Menu

knitting advice

My kids all want to learn to knit. My teenager vaguely remembers how to do so from her grandma teaching her, but she is good at self-teaching so I know it will come back to her. I don't know how, but I am willing to learn.

Please advise on where to get needles, whether or not I need smaller ones for 5,8, and 10 year olds, etc. I don't even know where to start...or what to ask. Cheap is good. Please hip me to what I need to know.:D

You can get needles anywhere - craft stores, Joann. For littler hands, you probably want to use shorter straight needles (come in pairs, have a pointy end and an end with a stop) or even circular needles (connected by a cord). You don't want small diameter needles, though. They take more fine dexterity to use, the stitches are smaller, etc.

There are usually kids' needles with kitties or whatever as the stop. They're shorter than standard and the stops are color coded for turning your work.

Usually, your local yarn store (LYS) is a good resource for classes and whatnot, but they may (or may not) be pricier than the craft store.

One more thing: have the kids start with a yarn that has some give; either wool or acrylic (or a blend) in a worsted weight. Cottons and fancy yarns are difficult to knit with. Cotton is very non stretchy and can be physically challenging, fancies make it difficult to see stitches and may also be too stiff.

Oh and make sure everyone knows that "frogging" (rip-it, rip-it) is a part of every knitter's process, not just beginners. It makes me feel better, after 30+ years, to read about the Yarn Harlot's woolen catastrophes. It can be really frustrating for beginners, though.

You can get needles anywhere - craft stores, Joann. For littler hands, you probably want to use shorter straight needles (come in pairs, have a pointy end and an end with a stop) or even circular needles (connected by a cord). You don't want small diameter needles, though. They take more fine dexterity to use, the stitches are smaller, etc.

There are usually kids' needles with kitties or whatever as the stop. They're shorter than standard and the stops are color coded for turning your work.

Usually, your local yarn store (LYS) is a good resource for classes and whatnot, but they may (or may not) be pricier than the craft store.

One more thing: have the kids start with a yarn that has some give; either wool or acrylic (or a blend) in a worsted weight. Cottons and fancy yarns are difficult to knit with. Cotton is very non stretchy and can be physically challenging, fancies make it difficult to see stitches and may also be too stiff.

Oh and make sure everyone knows that "frogging" (rip-it, rip-it) is a part of every knitter's process, not just beginners. It makes me feel better, after 30+ years, to read about the Yarn Harlot's woolen catastrophes. It can be really frustrating for beginners, though.

Thank you! This is already much more than I knew.:001_smile:

When I was first taught to knit, I was told to buy size 10 needles and yarn that uses size 10 (will be a little thicker)...It is easier to see your stitches on thicker yarn and more difficult to knit with thinner yarn...

I prefer wooden or bamboo needles because I like the feel of them...

I would go to a yarn shop and buy yarn and needles there...You could go to Michaels or JoAnns, but they have a lot of acrylic and synthetic yarn...If you like to knit with wool, you will have a hard time finding it there...They may have one brand of wool yarn if you are lucky...

Have fun!...I am still a beginner I think but I am having fun learning :001_smile:

Hit Joann's for some straight needles. Use a 40% off coupon for them (in the Sunday papers) and you can get some needles cheap. Also, Joann's give homeschoolers their teacher discount (15% off everything in the store - sale, clearance, regular price) so make sure you sign up for their program. You can also get some nice beginner yarns at Joann's.

Definitely don't use smaller needles. The smaller the needle, the harder it is to work with. I'd get a size 8 or size 10 needle for starting out with little hands. Youtube has AWESOME knitting videos. I still use it every once in a while and I've been knitting for 25 years (I learned when I was 7.)

Like the PP said, avoid cotton yarn to start and go for an acrylic. But don't buy the cheapest Lion Brand ball of yarn - it doesn't rip out well and it can be "sticky" on the needle instead of gliding. Look for a worsted weight yarn (the label will tell you if it's baby, sport, or worsted weight) and check to make sure that you're buying the size needles you need for the yarn. There will be a little square on the label that tells you "22 stitches to 4" with size X needles. You can go up or down a size (so buy size 8 needles if it calls for size 7 needles) without problem, but you don't want to knit yarn on size 8 needles when it was meant for size 2 needles if that makes sense.

You can go to http://www.ravelry.com and find patterns too. Type in whatever you want (scarf, washcloth, etc) in the box and it will give you all sorts of patterns.

Hope this helps and I'm not just confusing you more! :)

Ooh! Speaking of videos, knittinghelp.com has basic to "advanced" (it's all pretty much knit or purl, "advanced" is relative) videos. Casting on to kitchner grafting.

And, yes, I would also recommend a midgrade wool to begin. Wool is the standard, in my world. But if you want machine washable and inexpensive, Plymouth Encore is pretty equivalent, knitting feel wise. Lion is... Blech. (I try to temper my snobbery for the sake of beginning knitter's ;) )

My older daughter and I started knitting this past October. We took a class together and were both lost after the first lesson. I went home and looked up how to knit on Youtube. In a week I learned to knit and purl. I also came back to class with a bag I knitted to hold all my yarn and needles. LOL

Youtube is a great place to go to learn to knit. Anytime I have questions I just look it up on there and learn. I love to go to Ravelry for free patterns.

I learned to knit using 100% cotton yarn and am glad I did. I can't stand the feel of acrylic yarn and there is no way I would have stuck with it if that is what I had started with. If I were to teach someone I would go with wool or cotton. I would also use a size 8 or larger needle to start with.

Your younger children might have a hard time knitting with two needles. My daughter was 7 at the time of the class and most of the kids that caught on quickly were 9 or older. The younger one's finger knitted after a couple classes because they just could not get the hand/eye coordination down.

Have fun with it and don't be afraid to tear apart something and try again. I learned to knit with 2 needles, 4 needles, and in the round within 3 weeks. I LOVE knitting and usually have 3 projects going at once now. :lol:

Larger needles and thicker yarns are best for beginners. I've tried those needles that are 2 different colors, and I like the idea, but I prefer bamboo needles. They hold the yarn better. Plastic needles are slippery, and can be frustrating. I'd get bamboo needles. Michael's has Sugar & Cream cotton yarn on sale right now 4/$5 if you want to try that - we like it. A good starting pattern is Grandma's Favorite Dish Cloth. My girls did very well with this last summer when they were 9 & 10.

I second the suggestion of YouTube videos! They are wonderful. Also knittinghelp.com is a great resource.

I have to second, and third, and fourth http://www.knittinghelp.com. Folks here recommended it, I looked it up, and taught myself to knit from the internet. You Tube is also wonderful.

I also have to agree with larger needles and thicker yarn. It's so much easier. And go for a wool/acrylic blend - it stretches better to make the stitches move on and off the needles more easily. My first project was really just a bunch of practicing, but DD wants it for a dolly blanket - it's 80% acrylic 20% wool and stretched so well I gained confidence rapidly.

And frogging is fun!!! Rip-it! Rip-it!

Another YouTuber/KnittingHelp.com self taught knitter here... But this also may only work for motivated folk. My first project was making diaper covers for my DD, than sweaters for them, than socks etc... So they need to pick something they want to make and go from there, that way they have a "reason" to lookup videos etc on what to do and how to do a certain style/stitch.

I would start out with affordable tools, in-case some or most of them don't follow through. :c) I actually got most of my starter stuff at goodwill & other thrift stores. I knitted with whatever yarn I had around and/or was given to me. From there I moved onto nicer yarn and needles.

Another YouTuber/KnittingHelp.com self taught knitter here... But this also may only work for motivated folk. My first project was making diaper covers for my DD, than sweaters for them, than socks etc... So they need to pick something they want to make and go from there, that way they have a "reason" to lookup videos etc on what to do and how to do a certain style/stitch.

I would start out with affordable tools, in-case some or most of them don't follow through. :c) I actually got most of my starter stuff at goodwill & other thrift stores. I knitted with whatever yarn I had around and/or was given to me. From there I moved onto nicer yarn and needles.

:iagree: I agree with what everyone else has said, but the part I bolded was what really worked for me! I began knitting for the same reason GnomeyNewt did and it really made me WANT to knit- I had a reason for learning, kwim?

I also really believe you should use wool or a wool/acrylic blend to start out with. It is much more forgiving than cotton.

Have fun!

You may also want to check out knitpicks.com as they probably have kids' needles and have very reasonably priced yarn.

They also usually have one or two "learn to knit" kits that provide yarn and instructions for beginners who want to make some simple items.

I'm going to be a dissenter and say that I'd probably start a beginner off on circular rather than straight needles. You can knit flat on circular needles, just like you can with straight needles, and you don't have to worry about dropping a needle when you start a new row.

For your kids that are new to knitting:

Cast on for them, knit a couple rows and then teach them the knit stitch. This is how I learned and it was easy. I had something to hold onto and I could see what was happening.

Watch out for the "ugly bump!" when you start a new row.

We went to the Goodwill store and then to Walmart today and got some supplies. My teenager taught the younger ones how to do it. They watched a Youtube video. The 5 year old was not really able to do it. She mostly made a tangle of her beautiful pink yarn. The 8 year old caught on pretty quickly, and the 10 year old is still figuring it out. I got acrylic/wool yarn and not cotton, like folks advised, as well as larger needles.

I took some pictures.:001_smile:

Thanks for the advice. I didn't have time today to learn how myself, but I will let dd teach me soon.

We love the book Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick. It has both instruction and projects. Your library might own a copy.

I was just going to post a link to this book. It is great. It has girls AND boys in it and very clear instructions along with some fun projects. Highly recommended.