Menu

How do I find a certified teacher to test my child?

If you are going through BJUP, they have lists of people who are willing and qualified to test other people's children. I've done it. I've also heard that most people on the lists are not actually willing to do it. BUT, you may meet the requirements for doing the testing yourself.

In Florida, you do not have to have your child tested. You can if you want, but I find an evaluation/review the easiest thing.

My evaluator just looks at some samples of the work ds has done the past year, talks to him, then signs a piece of paper saying that he has progressed well during the year. I then send that into the school board and that it is for the year.

My evaluator lives in Citra, if you know where that is. I know some homeschoolers in Putnam county, if you are near there, who I could ask.

I'm in Florida as well. I have to send mine to the school board office. They might have a list of evaluators available for you in the district office. Do you have a homeschool liaison in your district? Student Services office?

If you are comfortable telling me what area of Florida you live in I might be able to help out a little more. I know teachers in 4 different parts of the state. If they can't help you they could probably tell you who could!

There is a form on my district's website to download. It's not much of an evaluation really. Just a signature from the teacher (and certification #) stating the child is progressing.

Good luck!

Even if you are not a member of a local homeschool support group - I'm sure you could contact them to get a list of evaluators. Usually their list will contain homeschoolers that are still maintaining their state certification. You could also inquire with your district representative from FPEA. You could find out who that is by checking the FPEA website.

I also think that at 7 the evaluation is better than testing. And unfortunately in FL, a state certified teacher has to administer the test. But again, local homeschool groups usually offer testing for the homeschool community. The letter that is filed with your local school board is the same - there should be a sample on the FPEA website.

If you personally know a teacher - you could ask them to do the evaluation for you as well.