Menu

Gallbladder removal?

What would make this necessary? At what age might it be common?

A relative has recently been diagnosed w/ gall stones (pending a few more tests) & was told that he will probably need his gall bladder removed. It's supposed to be day surgery, not a big deal, but I'm wondering...is this a sign of declining health?

Or is it more like having your tonsils or appendix removed, not really all that related to health, not a big deal, not specifically age-related.

He's been told that until they find the cause, he should stick to a specific diet--no fried or fatty foods, etc. He's finding this...impossible...but...eating... "healthier." :001_huh:

:bigear:

Um, yeah. Pretty much disease of the gallbladder that's not self-limiting. So it would be like tonsils (though you're actually actively using your gallbladder - I just mean scenario for removal). One isolated inflammation, you treat and it goes away. Lots of stones, recurring inflammation/infection, and they take it out.

Or, you can ignore the chronic pain that is making you walk around doubled over (at 38) for months until, finally, the stones/inflammation/etc has caused your gallbladder to develop the internal organ version of gangrene, at which time you have emergency surgery which leaves you draining in the hospital on IV antibiotics for the better part of a week, with a giant, question mark shaped scar. (I worked with someone who took this route. I would recommend the scheduled, laproscopic route)

It's not particularly a sign of overall declining health and isn't really age related, though as we age, "performance degradation" becomes more likely in any of our parts.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Fwiw, this is my little bro. He's 28, & I posted a couple of months ago about how frustrated I am w/ his lifestyle--it's so bad you can almost SEE him dying.

So...while I know nothing about gall bladders, I'm not at all surprised to hear that something in his body is not functioning well. Sympathetic, sure. Just not surprised.

Or is it more like having your tonsils or appendix removed, not really all that related to health, not a big deal, not specifically age-related.

:bigear:

I think it is like that, not really health or age-related.

My BFF had hers out when she was 21, my Mom was 68, and my BIL was 36.

I think it can be a chronic pain that builds up, or it can come on suddenly. My BIL (an M.D.) just had sudden, severe stomach pain during the middle of the night (BIL suspected pancreatitis or appendicitis) so SIL took him to the E.R. and an ultrasound showed his gallbladder was inflamed. When they went in to take it out two days later, it was gangrenous :001_huh:.

The only person I know who had her gallbladder removed was in her early 20's when it was done. She had been ill for several months and tried changing her diet but that didn't help. Once her gallbladder was removed she was fine and hasn't had recurring problems.

I had mine out at age 42. I had been sick for a few weeks and thought I had a stomach bug. Eventually I was unable to eat anything at all without feeling very ill and went to the doctor who diagnosed gall stones. I did not have the usual severe pain that accompanies gall bladder problems, I have never been a fatty, greasy foods eater, and I weighed only 130 lbs at the time of my problems so diet/obesity was not my issue. My mother had her gallbladder out at age 39 and also was not overweight or eating a fatty diet, so for me it was most likely a genetic disposition rather than a sign of declining health or poor lifestyle.

Removing a gall bladder without a change in lifestyle is like getting that gastric bypass surgery and still over-eating. The ultimate answer is to change the lifestyle. I know you know this and I wonder if your brother could be persuaded to this end with some life experiences of others. Said a prayer for him just now. He's awfully young for all this :sad:

ETA: well, after reading the last 2 posts, it looks like I am wrong to broad brush this. . . . but in your brother's case, it might be true according to what you described of his lifestyle. All the best!

Edited by trailofsparks
ETA

My mom just had her gallbladder removed in emergency surgery a few weeks ago. She has been telling us for many, many months that everything hurts her stomach. She tried taking all sorts of antacids and even went to the doctor once and complained of stomach pains. She finally went to the ER in the middle of the night and they found huge gallstones blocking her bile ducts and an extremely inflamed gallbladder. She recovered quickly from the surgery and is slowly starting to eat normally again. She's 69 and otherwise in pretty good health.

sister had it late last year--she is in her mid-late 50s---she was having pain and finally went to dr and they found out her gallbladder was infected and needed to come out......she was off work a week-supposed to be off longer but went back to work earlier than dr wanted because she had a desk job....she had some pain issues if she over-did things but had 3 boys to make sure she didn't lift anything and to help her out with grocery shopping and whatever......

Removing a gall bladder without a change in lifestyle is like getting that gastric bypass surgery and still over-eating. The ultimate answer is to change the lifestyle. I know you know this and I wonder if your brother could be persuaded to this end with some life experiences of others. Said a prayer for him just now. He's awfully young for all this :sad:

ETA: well, after reading the last 2 posts, it looks like I am wrong to broad brush this. . . . but in your brother's case, it might be true according to what you described of his lifestyle. All the best!

No, I don't know this--are you saying it *can* be caused by lifestyle?

He won't even change his diet (much) for the short time until the dr gives him his official test results. Our dad died at 49, his little sister at 48, both due primarily to lifestyle. Maybe "lifestyle" can be "genetic." *sigh* Bro's not someone that can be talked to reasonably.

sister had it late last year--she is in her mid-late 50s---she was having pain and finally went to dr and they found out her gallbladder was infected and needed to come out......she was off work a week-supposed to be off longer but went back to work earlier than dr wanted because she had a desk job....she had some pain issues if she over-did things but had 3 boys to make sure she didn't lift anything and to help her out with grocery shopping and whatever......

Uh-oh. Bro thinks he'll need a day off work & will be able to drive himself home, go to work the next day. :001_huh:

No, I don't know this--are you saying it *can* be caused by lifestyle?

He won't even change his diet (much) for the short time until the dr gives him his official test results. Our dad died at 49, his little sister at 48, both due primarily to lifestyle. Maybe "lifestyle" can be "genetic." *sigh* Bro's not someone that can be talked to reasonably.

Aubrey,

Gall bladder problems most certainly *can* and often *are* related to poor diet, but not always as was the case with me. I didn't read about your brother's earlier issues, but I'm guessing if he is stubborn and chooses not to change his diet after surgery, it will continue to affect his health in other ways down the road.

There are things you can do to help fix a gallbladder problem (apple juice flush for one, and avoiding spicy/greasy foods another). I had acute on-set symptoms after the birth of my 1st child... (losing weight rapidly can cause gall-bladder disease, which apparently was my trigger). I tried #1 and #2, but my 3rd attack I was vomiting and running a fever... meaning an emergency surgery.

According to the surgeon who did mine, there may be a hormonal component (hormones trigger the release of bile to digest fatty foods). That's why women who have just given birth are at risk for gall stones.

I had mine out 9 months after my son was born. I adapted my diet after being diagnosed--actually I barely ate anything the last few months. It had no effect on my attacks. They worsened until I was hospitalized to open the tract a little to let stones out. I had mine out the Monday after that procedure.

No one knows all the possibilities. Like diabetes, there's some thought that the body gets worn out by overuse (bad fatty diet) and some genetic components. There's a lot we don't know.