpion food source, making our house less attractive to the ruddy things. It also takes care of things like red ants and earwigs (which allegedly eat termites, so I have mixed feelings on those).

We get our exterior sprayed every three months without fail. I have never and will never have any spraying on the inside.

Before moving to the desert, I was very anti-pesticide. But after weighing the risk/benefit, it is worth it to us. When we bought this house a year ago, they never had it sprayed and the black widow problem was just terrible. The scorpions and spiders would take over if we allowed them to.

So I guess I would recommend asking yourself some questions...what types of critters live in the area, are they deadly poisonous, could you rest easy at night not getting sprayed, and then decide from there what you want to do.

I forgot to say that if the technician is thorough, exterior will be enough. Our tech sprays around the outside of the window sills and door jambs...that way if anything happens to get through a little crack somewhere, it will die shortly after entering the house.

Edited by Alyeska
added a detail

We live in Louisiana, so we have to spray the inside occasionally, or the bugs will stage a coup. We do it ourselves, so I am able to time it for when we will not be staying in the house right afterwards. So I will treat the inside of the house right before we leave for vacation or a few days at camp.

I am less worried about the enclosed bait-type stuff, and usually have some under the sinks.

We do just the outside with a 'green' pest control. We don't really have a choice b/c we have Argentine ants and carpenter bees....so we'd like to keep our house! we also had a hive of yellow jackets living in our master bathroom wall to the outside. I had them do the inside once with the green pest control as well b/c we had a horrible silverfish problem, but we never had a problem after that and they really just baited the attic and behind the electric plates. Not sure if they have this in your area, but we use Northwest.