Menu

Tdap? Anyone had one lately?

I was cleaning the shower Saturday morning and in the process cut my arm on the corner of the shower door while trying to rinse it:glare:. Of course I hadn't had a tetanus booster in over 20 years and when I had it looked at they recommended one. Well, today is day 6 and my arm still has a knot from the shot. Is this normal, this far out? My hand has been hurting today(same arm as shot and cut) and just noticed that it is a little swollen. Could this be related to the shot?

I had one in March. Didn't even have the expected tetanus shot stiffness in the muscle in the next days.

I'd probably call someone about that. It may just be how the shot was administered (nicked a vessel, made a deep bruise), could be a secondary infection (that seems really unlikely), could be a reaction. It's hard to say.

I had one a few months ago along with the pertussis vaccine and it hurt for a long time, I had a big knot, and it was even making my fingers in that arm tingle. I think it can be normal. I don't know which shot was the most responsible. I used to get big knots when I had shots as a child too.

I had one a few months ago along with the pertussis vaccine and it hurt for a long time, I had a big knot, and it was even making my fingers in that arm tingle. I think it can be normal. I don't know which shot was the most responsible. I used to get big knots when I had shots as a child too.

Did your hand or fingers swell?

Two of my kids had one this year: One had lots of swelling and her arm hurt quite a bit. Her brother wasn't affected by his at all.

After having this shot I feel for kids getting vaccines! The swelling is normal, but I am surprised after almost a week that it is still swollen. Of course this happens after all the talks on the forums over the last few weeks on tetanus vaccines!:tongue_smilie:

After having this shot I feel for kids getting vaccines! The swelling is normal, but I am surprised after almost a week that it is still swollen. Of course this happens after all the talks on the forums over the last few weeks on tetanus vaccines!:tongue_smilie:

I would get it checked or at least call and talk with a nurse. Set your mind at ease, it can't hurt.

I was cleaning the shower Saturday morning and in the process cut my arm on the corner of the shower door while trying to rinse it:glare:. Of course I hadn't had a tetanus booster in over 20 years and when I had it looked at they recommended one. Well, today is day 6 and my arm still has a knot from the shot. Is this normal, this far out? My hand has been hurting today(same arm as shot and cut) and just noticed that it is a little swollen. Could this be related to the shot?

Yes, that is the immune reaction. It's exactly what you want to happen. The knot can last for weeks. Tetanus shots are notorious for leaving you with a sore arm for a few days as well. Again....perfectly normal reaction.

I happen to have the VIS statement for this vaccine handy. Your doctor was required by law to provide it to you at the time of vaccination. I had to ask for mine. Here are the side effects listed:

Mild Problems (noticeable but did not interfere with activities):

Pain

Redness or swelling

Mild fever of at least 100.4

Headache

Tiredness

Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache

Chills, body aches, sore joints, rash, swollen glands

Moderate Problems (interferred with activities but did not require medical attention):

Pain at injection site

Redness or swelling

Fever over 102

Headache

Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache

Extensive swelling of arm where the shot was given (up to 3 out of 100)

Severe Problems (unable to perform usual activities, required medical attention):

Two adults had nervous system problems that went away on their own without permanent harm

Swelling, severe pain, and redness in arm where the shot was given

Call doctor or get to medical attention immediately if signs of allergic reaction including high fever or behavior changes, difficulty breathing, hoarseness or wheezing, hives, paleness, weakness, fast heart beat, or dizziness.

My kids got the Td an Dt shots. We were told that the more they moved the arm the less pain they would have.

Edited by joannqn

My son had one after an accident recently and he did have significant swelling--knot like--at the site. He also had a rash there. Anyway, I sent pictures and description to a pediatrician relative and he told me the medical name for the reaction. I can't remember it now of course. But it was an immune over-response type thing if I recall.

I'd probably have it looked at anyway.