Menu

Teacher Says Not All "Sex With Student" Stories Should Be Treated Equally

I am specifically talking about a case like this-where the hypothetical woman would be a teacher and the hypothetical 18 year old is a student.

I expect women to have more self control than men. If they don't have it, then they don't belong in charge of a classroom full of their sex partner's peers. That is wrong.

Gotcha! ;);)

Did he know for sure she was a student?

I wondered that too. I'm being lazy and don't want to go back to check if the story says.

Girls that age have the annoying habit of lying about their age.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas Educator Code of Ethics says, "the educator shall not solicit or engage in sexual conduct or a romantic relationship with a student." If you want to have sex with 18 year old high school students, then don't be a teacher. It seems pretty cut and dry to me.

:iagree:

...he knew the Code, or at least personally responsible to know it.

OR... "Forget the Code, they're more like guidelines anyway!" sorry, couldn't resist.

Edited by Geo

Did you read the other thread that explained if you are over 21 in many states you are committing a felony if you have sex with an underage girl? Men should know about their sex partners if they don't want to wind up in jail.

No, I didn't read it, but she was not underage...

Out of curiousity, would you feel the same if it were a 50 year old woman and an 18 year old man?

I would "feel" the same. It is equally creepy... perhaps even moreso because we expect women to be maternal.

My parents are both in their 50's and our teenaged kids have 18 year old friends. If either of my parents (they are both unmarried) had a sexual relationship with an 18 year old I would urge them to get some counseling. Their lack of judgement would make me remove them from opportunities to be in direct authority over my children... if it were more or less a stranger (i.e. public school teacher) I would feel that way a thousandfold!!!

Did you read the other thread that explained if you are over 21 in many states you are committing a felony if you have sex with an underage girl? Men should know about their sex partners if they don't want to wind up in jail.

Neither of these people were underage. Those laws don't apply to this specific case.

That said, if I were a man I'd be asking to see some ID. Girls can be 13 and look 21. And will lie in a heartbeat about their age.

Did he know for sure she was a student?

Considering his job was on the line, perhaps he should have kept his pants zipped until he found out.

There's simply no excuse. Contract says, no student. Period. He violated this. He loses his job.

I really don't understand where the confusion comes in.

Mrs. Mungo, I think your statement of expecting more from a woman is sexist, sorry. I don't think there should be any difference in expectation of appropriate conduct, regardless of gender. Men are as capable of self control as women.

Gotcha! ;);)

I wondered that too. I'm being lazy and don't want to go back to check if the story says.

Girls that age have the annoying habit of lying about their age.

Which is a really good reason not to have sex with them.

No, I didn't read it, but she was not underage...

I realize that, but she was off limits to him for another reason. He is WAY too old for the "I didn't know" defense. If you don't know a young girl's age or status, you had better keep away to keep yourself out of jail.

Eta: Imp, I realized some would feel that way when I said it. But, my life experience tells me what *should* be the case isn't always. I think it for cultural reasons, not biological ones.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I would "feel" the same. It is equally creepy... perhaps even moreso because we expect women to be maternal.

My parents are both in their 50's and our teenaged kids have 18 year old friends. If either of my parents (they are both unmarried) had a sexual relationship with an 18 year old I would urge them to get some counseling. Their lack of judgement would make me remove them from opportunities to be in direct authority over my children... if it were more or less a stranger (i.e. public school teacher) I would feel that way a thousandfold!!!

Oh, so you do take issue with the age span.

Which is a really good reason not to have sex with them.

I realize that, but she was off limits to him for another reason. He is WAY too old for the "I didn't know" defense. If you don't know a young girls age or status, you had better keep away to keep yourself out of jail.

And he works with them every day. He ought to know better than anyone what teens will do to get what they are after.

Oh, well, I was confused when you asked about yourself and your teen son's friend and mentioned the 18 year age gap you share. I'm sure you can see how one would think you were speaking of age span.

As for this particular teacher, I'll say it for a third time, no I don't agree that he has the right to whine about loosing his job. He broke the rule he suffers the consequences.

Sorry, no. I meant that as a 36 year old woman I would hope everyone here would find it immoral and "creepy" if I were to sleep with an 18 year old "man". I would fully expect outrage from my own personal circle of influence. Being a legal adult does not give you the wisdom of life experience and I expect more out of the mature adults in my life. He seems to be not only lacking remorse but actually justifying his absurd behavior! I find that reprehensible.

For those of you that believe he should not have his teaching credentials revoked, would you feel the same way if it were your 18 year old daughter/son?

Yes. My dd will be 18 next year. If she sought out a teacher in another district and initiated sex with him ... well, she would be an adult and entitled to make that choice. Whether I would like it has nothing to do with it. I don't see it as unethical for a teacher to have sex with "a student" (legal adult) over whom he or she holds no position of authority.

College profs aren't supposed to have sex with (their) students. Would anyone get all het up if a college prof slept with a 19 year old student at another college?

Is it only because this girl was still in high school and people feel like she's "still a child"? We've got to let adults make their own decisions. Eighteen is an adult.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

Sorry, no. I meant that as a 36 year old woman I would hope everyone here would find it immoral and "creepy" if I were to sleep with an 18 year old "man". I would fully expect outrage from my own personal circle of influence. Being a legal adult does not give you the wisdom of life experience and I expect more out of the mature adults in my life. He seems to be not only lacking remorse but actually justifying his absurd behavior! I find that reprehensible.

I suppose my life experience has been different enough from yours that I would not find it creepy or weird. I've actually met over the years and know several couples with May/December romances and find it fairly normal. I'm actually a number of years older than dh.

Texas Educator Code of Ethics says, "the educator shall not solicit or engage in sexual conduct or a romantic relationship with a student." If you want to have sex with 18 year old high school students, then don't be a teacher. It seems pretty cut and dry to me.

I have a license from the state of Texas that has specific laws attached to it regarding sex with clients. There are reasons behind it. If I violate the law, I lose my license. As I should.

There is no "true love clause."

This teacher was significantly older than a high school *student* and had sex. Not appropriate. No gray zone, no mitigating circumstances.

Yes. My dd will be 18 next year. If she sought out a teacher in another district and initiated sex with him ... well, she would be an adult and entitled to make that choice. Whether I would like it has nothing to do with it. I don't see it as unethical for a teacher to have sex with "a student" over whom he or she holds no position of authority.

College profs aren't supposed to have sex with (their) students. Would anyone get all het up if a college prof slept with a 19 year old student at another college?

Is it only because this girl was still in high school and people feel like she's "still a child"? We've got to let adults make their own decisions. Eighteen is an adult.Tara

The role of high school teacher in the life of students has inherent power and influence. Honoring that role = not sleeping with high school students.

He is not a predator and she is not a child. This was two consenting adults.

Tara

He was in clear violation of his employment contract.

He doesn't get to whine about getting fired b/c he couldn't keep his pants zipped. As I tell my kids, you make your choices, you also choose the consequences.

For the record I am 17 years younger than dh but was 30 when we met. This man was in a position of trust over a young adult. He is a jerk and I still want my darn sit down with him.

He definitely wins the dumbass award, that's the truth. Tru Wove could have waited a bit.

The role of high school teacher in the life of students has inherent power and influence. Honoring that role = not sleeping with high school students.

I agree, but want to emphasize that it is a clear requirement for continued employment as a teacher in Texas. He doesn't have to teach in Texas if he has a problem with it.

I have a license from the state of Texas that has specific laws attached to it regarding sex with clients. There are reasons behind it. If I violate the law, I lose my license. As I should.

This teacher was significantly older than a high school *student* and had sex. Not appropriate. No gray zone, no mitigating circumstances.

This thread has moved so fast ya'll missed my funny. So, I'll just post it again

because I'm not often funny and don't want to waste it. FTR, I agree with Joanne, Mrs. Mungo, Elizabeth and Parrothead!

"Forget the Code, they're more like guidelines anyway!" argh

Well with that line of thinking, seeing that YOU are your daughter's educator, your daughter will have a plethora of 50+ year old men to choose from in just four short years!

:chillpill:

A bit out of bounds, TarponGirl.

Im sorry if I can't feel outrage for what two consenting adults did. That does not mean I don't find it distasteful, nor does it mean I'd be happy if it were my dd (for many reasons).

Lisa

He is not a predator and she is not a child. This was two consenting adults.

Tara

I suppose my life experience has been different enough from yours that I would not find it creepy or weird. I've actually met over the years and know several couples with May/December romances and find it fairly normal. I'm actually a number of years older than dh.

Like I said, you cannot legislate morality. If this high school senior had turned 18 that day, there would only be a few short hours difference between "consenting adult" and "illegal". 3 hours or 364 days, she is light years away in emotional maturity from a 50 year old man. Shame on him. Being that it was legal, there isn't much to be done... but the idea of this loser being in charge of more 15 - 18 year old girls sends chills up this Mama's spine.

Parrothead, please, it is not the age SPAN it is the age of each party. I would feel predatory about sleeping with a 18 year old man child... I would think nothing of age if the man were 58. At 36 I know better. He should have done the right thing regardless of legalities. Period. The end.

This thread has moved so fast ya'll missed my funny. So, I'll just post it again

because I'm not often funny and don't want to waste it. FTR, I agree with Joanne, Mrs. Mungo, Elizabeth and Parrothead!

"Forget the Code, they're more like guidelines anyway!" argh

:lol: List this under "reasons you should not get your preferred career of pirate confused with your real career of public school teacher." :P

If his contract defines student as any student enrolled in a public/nonpublic grammar or secondary school, then yes, he was, and he should suffer the consequences. BUT having sex with a legal adult does not make him a "creepy predator." It makes him an adult who had sex with another adult when he shouldn't have, and people do that every.single.day.

The role of high school teacher in the life of students has inherent power and influence.

Not buying it. I don't mean to be flip, but I was a high school student myself at one point in time and I was not in doe-eyed awe of teachers. I didn't particularly give a rat's @ss (as my dad would say) if someone was a teacher or not if they weren't my teacher.

This whole assigning victim status to young women for making sexual decisions we don't like really bothers me. I find it sexist. Actually, I find the whole, "My 18 year should live under my thumb because s/he's still a child" thing bothersome.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

He doesn't get to whine about getting fired b/c he couldn't keep his pants zipped. As I tell my kids, you make your choices, you also choose the consequences.

FTR, I totally agree with this; from a purely contractual standpoint, it seems quite clear that he was in breach of hs contract. The other, moral issues are a bit more muddled.

Lisa

Like I said, you cannot legislate morality. If this high school senior had turned 18 that day, there would only be a few short hours difference between "consenting adult" and "illegal". 3 hours or 364 days, she is light years away in emotional maturity from a 50 year old man. Shame on him. Being that it was legal, there isn't much to be done... but the idea of this loser being in charge of more 15 - 18 year old girls sends chills up this Mama's spine.

Parrothead, please, it is not the age SPAN it is the age of each party. I would feel predatory about sleeping with a 18 year old man child... I would think nothing of age if the man were 58. At 36 I know better. He should have done the right thing regardless of legalities. Period. The end.

So where is your outrage for the little seductress?

When did this incident happen? Is school out in Texas? Is she still a student?

Just things I'm wondering.

The article said the encounters happened on winter break during the 2007-2008 school year. So, we can safely assume she is no longer a high school student.

I have a friend who lost her virginity at 12. She says she wanted it, that she practically attacked the guy (who was an adult). I think a normal guy would have kept his hands off a 12 year old, no matter what she said or did.

Older people in positions of authority should have more control than that.

Oh, I see what you are saying. I get that. Although I can't say I'd feel the same way. As long as both parties are telling the truth about their age and it is consensual I don't have a problem with an 18-year old (male or female) having a relationship (however brief) with a person 20+ years their senior. I feel an 18-year old is old enough to make that decision on his/her own.

And that is where we will have to agree to disagree.

Out of curiousity, would you feel the same if it were a 50 year old woman and an 18 year old man?

If it were an educator I'd feel the same. I admit to bias because my brother's English teacher seduced him when he was 17 and no one thought it was a problem. It was - trust me. It messed up his head. The whole thing disgusts me on many levels. Yes, my husband is fifteen years my senior. I was twenty nine when we got married. I was twenty seven when we met. The age gap isn't an issue IMO after 21.

If you are a teacher you don't sleep with a student - IMO. If he wants to sleep with a student he needs to A: Wait til she graduates or B: Go to work in a state that doesn't have that stipulation. He's fifty. He needs to control himself. He broke his contract. He's fired. Go to another state and get a job.

:chillpill:

A bit out of bounds, TarponGirl.

Im sorry if I can't feel outrage for what two consenting adults did. That does not mean I don't find it distasteful, nor does it mean I'd be happy if it were my dd (for many reasons).

Lisa

Lisa, I didn't mean to insult you and I apologize. Frankly, as you are the Mother of 5 girls your seemingly casual attitude took me aback. If you don't agree that there is a huge difference in wisdom and maturity between a 18 year old and a 50 year old, then so be it. I do think it is wrong to ask the people of Texas to place this as$hat in charge of more young adult and teenaged girls. I mean, really.

Again, dealing strictly with the employment issue, it shouldn't have matter if she stripped down to the buff, tap danced on his desk with a sign around her neck saying, "I'm yours!"

He was the one with the employment contract, it was his obligation to say no.

I have a friend who lost her virginity at 12. She says she wanted it, that she practically attacked the guy (who was an adult). I think a normal guy would have kept his hands off a 12 year old, no matter what she said or did.

Older people in positions of authority should have more control than that.

I don't disagree with you (he should have, but apparently lost circulation to his frontal lobe), but the outrage should go both ways. Especially in the age of sexting where girls are sending nude pictures and boys go to jail and get records for it. So he looses his liscence, and she skips off to the next guy.

If his contract defines student as any student enrolled in a public/nonpublic grammar or secondary school, then yes, he was, and he should suffer the consequences. BUT having sex with a legal adult does not make him a "creepy predator." It makes him an adult who had sex with another adult when he shouldn't have, and people do that every.single.day.

Not buying it. I don't mean to be flip, but I was a high school student myself at one point in time and I was not in doe-eyed awe of teachers. I didn't particularly give a rat's @ss (as my dad would say) if someone was a teacher or not if they weren't my teacher.

This whole assigning victim status to young women for making sexual decisions we don't like really bothers me. I find it sexist. Actually, I find the whole, "My 18 year should live under my thumb because s/he's still a child" thing bothersome.

Tara

In your last paragraph, you are making leaps that do not apply. On this board, I am not known for infanticizing teens, sheltering teens, or as an advocate for keeping them "innocent" or young.

I am not "assigning victim status to decisions I don't like". I do not believe in the common idea about teen sex that is found here.

The role of high school teacher does have influence and power. That is why there are laws about having sex with students. It is the same thing as a counselor, and we agree *knowing* and have been tested by a national test on the topic.

I don't disagree with you (he should have, but apparently lost circulation to his frontal lobe), but the outrage should go both ways. Especially in the age of sexting where girls are sending nude pictures and boys go to jail and get records for it. So he looses his liscence, and she skips off to the next guy.

:iagree:This is why I was wondering when this happened. The lady in question has probably moved on and ruined more lives by now.

In your last paragraph, you are making leaps that do not apply. On this board, I am not known for infanticizing teens, sheltering teens, or as an advocate for keeping them "innocent" or young.

I am not "assigning victim status to decisions I don't like". I do not believe in the common idea about teen sex that is found here.

The role of high school teacher does have influence and power. That is why there are laws about having sex with students. It is the same thing as a counselor, and we agree *knowing* and have been tested by a national test on the topic.

My last paragraph was not directed at you specifically. I apologize if it came off that way, which it probably did because I had quoted you in the post.

Just out of curiosity, and again not trying to be snide ... does your counseling license specify no sex with *any* client receiving counseling, or just ones receiving counseling from you/your office?

And again ... if the law says no sex with students, he broke the law and is accountable.

Tara

Oh, I see what you are saying. I get that. Although I can't say I'd feel the same way. As long as both parties are telling the truth about their age and it is consensual I don't have a problem with an 18-year old (male or female) having a relationship (however brief) with a person 20+ years their senior. I feel an 18-year old is old enough to make that decision on his/her own.

And that is where we will have to agree to disagree.

I agree to our mutual disagreement :lol: and raise you this:

The older party is clearly more worldly-wise than the younger when the younger has not even experienced life beyond the walls of high school and the older one can join AARP. To me that is what makes it creepy and predatory.

With anyone's clients, or just your own?

The older party is clearly more worldly-wise than the younger when the younger has not even experienced life beyond the walls of high school and the older one can join AARP. To me that is what makes it creepy and predatory.

That wasn't a raise, that was just more of your own opinion. She apparently had some worldly education. ;)

My last paragraph was not directed at you specifically. I apologize if it came off that way, which it probably did because I had quoted you in the post.

Just out of curiosity, and again not trying to be snide ... does your counseling license specify no sex with *any* client receiving counseling, or just ones receiving counseling from you/your office?

And again ... if the law says no sex with students, he broke the law and is accountable.

Tara

I can not have sex with current clients. That means if I have done an "informed consent" and engaged them at all as a client, no sex (if I want to keep my job.) I can't have sex with former clients for 5 years.

I can have (legal) sex with other therapist's clients, though. ;)

:lol:

I ask in all sincerity, do you know many teen age girls? Seriously, a great many do this sort of thing for fun. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that there was some kind of wager on the stamina of the 50+ year old teacher. You really can't be sure who the predator was in this situation.

I can not have sex with current clients. That means if I have done an "informed consent" and engaged them at all as a client, no sex (if I want to keep my job.) I can't have sex with former clients for 5 years.

And therein is the difference. He has consensual sex with a grown woman who happened to be a student in a completely different school district.

Ok. You have power and authority with YOUR clients and cannot (according to the law) have sex with them, but (according to the law) you have no special station of authority over other people in counseling.

I see it the same with the teacher: power and authority over HIS students that doesn't extend to other people's students.

But again, if the law says any student at all, he is accountable. I just don't find it an abuse of power.

Tara

That's a bit tricky because there appears to be no such thing as universal morality.

Rosie

I disagree knowing that viewpoint will be an unpopular one here. :)

But clearly this would feel threatening to a lot of Mothers who could have 18 year old daughters in his care and under his tutelage... allowing him the ability to have authority over an area of personal weakness for him would be irresponsible.