Menu

math for K

We tried several different math programs with our middle son and the easiest for me was the Math Mammoth that I downloaded. I wouldn't stress too much at that age. If your little one can count and knows what his numbers are, I think you've got it nailed.

Have you pondered Ruth Beechick's methods?

Essentials Math :)

Agree though about not stressing K math. I did NONE with my DS7 even in 1st grade until late in the year. He and I talked about setting the table and how many this and that and the other we need, but dad isn't here so that leaves ?? And that's this many pieces of snack for each of the kids so that's how many altogether. Pairing socks, sorting silverware, etc. Now he is just crazy mathy!

You could just donthe activities in the LHFHG guide and be fine!

How about MEP? You can start with Reception Year and move onto Year 1 when he's ready, or start there if he's familiar with writing numbers. It's free, which is nice, and really challenged my daughter to think in different ways.

:iagree:If you don't want to use RightStart, MEP would be my choice.

McRuffy Color Math K is really nice for K. There are lots of manipulatives and it is a lot of fun for the kids. It takes me about 2 minutes to get out what is needed for the lesson (I get it out when I put it away the day before and while DS is doing his phonics). It is open and go.

We started off using Singapore for K but it didnt work for us. We switched to RightStart Mathematics and we love it! I use Math Mammoth and our Montessori math materials once in awhile when I think DD needs a break from RS.

I hope you find a program that works for you!

I stressed so much over math when my oldest was in Kindergarten. We went through 3 different math programs and there were tears almost daily from both of us. I've learned a lot since then...:D A curriculum is so unneccesary at that age. If you really want the comfort of a curriculum, you might be better off buying 1st grade and taking 2 years to do it. Here's a K typical course of study from world book. I'll bet you're well on your way to meeting this already.

Mathematics

* Simple counting to 20

* One-to-one relationship

* Concepts of more, less than, same

* Sequence of events

* Correspondence of quantities

* Ordinal-cardinal relationship

* Number-numeral relationship

* Recognition of basic sets

* Meaning of addition and subtraction

* Introduction to number line

* Estimation

* Elementary geometry (shapes)

* Calendar and clock

* Denominations of money

* Basic problem-solving strategies

* Basic chart and graph concepts

Good luck!

Oh goodness, lol. I think you've had every suggestion!

What is your DS like?? How does he learn?

DS did not do well with Saxon when we tried it and cried every time we pulled out The singapore earlybird, plus it was horrible to figure out how to teach. We did Rightstart A at a slow pace and he enjoyed it and loves the games. I will probably give Singapore another try next year. I also just bought Math Mammoth and love how it looks.

Oh we also had Miquon for a few weeks and I was as confused as him in that too! :blush:

Wow lots of suggestions!! I'll try and start at the top :tongue_smilie:

We tried several different math programs with our middle son and the easiest for me was the Math Mammoth that I downloaded. I wouldn't stress too much at that age. If your little one can count and knows what his numbers are, I think you've got it nailed.

Have you pondered Ruth Beechick's methods?

Yes, I have her book the three R's and have been teaching DD from that. She wants workbooks though. My son is going to be using singapore 1 A/B this year. She likes to be like her brother:001_smile:.

I plan on sticking with singapore all the way up the grades.

I stressed so much over math when my oldest was in Kindergarten. We went through 3 different math programs and there were tears almost daily from both of us. I've learned a lot since then...:D A curriculum is so unneccesary at that age. If you really want the comfort of a curriculum, you might be better off buying 1st grade and taking 2 years to do it. Here's a K typical course of study from world book. I'll bet you're well on your way to meeting this already.

Mathematics

* Simple counting to 20

* One-to-one relationship

* Concepts of more, less than, same

* Sequence of events

* Correspondence of quantities

* Ordinal-cardinal relationship

* Number-numeral relationship

* Recognition of basic sets

* Meaning of addition and subtraction

* Introduction to number line

* Estimation

* Elementary geometry (shapes)

* Calendar and clock

* Denominations of money

* Basic problem-solving strategies

* Basic chart and graph concepts

Good luck!

I do want the comfort of a cirriculum. I have a very busy toddler in the mix so mom needs structure to make sure everything gets done and stays on track!

McRuffy Color Math K is really nice for K. There are lots of manipulatives and it is a lot of fun for the kids. It takes me about 2 minutes to get out what is needed for the lesson (I get it out when I put it away the day before and while DS is doing his phonics). It is open and go.

:iagree:

We HATED the Singapore EarlyBird books. I have heard that Essentials is better.

We didn't like MUS Primer either.

RightStart A is PHENOMENAL!!! It does take me sitting down and doing every minute WITH them, but truly, I think at this age, any math that is worth much is going to require that.

MEP Reception and Miquon Orange are the other two that get great reviews.