Menu

New homeschoolers need advice

Guest gabrij

Guest gabrij

Hi All

We r very new to homeschooling and would like help choosing the best curriculums for our 2nd and 4th graders. So far We have looked at the Abeka and My Father's world catalogs. Was wondering if we could combine both.

Need a very good Language Arts, Science, History/Geography Program. We have decided to use Singapore Math. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

K.D

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I don't have much advice! I am new to homeschooling myself and JUST decided on a plan after 3 months of intense research, reviews, and changing my mind repeatedly, lol...

I am going with Winter Promise as a core, All About Reading for LA, Handwriting Without Tears, and Math Lessons for a Living Education.

I use christian light for our reading, math, science, and lang arts. I love it! For history this year I think i'm going to start using Mystery of History. I have heard really good things about it. Plus its something I can do with both of the kids. I may end up switching science to something I can do with both too. Good luck to you.

I'm going to give you the same advice I gave someone else a few days ago: see if your local library has Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. In the first few chapters, Duffy really does help explain the various aspects of making a homeschooling decision--do you want "traditional" (textbook-based, like A Beka) curriculum, Charlotte Mason, unit studies, classical homeschooling, or a mixture (like My Father's World)? How do your students tend to learn best? What is most important for you to emphasize in your teaching?

Then Duffy goes through her reviews, starting with a chart that lines the various programs up with how they fit into the framework from her first few chapters and also gives additional information, such as about how much time you can expect them to take per day.

It's really, really useful, and a great starting-off point for homeschooling, much more so than any other book I've read. If your local library has it, it's at least worth checking out.

For History - Story of The World or Mystery of History look good. I am using Sonlight which is also a nice program.

For Geography, Evan Moore have some neat "Daily Geography" http://www.currclick.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=geography&x=0&y=0&search_here=1&quicksearch=1&search_filter=0_0_0_0_0&filters=0_0_0_0_0&search_free=&search_manufacturer=127&search_in_description=1&search_in_author=1&search_in_artist=1 - you could meet them in the middle with a 3rd grade Geography program. The downloads are nice b/c you can make multiple copies. I got the workbook from Amazon and made copies. My kids will be in 2nd & 3rd next year and I went with the 2nd grade version.

Language arts is a big area. Well Trained Mind would have you do First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease plus spelling. I personally am doing growing with grammar, winning with writing (both the same publisher), all about spelling and Wordly Wise for our Language Arts program. We are new to HS'ing and hope it will be a good fit for my kids.

I'm going to give you the same advice I gave someone else a few days ago: see if your local library has Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum.

:iagree: Very insightful as to children's learning styles as well as your teaching style!

We looked at MFW and Heart of Dakota and decided on Heart of Dakota for our first year and really enjoyed it. So much so, that we're headed back for this coming year.

Good luck!

I can share my plans for my 4th grader if that helps you at all

Bible- Polished corner stones (all my girls in a group doing this)

Math- Rod & Staff 4 w/ some Saxon 6/5

English- Rod & Staff 3

Spelling- Zaner Bloser free lists done on spellingcity.com

Science- BJU 4

History SOTW 1 w/ her first grade sister & some MOH vol 1 w/ her 8th grade sister (I think I am not sure how I am doing it just yet)

She will also keep with playing the violin, and do Track w/ the HS group and maybe Latin through a co-op

We are following the AO reading list as well for free reading and books she selects on her own

I would read The Well Trained Mind of course, I also like reading CM books.

I have just finished my first year of homeschool.

My first bit of advice is to start slow. You have Math, great, pick a component of Language Arts, do just that for 2-4 weeks and see what you like/don't like. Get an idea of how just two things work and then add slowly while building yourself up to a full schedule.

Specifically with Singapore Math. Take the placement test and put them 1 level below. If your 4th grader tests at 3B, start him at 3A. Unless they have been doing SM the whole time, it is a hard change to jump into. Let them go quickly and easily through a level, it will give both of you confidence.

With your choices, I'd choose MFW and do Shurley Grammar with both girls, and Singapore is great. (I'd pick grammar in the middle, and do it with both... maybe the 2nd or 3rd grade?)

Start with the "Slow path" maybe a couple weeks ahead... and then slowly add the other subjects.

The MFW is nice because you can do most of the subjects, together. Perfect! Easy does it... especially the first year ;)

see if your local library has Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. In the first few chapters, Duffy really does help explain the various aspects of making a homeschooling decision--do you want "traditional" (textbook-based, like A Beka) curriculum, Charlotte Mason, unit studies, classical homeschooling, or a mixture (like My Father's World)? How do your students tend to learn best? What is most important for you to emphasize in your teaching?

Then Duffy goes through her reviews, starting with a chart that lines the various programs up with how they fit into the framework from her first few chapters and also gives additional information, such as about how much time you can expect them to take per day.

It's really, really useful, and a great starting-off point for homeschooling, much more so than any other book I've read. If your local library has it, it's at least worth checking out.

I have just finished my first year of homeschool.

My first bit of advice is to start slow. You have Math, great, pick a component of Language Arts, do just that for 2-4 weeks and see what you like/don't like. Get an idea of how just two things work and then add slowly while building yourself up to a full schedule.

Specifically with Singapore Math. Take the placement test and put them 1 level below. If your 4th grader tests at 3B, start him at 3A. Unless they have been doing SM the whole time, it is a hard change to jump into. Let them go quickly and easily through a level, it will give both of you confidence.

I agree.

A Beka and MFW are completely different kinds/styles of curriculums. You have to decide what style best fits you and your kids before you can decide what to buy. Please note you can have different styles in different subjects, for different kids, and for different ages. For example, we are not a textbook kind of family. We like lots of rich literature. However, some subjects, like math, I feel I need a textbook. My older son needed textbooks for science in high school, but we still added good books.

Starting out slowly can really help everyone adjust. (And believe me, it is an adjustment. Our oldest came home after 6th grade.) But finding that right style can help.

Placement is key, in any subject, esp if the style of teaching is new (as in Singapore). Great choice, but kids gotta learn how to do that style. Same thing with anything new.

Lastly, be gentle on yourself. You don't have to have "school at home" by bringing the classroom home with you. Take time to figure out what works for you and for your kids. Nearly all of us can tell you we changed our minds a time or two during our hs journey. ;)

Welcome to HS'ing! Enjoy!

I also think you should take a look at Cathy Duffy's Curriculum book that was mentioned earlier, it has great advice!! :001_smile:

As far as Abeka and MFW, you can combine. MFW allows you to use whatever you want for reading, math, or English. You could use Abeka for those subjects and MFW for your history, science, Bible, music and art.:001_smile:

It's very flexible!

Wishing you the best!;)

homemama

Hi All

We r very new to homeschooling and would like help choosing the best curriculums for our 2nd and 4th graders. So far We have looked at the Abeka and My Father's world catalogs. Was wondering if we could combine both.

Need a very good Language Arts, Science, History/Geography Program. We have decided to use Singapore Math. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

K.D

First- what are your goals for this year? Obviously, the curriculum that you choose must work within those goals.

Second- how do you want to teach/ how do you want your school to look? I am talking about methodology. Do you need or want a lot of guidance and scheduling from a curriculum or do you want less structure? Do you want to use textbooks or living books? Do you want to have a Christian, traditional classroom in your home? Abeka is very traditional classroom. Are you drawn toward Charlotte Mason? MFW has a CM bend. So, have you looked at any CM-esque LA programs? It doesn't matter if a product is totally inline with your goals if you don't want to or can't teach from it.

Finally, what is best for your children? What works best for one child may not work at all for another. After you have gathered some choices that cover your goals and that you feel comfortable teaching from, look at them again. You know your child best. Which options feel like they will work for your child?

HTH-

Mandy

I'm going to give you the same advice I gave someone else a few days ago: see if your local library has Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. In the first few chapters, Duffy really does help explain the various aspects of making a homeschooling decision--do you want "traditional" (textbook-based, like A Beka) curriculum, Charlotte Mason, unit studies, classical homeschooling, or a mixture (like My Father's World)? How do your students tend to learn best? What is most important for you to emphasize in your teaching?

:iagree: I wish I'd read it earlier.

One bit of advice. If you look back on this board for plans from which ever grade you are doing (there have been more than one thread for each of K-4 over the years), you will find lists and lists of what people are using. Then google them and look at samples on line, and then come back and ask specific questions, e.g. "will FLL and EFTTC overlap too much?" Or "my child really likes SWR, grammar course is in this style". Etc.

As far as general advice, I can only give what I'm glad I did, and that was to educate myself. I went through SWR and made my own notebook, I got out math books and pretended I was a child and learned with 10-rods and unit cubes, and I also snapped up any texts geared toward 10-15 year olds and read them. As an adult, you can click right through an earth science book for 12 year olds and pick up the nomenclature and theories, the better to be able to use these words in natural conversation with your child (which is IMO THE best way for a young child to learn vocab .... from in-context use.)

HTH