Menu

Cant I just do it all??

kwickimom

Pretty please? I have HOD, I totally love it and want to do it. I also have all the Apologia books, SOTW, FLL, WWE, WWW3, vocab cartoons, Killgallon, BF geography, and MORE. Writing With Skill looks AMAZING, which means I HAVE to keep up with WWE if I want to do it next year.

I want to do WTM (even the stuff we had issues with because I know the end result will be amazing)

I want to do CM and thus my love of HOD

I want to do all of the Apologia books

I want to do all the Elemental Science and oh yeah, now the History

I want to 30 writing programs and 20 Math programs

OK, I have 3 kids....should I just pray one fits CM style and one fits WTM style and one is a mix? :lol:

Seriously thinking of having more children just so I can do more HS'ing programs. And I am not just thinking the grass is greener, I know SO MUCH of the grass is green as many of these programs look as good as the next.

I know that I just need to pick a program and go with it, I know all the logic and I have read most of the books. I just really like so many programs....so.many.programs :D

*This was just a ramble, not needing advice, maybe needing someone to smack me upside the head or take away my internet* Love this board. Hate this board. :D

Glad it's not just me!

I keep trying to find different ways to fit ALL of the following in:

Leading Little Ones to God

OPGTR

Explode the Code

Handwriting without Tears

RightStart Math

MEP Reception

Miquon Orange

Beautiful Feet Early American History

PLUS: Sonlight P4/5

HOD Little Hearts for His Glory

Memoria Press Kindergarten

Five in a Row

and everything in Core Knowledge that hasn't been covered by something else

Oh, and Classical Conversations and ad hoc science stuff related to that.

I know. It's ridiculous. I kept finding more things I just HAD to do with them, and now I have more than I could possibly ever do. I'm hoping it's a newbie mistake and I won't do this every year!!

I understand completely. I wrote a similar post a month ago. And I only have one child to "play" with!

I figured out that we can incorporate multiple programs for one subject if we rotate the days and keep lessons short. I am liking this system.

Glad it's not just me!

OPGTR

Explode the Code

RightStart Math

MEP Reception

Miquon Orange

Five in a Row

I know. It's ridiculous. I kept finding more things I just HAD to do with them, and now I have more than I could possibly ever do. I'm hoping it's a newbie mistake and I won't do this every year!!

Uh no! It's not a newbie mistake, it's called research. When I started hsing I used SL and their recommendations. I was happy. Stepdd was well educated. I stayed off the internet and all was well. I was even able to go to conventions with blinders on.

When ds started K and hated SL I started researching and found a whole world of curricula. It all looks wonderful and all has different strengths. I now want to use everything and have used a lot. Some I regret and some I left but still incorporate the best of into what I do now. We grow as teachers and much of that growth comes from experience with various methods of teaching.

That said, I sometimes wish there was still only SL. I would have learned to adapt and life would be more simple. My brain would be less frazzled and stressed. But, I would need a different hobby!

Edited by mothergooseofthree

You are not along. There are so many great choices. I have several grammar and writing curriculums I want to use in the future. I plan to figure out how to use several of them. I am currently using OPGTR, ETC and PP for phonics. So I know if I am combining curriculum for a future 1st grader, I know it will be done in the future.

I love both CM and WTM. Have thought of doing WTM for the 3R's and as your spine for history and science and adding living books for history, science, music, art, etc.

I understand completely. I wrote a similar post a month ago. And I only have one child to "play" with!

I figured out that we can incorporate multiple programs for one subject if we rotate the days and keep lessons short. I am liking this system.

Angela- I read your post and follow your blog and am always wowed at all you guys incorporate. I always just dream about it and never actually DO it :D

Glad it's not just me!

OPGTR

Explode the Code

RightStart Math

MEP Reception

Miquon Orange

Five in a Row

I forgot about ETC and FIAR. SIGH. I am glad to see your list is as long as mine. Maybe we need a support group :D

I didn't mention

- "Morning Meeting" (calendar, weather, memory work, etc) - you can't imagine the quantity of STUFF I bought for this!!!

- Draw Write Now

- Spanish

- Music for Little Mozarts AND Suzuki Piano

- Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

- Lollipop Logic

Oh, and about 14 books covering other stuff like manners and life skills like cooking & cleaning.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head. I need serious help. It's to the point that I actually hide the boxes, and then sneak them out on trash day so that my husband doesn't see. Some women collect shoes. I collect homeschool materials. Yes, I have a problem...

Pretty please? I have HOD, I totally love it and want to do it. I also have all the Apologia books, SOTW, FLL, WWE, WWW3, vocab cartoons, Killgallon, BF geography, and MORE. Writing With Skill looks AMAZING, which means I HAVE to keep up with WWE if I want to do it next year.

I want to do WTM (even the stuff we had issues with because I know the end result will be amazing)

OK, I have 3 kids....should I just pray one fits CM style and one fits WTM style and one is a mix? :lol:

You can do it all. And I'm sure you'll have a great year. But what will your kids be doing while you're busy doing all that schoolwork? ;)

I have become addicted to Evan Moore's stuff....Word A day, Vocab etc.

I just got my OPGTTR in the mail......*swoon* I hope DD loves it just as much.

FLL is next.....

I love the look of CLE math.

WWS

ALL

This is DD first year in the Logic stage...I haven't look at anything for Logic yet.

then there is my book addiction. My amazon Wish list is HUGE and they are children's books.

Oh and history encyclopedia's.....I just bought the White KF. I think Im going to use that as our History spine. Im on the hunt for one that is specific for US History. I will have an excuse to buy some of those books on the girls wish list's!

Well, maybe not just you can do it all, maybe you and a spare mommy kept in a closet (I promise your husband will love the idea). Though where you'd find the closet space I can't fathom-do you seriously actually own all that curricula?

Seriously thinking of having more children just so I can do more HS'ing programs. And I am not just thinking the grass is greener, I know SO MUCH of the grass is green as many of these programs look as good as the next.

I know that I just need to pick a program and go with it, I know all the logic and I have read most of the books. I just really like so many programs....so.many.programs :D

*This was just a ramble, not needing advice, maybe needing someone to smack me upside the head or take away my internet* Love this board. Hate this board. :D

I too suffer from this. I'm strong enough not to buy stuff but I think researching curriculum has become my hobby.

I also want to do it all and feel like researching curriculum has been my hobby. I've spent the last three nights on the computer instead of watching the Netflix movie I meant to watch. Unfortunately I haven't been as good about NOT buying the stuff. I went to a homeschooler's garage sale today and couldn't help coming home with about 20 books. :001_huh: Fortunately it only cost $15 and one of the books was an apologia book and others were future HOD books. :lol: I also want to do it all. I love HOD, PR, TOG, and WTM. I have my choices down for K in the fall, but have no idea how I'll ever make a decision for 1st grade (TOG/Ancients/SOTW or HOD; HOD LA or PR????).

WERD.

:lol::lol:

We are so very eclectic, lol. I have so many things that are AWESOME that I need more days in the week!

I started to type out a list but it got too long & I got bored & overwhelmed, lol. It's my siggy plus about the same amount or more that I dabble in or want to add or plan to add in soon.

And can I just tell you that it doesn't get any better with time? I'm looking at 3rd grade with my last of 6 kids -- I've graduated 3 already and I should know better. This is what I WANT to do with him:

Sonlight 2 plus listen to History from SL 7, which includes SOTW 3&4

MFW Cultures (teach at co-op)

The culture guide from confessions of a homeschooler blog

Those are for sure -- but I own all this, too, and want to get it all in one more time -- one last time --

Five in a Row (he's done some of these, but I want to do them all again!)

Galloping the Globe (own this)

And yet HOD Preparing JUST CALLS SO SWEETLY TO ME . . .

And I have not even told you about the LA stuff (mega) or the Chemistry stuff he wants to do (guesthollow website -- mega).

Or the Apologia botany and astronomy HE wants . . .

Or the Sonlight 3 science kit he wants (I don't think I'm buying this) . . .

Or the logic books he wants . . .

Or the 5000 Lego sets he doesn't own but thinks he's entitled to just because he exists . . .

And oh yeah, that Amazon cart.

And can I say just one more time that the HOD Preparing is JUST SINGING SWEET TUNES TO ME? . . .

sigh. But it's a blissful thing, too, isn't it? I mean, I was born for this homeschooling thing! :tongue_smilie:

Yep. I too have been cursed with loving too many curricula. I want to do MCT and AG for grammar

MCT, Bravewriter, Kilgallon, and WWE for writing (and maybe IEW)

HO, OM, and SL for history

OM, Dr. Dave, and some other RFWP supplements for science

TT, MM, Key to..., SCM, and... something not yet found for math

LL and Ecce Romani for Latin

MCT and DL for vocabulary

Beautiful Feet geography and History of the Horse

K12 lit, and I'm excited to see MCT's lit. too

those History of Art currics. from Calvert

... and that's just one child

*sigh*

On the bright/dark side, I am blessed/cursed with children who need different curricula/styles in many areas.

Well, maybe not just you can do it all, maybe you and a spare mommy kept in a closet (I promise your husband will love the idea). Though where you'd find the closet space I can't fathom-do you seriously actually own all that curricula?

umm, yes I own all that curricula :001_huh::glare::blush::o

some will be coming to a sale board near you :D

And can I just tell you that it doesn't get any better with time? I'm looking at 3rd grade with my last of 6 kids -- I've graduated 3 already and I should know better. This is what I WANT to do with him:

Sonlight 2 plus listen to History from SL 7, which includes SOTW 3&4

MFW Cultures (teach at co-op)

The culture guide from confessions of a homeschooler blog

Those are for sure -- but I own all this, too, and want to get it all in one more time -- one last time --

Five in a Row (he's done some of these, but I want to do them all again!)

Galloping the Globe (own this)

And yet HOD Preparing JUST CALLS SO SWEETLY TO ME . . .

And I have not even told you about the LA stuff (mega) or the Chemistry stuff he wants to do (guesthollow website -- mega).

Or the Apologia botany and astronomy HE wants . . .

Or the Sonlight 3 science kit he wants (I don't think I'm buying this) . . .

Or the logic books he wants . . .

Or the 5000 Lego sets he doesn't own but thinks he's entitled to just because he exists . . .

And oh yeah, that Amazon cart.

And can I say just one more time that the HOD Preparing is JUST SINGING SWEET TUNES TO ME? . . .

sigh. But it's a blissful thing, too, isn't it? I mean, I was born for this homeschooling thing! :tongue_smilie:

I bought Preparing. I love Preparing, why can I not just sell off all the other stuff :willy_nilly:

I bought Preparing. I love Preparing, why can I not just sell off all the other stuff :willy_nilly:

If you like Preparing, get rid of the rest...

In some ways I am a one trick pony...I just want to do one trick well...I am having this problem now when it comes to language arts...I went to Valley Forge and fell in love with MCT...I was planning to do Rod & Staff...I wandered around the conference confused about what I should do...Should I try and do both?...In the end, I decided not to do both...

There are so many great curricula and books out there and we want to do all of them :)...But multiple curricula for the same topic IMO (in my opinion) is usually not necessary and just adds to the stress of what has to get done in a day, week, year...Or you end up leaving stuff undone, not accomplishing what was intended when the program was designed...

My advice is not popular at all, I know this...But I would decide which one I like the most, which one will come the closest to accomplishing what I want accomplished (because nothing is perfect) and do that one well...Later for the rest of the stuff...

Well, I like to buy History curriculum. Have bought TRISMs, TOG, SL, History Odysseyall for the same time period. I just couldn't decide so I looked at all. Should have gone to a book fair:D This year I'm restraining my self and only getting one--biblioplan. Err, I also bought Guides to History Plus as a supplement.:blush:

I have found that when you try to incorporate so many things. You get burned out faster. Or you find that you really prefer one source over another. Pick a couple of things and do those very well and leave the rest. Maybe go through your choices and seperate into must have and then like but not a must have. You can't do it all. Trust me I am guilty of this I over purchased last year. I purchased three math curriculums, two science curriculums plus various supplemental items for each topic. Thinking I would use each and it did not work that way. Then I overpurchased agian this year but not as bad perhaps each year gets better. Good luck whatever you decide. Keep in mind that in the early years a lot of concepts are repeated so you could try one source this year and then another next time around. Remember this is just advice you ultimately have to look at your situation and decide.

I have found that when you try to incorporate so many things. You get burned out faster. Or you find that you really prefer one source over another. Pick a couple of things and do those very well and leave the rest. Maybe go through your choices and seperate into must have and then like but not a must have. You can't do it all. Trust me I am guilty of this I over purchased last year. I purchased three math curriculums, two science curriculums plus various supplemental items for each topic. Thinking I would use each and it did not work that way. Then I overpurchased agian this year but not as bad perhaps each year gets better. Good luck whatever you decide. Keep in mind that in the early years a lot of concepts are repeated so you could try one source this year and then another next time around. Remember this is just advice you ultimately have to look at your situation and decide.

I think a lot of it for me is that there is a lot of good stuff out there and I just love curriculum :-)

I am doing Preparing and adding just a *few* things since it is a 4 day program. I just like SO much.

I think a lot of it for me is that there is a lot of good stuff out there and I just love curriculum :-)

I am doing Preparing and adding just a *few* things since it is a 4 day program. I just like SO much.

I used to feel the same way. I had shelves of SL books in pristine condition that I could not part with. I had Trail Guide to Learning, Winter Promise and TOG and I sold them ALL so I could buy HOD and I am so glad I did. I realized that I had all those books and different curriculum because *I* liked them and *I* wanted them and my dc could care less. I just started using Preparing with my dd and CtC with my ds and they both actually said they had FUN! My dd even got out the Preparing Guide today and asked if she could get started!

I think if you find something that you are capable of teaching and your dc enjoy it and are learning, then ditch the rest cuz all "the rest" is just a temptation and a hinderance and causes doubt. I feel so GOOD and so FREE right now because I know what we are doing each day and I no longer have to make choices! :001_smile:

That may not be your case, you might be fine with lots of choices, but it's drives me batty! :)