Menu

Indianapolis Children's Museum

We were just there last week and had a blast. We got there when they opened and didn't leave until closing. My mom purchased tickets so I can't help you there.

There is a food court that is actually reasonably priced and is where we had a break/lunch.

The first thing you should do when you get inside is get your free tickets for a planetarium show - but do not see the one on the Hubble telescope because it wasn't very good.

If you want to do the rock climbing it is also free but get your tickets first thing because they don't give out tickets all day.

The girls spent most of their time in the Dinosaur exhibit and it was one of the best we've seen. Have fun!

I miss this place!!! We moved from IN last year and my kids miss this place so much. You know it's like the biggest in the US. It is amazing, you can go every day for a week and still miss stuff. We will visit next month and are already planning on going. My oldest is 14 and she still loves this place. Take alot of pictures, take time to let your kids play everywhere it is just an amzing place.

If you can bring food and eat in the lunch room I think it was called because the foos there is so pricey. There are plaenty of cute little souvenirs in the shop but don't be suprised if you want everything. Just looking around that shop it was like wow, history and science for years. Have a wonderful time and don't go on a weekend.

Go early as in when they open to miss any big daycare type fieldtrips.

I would suggest getting a museum membership near you and add on for the Children's Museum option. I think the cheapest you can get which includes this is $100, or at least that's what it was a few years ago. This will allow you to visit an unlimited number of time and will give you science museums as well. :)

I don't know a way to get cheap tickets but it's worth the price! This is a fantastic museum. You won't be able to enjoy it all in one visit--so just enjoy what they seem to gravitate toward would be my advice. I think the don't miss would vary by child. I know one kid's "don't miss" here is different than the other's.

You might look and see if a free day is coming up. We just live 45min away and I try and go there on those days, it's worth it. I used to go for free because we were on medicaid and everyone with a medicaid card gets in free or a food stamp card. It was nice.

Here's a giveaway for tickets that I found via google: http://ingoodcents.com/2011/06/childrens-museum.html

Some employers offer discounted tickets to the Children's Museum and other attractions.

Would AAA have discounted tickets?

Sometimes their facebook & website have coupons, although I doubt they would offer much during height of tourist season.

You might check a hotel package or Indy getaway package. Here's one place that has a discount: http://www.in.gov/visitindiana/tripplanner/discounts.aspx You might check the indiana tourism website or indy visitor's & convention bureau, too.

They have lockers if you want to bring your own food and eat in the food court. $1 max for the locker, but you'd have to pay each time you open it. The food court does offer a pizza deal (large pizza w/ 4 drinks) for $20-$25 which isn't too bad.

All the exhibits are good - although I heard the Dora/Diego exhibit isn't as cool as the permanent exhibits. The Power of Children exhibit is geared towards older kids, so you may want to put that lower on your to-do list. The Egypt exhibit is good for many different ages. Little ones (5 and younger) always love Playscape and the play area behind the Carousel. Scienceworks and the Dinosaur exhibits are fun too for middle age kids.

You may want to buy your tickets online. The line to buy tickets *can* be long and take a long time to get through.

Have a good time & take your time to explore! Enjoy!!!

Also check out if they are doing a play. We've seen two really good plays there. You have to get separate tickets for the plays and the planetarium show. I don't remember if they actually cost anything more or if they require tickets just so that they aren't mobbed. They used to have the Sky over Mr Roger's Neighborhood in the planetarium for young kids.

AWESOME museum! I grew up in Indy, and we went all the time as a kid. When I lived there with mine, we would get memberships to the Museum and the Zoo as Christmas gifts, and we went one year to the museum at least once a week. It was SO much fun! I don't know about getting tickets for a discount (you might check some of the local hotel packages), but whatever you pay, it's WELL worth the cost. Other cities from around the world send representatives to Indy to study the Children's Museum when they're designing they're own... it's that good! :)

ETA: I think the free days are the second Tuesday of every month, from like 4-8 pm or something like that. Definitely check them out, but know they're wicked crowded during those times.

I would suggest getting a museum membership near you and add on for the Children's Museum option. I think the cheapest you can get which includes this is $100' date=' or at least that's what it was a few years ago. This will allow you to visit an unlimited number of time and will give you science museums as well. :)[/quote']

This is a great idea for most museums. We use our membership a lot at other museums. HOWEVER... I just checked our reciprocity list and the Indianapolis Children's Museum is not on the list. Just make sure it is on the reciprocity list for the membership you get.

I agree with everyone else--definitely worth paying full price for, even if you can't find discount tickets. And I'd stay away from the free admission days, just because I don't find anything as enjoyable when it is super crowded.

We travel to IN every summer to visit family, and the Children's Museum is always on our agenda. We arrive at opening and stay till it closes and still never manage to see everything. All of my kids love it and look forward to going back.

This is a great idea for most museums. We use our membership a lot at other museums. HOWEVER... I just checked our reciprocity list and the Indianapolis Children's Museum is not on the list. Just make sure it is on the reciprocity list for the membership you get.

Thank you for checking that! It seems that there's been a lot of cut backs on the reciprocity of different memberships. It might be worth getting a membership to the Indy museum as it covers a lot of the extras that are available, and then it can be used at their hometown museums. Again, it would be good to check the reciprocity there first too. A family membership at Indy is $125 according to their site. And that museum is phenomenal.