Menu

Dog coat question

I took my beautiful Belgian Shepherd to the groomer today. He sheds heavily this time of year, and I have house guests coming, and just decided to splurge on having someone else do the rather large job of bathing him and pulling out all that shedding undercoat.

I told her she could trim his hindquarters if she thought that would be good. I do that myself sometimes.

So I went in to get him, and he had an all over "puppy cut." She didn't shave him, but she scissor cut him all over. His beautiful manly "ruff" is totally gone. His long, gorgeous black coat is trimmed short.

He looks dreadful.

Okay, he looks cute, but totally breed inappropriate. I'm sad because it took him four years to get this lovely mature Belgian look, and she just took it all off.

Water under the bridge.

But is it going to grow back properly? Anyone know? I can't really find anything online - it's not a super common breed.

Here is how he looked before she totally robbed him of his manhood!

post-473-13535085131525_thumb.jpg

post-473-13535085131525_thumb.jpg

My parents always shaved their golden/lab mix every spring. And he always looked...stupid. But by the end of the summer, just in time for fall, he always had his lovely coat back and it looked great.

At least your dog will be just a little less warm this summer :001_smile:.

And he sure is handsome!

Oh my goodness...

I have a Belgian Tervuren and if that happened to him I would be devastated.

Like you stated, a short cut is totally breed inappropriate.

By ruff do you mean his mane? That is the best part of the coat on the males

belgian-tervuren.jpg

ETA: This is not my dog it is an internet photo. Our dog looks a bit better than this, not so rough.

By ruff do you mean his mane?

And yes, it's trimmed away. And yes, I am pretty upset, although I am trying to just accept it since I can't do a thing about it. This is a really well respected groomer too, who has always given be great advice on feeding him (he's had stomach issues). I really hate that she did this - it's not like I took him to a big box store for grooming. Sigh.

Your dog is absolutely lovely! Is he a complete sweeties like Homer is?

edited to say I just saw that the photo is not your dog but one like to it. Same with my photo - that's a photo of his uncle, but it's what I had just to give a visual.

Edited by Danestress

And yes, it's trimmed away. And yes, I am pretty upset, although I am trying to just accept it since I can't do a thing about it. This is a really well respected groomer too, who has always given be great advice on feeding him (he's had stomach issues). I really hate that she did this - it's not like I took him to a big box store for grooming. Sigh.

Your dog is absolutely lovely! Is he a complete sweeties like Homer is?

edited to say I just saw that the photo is not your dog but one like to it. Same with my photo - that's a photo of his uncle, but it's what I had just to give a visual.

:grouphug:, I am frustrated for you. I at least have the comfort of knowing that if my dog were shaved he would look like the malinois.

And, yes, our dog has the best temperament.

Here's a great story about him.

DS (10 yo at the time) found out about the breed and begged to get a BT puppy. He had been saving money for a trip to Hawaii but asked if he could use that $$ to pay for the pup. We researched breeders and the price of a good quality puppy. DS was excited to find a breeder about an hour from where we live and contacted her about looking at her available dogs. I also contacted her (without DS's knowledge) and told her there was no way DS could afford one of her pups; he just didn't have that kind of money. She was excited to have a young boy interested in the breed and said to bring him anyway so he could play with them.

She met us at the local kennel club with a female and a male she thought would have the best temperament for DS, who has Tourette Syndrome. He wanted the dog as a companion animal.

Both of the pups she selected were terrified of DS's tics, which were vocal and muscular at the time. The male tried to bite DS and the female cowered under a chair. DS was heartbroken.

The lady told us she had one male left but he had been selected by the police academy to be trained as a police dog. He was the most aggressive out of the litter and she was worried about letting DS play with him. I asked her to try it; stupid and illogical, I know, but something told me it would be okay. As soon as the puppy was released into the room he ran to DS and played with him. When DS began to tic, the puppy crawled into his lap and sat there, letting DS stroke him. He followed him all over the room, wagging his tail and being playful. The other two stayed in the corner, quite unsure of the situation.

The lady asked me how much DS had on him and I told her. It was about 1/3 of her asking price. She walked up to DS and asked him if he liked the puppy. His answer was a resounding "yes". She quietly took him to the office where they conducted a deal and DS came out the proud owner of a dog.

This dog has been an amazing friend for my DS. They have a bond that is beyond comprehension.

Now I am all teary eyed with the memory of that day. What a wonderful memory.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

:grouphug: One time when I took our old Golden to the groomer to get bathed, they shaved him. I seriously cried on the way home, I was so upset.

He had a long silky coat, very little undercoat and he didn't shed much at all. His coat grew back, but I'm sorry to say that it was never quite the same.

:grouphug:, I am frustrated for you. I at least have the comfort of knowing that if my dog were shaved he would look like the malinois.

DS (10 yo at the time) found out about the breed and begged to get a BT puppy. He had been saving money for a trip to Hawaii but asked if he could use that $$ to pay for the pup. We researched breeders and the price of a good quality puppy. DS was excited to find a breeder about an hour from where we live and contacted her about looking at her available dogs. I also contacted her (without DS's knowledge) and told her there was no way DS could afford one of her pups; he just didn't have that kind of money. She was excited to have a young boy interested in the breed and said to bring him anyway so he could play with them.

She met us at the local kennel club with a female and a male she thought would have the best temperament for DS, who has Tourette Syndrome. He wanted the dog as a companion animal.

Both of the pups she selected were terrified of DS's tics, which were vocal and muscular at the time. The male tried to bite DS and the female cowered under a chair. DS was heartbroken.

The lady told us she had one male left but he had been selected by the police academy to be trained as a police dog. He was the most aggressive out of the litter and she was worried about letting DS play with him. I asked her to try it; stupid and illogical, I know, but something told me it would be okay. As soon as the puppy was released into the room he ran to DS and played with him. When DS began to tic, the puppy crawled into his lap and sat there, letting DS stroke him. He followed him all over the room, wagging his tail and being playful. The other two stayed in the corner, quite unsure of the situation.

The lady asked me how much DS had on him and I told her. It was about 1/3 of her asking price. She walked up to DS and asked him if he liked the puppy. His answer was a resounding "yes". She quietly took him to the office where they conducted a deal and DS came out the proud owner of a dog.

This dog has been an amazing friend for my DS. They have a bond that is beyond comprehension.

:crying: I'm all teary eyed, too. What a great story!

Pass the Kleenex to me, please. What a lovely story.

I am suffering through a bad dog-hair-cut right now too. I can totally commiserate.

We have a golden retriever/poodle mix with lovely soft wavy auburn colored fur which my partner decided to shave with a 1/4 in. comb on the razor. Thankfully she left a plume on the tale and some length on the top of the head. She does look like her head and tail belong to a normal dog while her body belongs to some different freakish naked dog.

The worst thing about it is that she *likes* it.

I don't think the groomer used blades though. She prides herself on doing scissor cuts, and the few dogs I have sent to her (dogs that were SUPPOSED to be cut, lol, like a poodle and a Westie) looked marvelous whens he was done.

Anyway, I think pulling out the undercoat like I instructed would have helped Homer stay cooler. Cutting the overcoat doesn't. It's designed, according to the breeder) to keep him cool. But I am not telling the breeder about this. He would absolutely be furious, lol. I usually take Homer to see him when he's in town for a show in February. Hopefully Homer will be mostly grown back by then.