Menu

Has anyone had problems with universitys...

Thanks, I didn't think there would be any problems. My son was accepted to Our Lady of the Lake University with our transcript. But a mother in our homeschool group has a daughter who applied to Baylor University in Texas and received a letter saying that they would no longer be accepting transcripts from homeschoolers unless the homeschool was an accredited school. But yet, she has an older son who was accepted to Baylor two years ago with a homeschool transcript.

Blessings

Zoraida

Baylor is about the ONLY university in Texas that has a problem with homeschoolers! Most have to transfer in from another 4-year college after their freshman year. There are FEW--very FEW exceptions...

My middle dd--who wants to homeschool again---wants to go to either Baylor or Texas A&M for their pre-med or pre-dental program. Both universites SHARE this program so I will be doing some research in the comming weeks about how to get her in!

Jann

Thanks, I didn't think there would be any problems. My son was accepted to Our Lady of the Lake University with our transcript. But a mother in our homeschool group has a daughter who applied to Baylor University in Texas and received a letter saying that they would no longer be accepting transcripts from homeschoolers unless the homeschool was an accredited school. But yet, she has an older son who was accepted to Baylor two years ago with a homeschool transcript.

Blessings

Zoraida

Baylor has some odd policies, and a history of making things hard for homeschoolers.

Here is an article with background information on Baylor and homeschoolers. It should be noted that most other Texas universities do not interpret the law the way Baylor does.

http://www.baylormag.com/story.php?story=003892

We had no problems at all with private colleges - not even Harvard! (Not bragging, we got an interview but ds didn't make it in LOL). In fact, ds was actively recruited and offered scholarships at colleges he didn't even apply for. He will be attending his first choice college this fall on a Presidential Merit scholarship.

However, our Georgia public colleges are difficult with homeschoolers - the moms I know whose children went to our local public college were asked for all sorts of things (photocopies of the table of contents of ALL books used during high school, for one example). One family I know supplied that requirement and then the college refused to accept one of their history credits, forcing them to do an "acceptable" history this summer to get their dd in. And I'm not talking Ga Tech, here, either......I'm talking a local commuter college. We decided to look elsewhere since other colleges were happy to accept my homeschool transcript.

If you have an idea of colleges you may be interested in, it pays to check their "non-accredited high school" admissions policy early in the high school years just so there will be no unpleasant surprises.

I have a friend that lives in Houston whose daughter had a bit of a problem with U of H. They require the SAT scores to be higher for Homeschoolers than PS students.

She was accepted into the U of H's honors program. They finally managed to get everything straightened out but she was hopping mad when she found out the requirement was different.

She was told by the admissions office that they expected homeschoolers to do better on standardized testing so the requirements were a bit tougher.

She was told by the admissions office that they expected homeschoolers to do better on standardized testing so the requirements were a bit tougher.

Just curious, do they req. the grads of really expensive private schools to score better, too?

As Texans, we're more independent than other home educators," Lambert says.

Isn't that the truth? :)

I've known several homeschoolers go to Baylor, but now that I think about it they probably did dual credit before going so were viewed as transfer students.

Well, Baylor is on our list. First of all, the link is to an article from 2003!!! Plus, the article seems to imply that the main problems were people trying to enroll that were younger than 18..like a 13yo!!! I'll keep checking into this because this may very well be a college for our children since dh and I both went there as well as granparents, aunts and uncles. That said, we have a great 4year Christian college in our town (Letearneau sp?? I always have trouble). He will probably take several dual credit courses there his junior and senior year and so that may take care of if he can handle college level work. I've read several articles in Baylor magazines profiling homeschooling students.

Christine

Here is the link to Baylor's admission for homeschoolers:

http://www.baylor.edu/admissions/index.php?id=28616

Here is a link to their sample transcript that they would accept.

http://www.baylor.edu/admissions/pdf/completehstrans.pdf

The previous problems were in 2003 when they admitted people younger than 17. They needed to have them take the GED to keep their federal funding. Now they clearly state that. Since our child will not be attending until he is at least 18 that shouldn't be a problem.

Christine

To apply to our state uni, we have to include a letter from the school board saying we've "fulfilled the high school requirements" or something like that. I was worried about it until I spoke to guidance. They said, "Oh, that letter. Yes, we've written them before and we'll write one for you when you need it." I should have asked them earlier GRIN. I always forget that they are happy to help us.

It always amazes me how different states are in their desire to help homeschoolers.

When we lived in Massachusetts, ds1 participated in an Odyssey of the Mind team and a play, both through the school system. The school superintendent knew my kids personally and genuinely seemed to care how they fared.

Then we moved to Virginia, where I had to threaten (with HSLDA's help) to sue the school district just so they would offer ds1 an AP exam! Ds1 took two AP exams this year and all went uneventfully, but we were quite nervous about the process.

Some school systems want to help hs'ers, and some don't. I am SO glad you live in a town where the school system is supportive, Nan.

I am in Lewisville ISD in Texas and they are still trying to keep homeschoolers from taking the PSAT and SAT. The college board has contacted them numerous times about it. They also basically refuse admission to the public taxed dollar paid for schools. What they do is say the child has to go back to the last grade completed in a Texas public school school. This means, even if you use an accredited program from another state...like U of Oklahoma or something, they will not take the credit. So lets say you pulled your child out after kindergarten and came back in the 9th grade. They will not say they will not take your child but rather tell you that your child has to go back to the 1st grade. They do offer the option of a so called test. But these tests are barely possible to pass. For example, to test out of 1st grade, each test has minimum of 100 questions. If you have to stop to go to the bathroom or eat or ask a question, the test is terminated immediately with no chance to continue or retake. A 1st grade level math test would have multiple digit division and multiplication. To pass out of 6th grade, I have been told that the history exam has, amongst other things, the homeschoolers draw a map of the world and label everything. You must get 70% correct on the tests, 3 out of 4 of them, or they will not allow your child to go past that grade.

SO, if you were that 14 yr old 9th grader, you would start with taking the 1st grade exams. If you manage to pass them, then you take the 2nd grade exams, and so on. I have heard of 14 yr olds being placed as low as 3rd grade. These are not mentally retarded children. These are kids who typically placed very well on the ITBS. But the district holds out these test results as examples as to why homeschooling is bad. However, they do not require these tests of their own students nor do they disclose what is on the tests. The only reason homeschoolers know a little bit about what is on these tests as we ask the kids when they come out what was on them.