Menu

Does Anyone Use MCT as a Stand Alone...

TheAutumnOak

First off, waving hi wildly. I'm the one from the conference with the two older kids and the baby with me, if you don't remember. My son really loved running around with your sons during the last couple of sessions.

Second, yes, for both DD(11) and DS(9) (the ones who were at the conference), MCT is the only language arts curriculum we are using. The only thing we add is novels, but now that MCT has the literature series, we will really be 100% MCT. As you might have noticed, we are MCT groupies.

For my 6 year-old DS, I think we won't start MCT for at least one more year, more likely two. He is currently about 2/3 of the way through OPGTR, part way through the first year of FLL, and doing Spelling Workout B. Officially, he is going into first grade this year. I think my plan is to do first and second grade all SWB, then switch to MCT in third grade.

After seeing Level 4 at the conference (and after hearing MCT's incredible talks), I'm even more confident about doing all MCT. I was happy to see that Level 4 adds in diagramming, since I don't think the 4-level analysis gets you all the way there. I'm pretty much just loving all things MCT right now.

First off, waving hi wildly. I'm the one from the conference with the two older kids and the baby with me, if you don't remember. My son really loved running around with your sons during the last couple of sessions.

Second, yes, for both DD(11) and DS(9) (the ones who were at the conference), MCT is the only language arts curriculum we are using. The only thing we add is novels, but now that MCT has the literature series, we will really be 100% MCT. As you might have noticed, we are MCT groupies.

For my 6 year-old DS, I think we won't start MCT for at least one more year, more likely two. He is currently about 2/3 of the way through OPGTR, part way through the first year of FLL, and doing Spelling Workout B. Officially, he is going into first grade this year. I think my plan is to do first and second grade all SWB, then switch to MCT in third grade.

After seeing Level 4 at the conference (and after hearing MCT's incredible talks), I'm even more confident about doing all MCT. I was happy to see that Level 4 adds in diagramming, since I don't think the 4-level analysis gets you all the way there. I'm pretty much just loving all things MCT right now.

Sorry to deviate, but you mentioned MTC lit series. Is it published already?

I also want to know how you handle diagramming. SWB recommends it, but MTC does it very differently.

Sorry to deviate, but you mentioned MTC lit series. Is it published already?

I also want to know how you handle diagramming. SWB recommends it, but MTC does it very differently.

He is publishing the literature series in trilogies, and so far the first one is done and available. There is a parent guide, and then his own editions (with annotations) of Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and The Wind in the Willows. The next one planned will have The Time Machine, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and A Christmas Carol.

As for diagramming, I was excited to learn that starting with Level 4, he does introduce traditional diagramming. It's the one thing I wasn't as thrilled with at first. But since Level 4 is around 6th grade, I'm fine with introducing diagramming then.

I think one could assuming that the student is ready for the next level as soon as he/she finishes the previous one. The main issue we're having is that my DD has finished "town" but is not quite ready for the writing in EV. So we're having to find other things in the interim. Right now she's finishing up Killgallon Grammar for Middle School and Figuratively Speaking. Next semester, she'll do Noden's Image Grammar, Paragraph Writing Made Easy, and activities from Bravewriter Writer's Jungle. I've also ordered Walch Prose & Poetry Prose Toolbook for use at some point but I couldn't tell from the preview whether or not it's something she could handle next year.

Hi Jennifer, we chatted some at the conference. My SIL & I are the ones your dd thought were to young to be hsing Moms. :D (I am the one not on crutches)

We too will be using MCT exclusively in the fall. My kids are 10 (5th) and 8 (3rd) & 3. I was truly inspired by MCT this weekend. Last year I had purchased Grammar island and was kind of lost trying to implement it. After hearing him speak I realize that it is because I only had one component and was trying to stretch what should take 4-6 weeks out over the year. After speaking with MCT and pouring over the books I decided on jumping in at Town level. We will be using the 1st set in the literature series too. I'm really looking forward to it!

If you listen to SWB she doesn't have diagraming enter the picture until the middle grades. Like Jennifer said MCT introduces it in his level 4.

Edited by mmasmommy

We are planning on using MCT as our primary language arts curriculum, but will be using some of the Bravewriter materials on the side (just because it looks fun) I am eager to learn more about the literature program, but didn't see much about it on the website. I will watch for more information. :bigear:

I used MCT grammar, poetry and vocab exclusively for my son this year, but we did more writing than just his assignments. Partly because I wanted to work on writing all year, but the way I planned the MCT books, we only worked on Paragraph Town towards the end of the year.

The books are excellent. We've loved them.

Hi Jennifer...I certainly remember you, and my boys loved playing with Ezra!...They kept saying how he is such a nice boy ;)

Anyhow, I put in bold what I am thinking as well...It seems like we have the same plan so far...I was VERY impressed with MCT's talks...I just wondered if anyone else was doing the same...

:iagree: with Crimsonwife. I found that my son wasn't ready to go fully into Town level writing (he had no issues w/ grammar, poetry, vocabulary) so we worked on paragraphs with other programs. He has also done WWE1-4 (well, he's finishing up WWE4 now) and the WWS beta test. I definitely see these as complimentary. HOwever, I will add, it definitely depends on your ability as a teacher to teach/facilitate writing. I found I need more incremental/detailed instruction that what MCT provided in Town level. Also, there is a big gap in maturity/writing expectations from Town level to Voyage level. I know several here needed a gap year between the two. In addition to MCT, we do outlining, rewriting from outlines, and written narrations in history and science.

This is OT but your two little angels were the sweetest things!! So attentive and just cutie pies in general. They just made me smile. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Where do you guys find those icons of rolling around and beating your fists on the floor?

I know, I know, I should just say thank you for the compliment. Just - my kids are SOOOOOOO not angels.

Yeah but isn't it great when they act like it in front of people and give others that impression?? LOL!

Also, there is a big gap in maturity/writing expectations from Town level to Voyage level.

This is exactly the reason why I decided to hold off on Town/Voyage. I plan on having dd11 start this summer (and let it run into the next summer since we school year round). I was going crazy trying to figure out what to do about writing, but I've currently settled on taking an MCT/ Bravewriter approach with some written narrations thrown in for good measure. Wish I'd heard MCT talk though.

...once you start using it?...If you start it in 3rd or 4th grade I would expect that you may do something during 1st and 2nd, but I am wondering if anyone is using it without a supplement of some sort after 3rd grade?

My oldest uses it without supplementation. He's moving onto the 3rd level this fall after closing up some work on Town level this fall. I should say that is our base LA curriculum. But he does quite a bit more writing than the suggested exercises in MCT. He does NaNoWriMo every year and typically does some kind of journalling or book report. Sometimes I build off of MCT exercises.

My youngest will start as a 3rd grader. Both my kids are well ahead of grade level, but my oldest has had such a great experience w/MCT being able to apply concepts immediately being advanced using it that I wanted to do the same for my younger and make sure her writing/spelling skills are really solid. He has been ready for each level of advancement too without supplementation. We are inching are way through FLL 1/2 with my younger (we'll finish early fall on that). Then we might just do things like Mad Libs and journalling to kill time until 3rd grade for her.

...once you start using it?...If you start it in 3rd or 4th grade I would expect that you may do something during 1st and 2nd, but I am wondering if anyone is using it without a supplement of some sort after 3rd grade?

Mildly off-topic Tahara, but (if memory serves) you were part of the thread where Grammar-land by M.L. Nesbitt was mentioned. I am late-to-the party in "discovering" this little gem, but boy is it a fun story from 1878 (if you can believe that).

My son really responds to learning things when the lesson is wrapped inside a funny story, and Grammar-land is right up our alley. So you might consider it as something to use in 1st or 2nd Grade, especially if you have an e-reader (it can be found at Google Books) but you can also find hard-copies.

Play on!

Bill

My oldest uses it without supplementation. He's moving onto the 3rd level this fall after closing up some work on Town level this fall. I should say that is our base LA curriculum. But he does quite a bit more writing than the suggested exercises in MCT. He does NaNoWriMo every year and typically does some kind of journalling or book report. Sometimes I build off of MCT exercises.

My youngest will start as a 3rd grader. Both my kids are well ahead of grade level, but my oldest has had such a great experience w/MCT being able to apply concepts immediately being advanced using it that I wanted to do the same for my younger and make sure her writing/spelling skills are really solid. He has been ready for each level of advancement too without supplementation. We are inching are way through FLL 1/2 with my younger (we'll finish early fall on that). Then we might just do things like Mad Libs and journalling to kill time until 3rd grade for her.

Thanks...I am glad to see it is working out...

Mildly off-topic Tahara, but (if memory serves) you were part of the thread where Grammar-land by M.L. Nesbitt was mentioned. I am late-to-the party in "discovering" this little gem, but boy is it a fun story from 1878 (if you can believe that).

My son really responds to learning things when the lesson is wrapped inside a funny story, and Grammar-land is right up our alley. So you might consider it as something to use in 1st or 2nd Grade, especially if you have an e-reader (it can be found at Google Books) but you can also find hard-copies.

Play on!

Bill

Thanks Bill :)...I was on that thread and will definitely look into finding it, as I have a boy going to first this year...Then I will start him on MCT in 3rd grade...My 5th grader is starting now, and we will move quickly through the beginning...I just want to make sure he doesn't miss anything...

ETA: I just found it on Amazon...It says ages 10 & up...I am wondering if it will be okay if I read it to my 6 year old because the language would probably be too much for him...It is only $9, so I can't go wrong anyhow!

Edited by TheAutumnOak
Something to add

ETA: I just found it on Amazon...It says ages 10 & up...I am wondering if it will be okay if I read it to my 6 year old because the language would probably be too much for him...It is only $9, so I can't go wrong anyhow!

Don't forget it's free on google reader. Both the book and the audio are available online for free. The links were in that other thread...