Menu

Third Grade: Overdoing it for Language Arts?

sagira

Am I overdoing it for LA? We call it English here and here's what I have for ds, my rising third grader who's going to be turning 8 as soon as the new school year begins (whew):

Primary Language Lessons

Voyages in English

Elementary Speller

Vocabulary Workshop

As for writing, we're debuting

Killgallon's Sentence Composing

Overkill? Or just about right? I know some people do well with just PLL, hence my question :)

Am I overdoing it for LA? We call it English here and here's what I have for ds, my rising third grader who's going to be turning 8 as soon as the new school year begins (whew):

Primary Language Lessons

Voyages in English

Elementary Speller

Vocabulary Workshop

As for writing, we're debuting

Killgallon's Sentence Composing

Overkill? Or just about right? I know some people do well with just PLL, hence my question :)

Overkill. PLL and Voyages in English: pick one.

And *I* would not do vocabulary and spelling at the same time.

Oh, and FTR, I never use the term "language arts.":D

Not sure what your experience level is, but I have concluded formal spelling is a waste of time, and that additional time spent on reading and writing corrects spelling contextually. After over a year of doing formal spelling and observing my child not able to correctly spell words on a list from two weeks ago (that she aced at the time), I dropped just let her read, read, read, READ, and some additional writing too.

Spelling on a standardized test went from 20th percentile to 75th percentile in 1 year of taking this approach.

I mentioned my shocking approach to a friend who was a 1st grade teacher for many years, and she said "Oh, spelling tests are useless. I just did them because parents and admin expected me to." :confused:

I feel similarly about vocabulary. Read, read, read, read, both independently and orally to the child (and stop and discuss new vocabulary as it arises). Vocabulary improves automatically with exposure to literature. JMO. :)

It is just my experience that workbooks and things like that, end up taking up a lot of time when a lot more vocabulary/spelling improvement can manifest just by using that time to read and write. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I bought Voyages when I was in a state of panic (I was pregnant), thinking PLL was not enough. However, the more I use PLL the more I like it and I see how complete it is. Voyages Third Grade is more traditional textbook, not usually my style. I could just keep it as a reference. My problem is I have it, and now I feel I have to use it :tongue_smilie: I don't, right? Give me permission to save it perhaps for another child!

I like the idea of doing Spelling and Vocabulary at once. At least that's how I understand what you said. How does that work? I was thinking of just doing one each week, once a week. I really like the looks of Vocabulary Workshop (I don't have it yet, but I just saw a thread about it a few days ago), and as much as ds reads, his vocabulary is not as good I would like. He also asks me definitions of words all the time, even ones that I think are more obvious. He wouldn't know what taunt is for instance. This is a kid who read Charlotte's Web at 6. He could tell me what happened too.

I also really, really like Wheeler's Elementary Speller. Ds does well with it, and I use Spelling City on the computer to have ds take his tests and practice/get tested. I could technically NOT get VW and just work through English from the Roots Up cards (which I also have - hehe).

A good command of the English language is important to me, and ds is just starting to write decent sentences. I'm excellent at spelling, and I want dc to be good spellers too. Perhaps vocabulary does get picked up.

Edited by sagira

Overkill. PLL and Voyages in English: pick one.

And *I* would not do vocabulary and spelling at the same time.

:D

:iagree: (I do call it 'language arts' on what we turn in each year :p)

One grammar, spelling OR vocabulary (I'd choose spelling), and a writing program (Writing with Ease). All those extras mean more time spent on it and can end up giving them information overload, or a hate for the subject (ime). It's better (imho) to have one good grammar/spelling/writing program that you can take your time with, than to have a few good ones that you have to skimp on.

I also really, really like Wheeler's Elementary Speller.

My dd9 is working through this, and I have seen a huge improvement in her spelling. She is a voracious reader, but her spelling has been atrocious. She is definitely not the "absorb spelling through reading" type that I am (neither is her father!). But I did NOT want a mind-numbing workbook of spelling lists like I had in school. Wheeler's has been perfect for us!

You don't have to use Voyages just because you own it. :D

Tara

My dd9 is working through this, and I have seen a huge improvement in her spelling. She is a voracious reader, but her spelling has been atrocious. She is definitely not the "absorb spelling through reading" type that I am (neither is her father!). But I did NOT want a mind-numbing workbook of spelling lists like I had in school. Wheeler's has been perfect for us!

You don't have to use Voyages just because you own it. :D

Tara

Sighing a big sigh of relief. Thank you, everyone! I feel like I received permission from The Hive to own something and not use it :lol:

So no VIE, but keep on with PLL 3x a week, Spelling 2X a week, Vocabulary through root word cards (ds actually enjoys these) and through reading and discussion.

How is Wheelers elemtary speller used? Is it for a certain grade level? Do I buy the book or print it? I am going nuts trying to find a spelling curriculum for my soon to be 3rd grader. I can't seem to find one I am happy with. I have tried AAS, & Spelling by sound and structure (R&S) and am currently reading through spalding's WRTR. I want to find out more about this Wheelers elementary speller.

How is Wheelers elemtary speller used? Is it for a certain grade level? Do I buy the book or print it? I am going nuts trying to find a spelling curriculum for my soon to be 3rd grader. I can't seem to find one I am happy with. I have tried AAS, & Spelling by sound and structure (R&S) and am currently reading through spalding's WRTR. I want to find out more about this Wheelers elementary speller.

It's on Google Books. I just print out what I need. We enjoy it. It's like a PLL for ES. I think we're working below level, so I'm going to skip ahead and see where I think ds is.

Re: vocab... I'm not sure when the best time to do it is, but I do know from my VAST (ha!) experience as a PS English teacher that the only vocabulary studies that helped were structural and etymological, that is roots, suffixes, prefixes, etc. Anything else (and they were usually tied to spelling lists to make them more "meaningful") was just drivel that went in one ear and out the other.

Good to know. I've decided to drop Vocabulary and just read and explain. If I can't explain well enough there's always the dictionary. Wheeler's ES and PLL offer some good vocabulary too.

I've decided to go with:

PLL

ES

WWE: The Complete Writer (text only)