Menu

colleges having different SAT standards for homeschoolers?

We were at a gathering this weekend and I was talking to a friend about transcripts, etc. for homeschoolers. A guy I know overheard us and jumped in to tell his experience.

He was homeschooled, graduated over 10 years ago, took the SAT, did well (I don't know his score). He's been self employed since then and now wants to go back to school. He applied at a state school this spring and was rejected because they told him he needed to have scored a 1560 on his SAT to be considered! They said since he was homeschooled he had no grades or transcript that they would consider and had to weight his SAT more heavily than they would for other applicants.

Is is this really the case? For a state school? It stresses me out a little. I only have and 8th grader so I'm just starting to think about these things...

Anyone?

I'm not sure what the current test looks like, but I know that, a while back, they added a third section to the SAT, so there were 3 sections (critical reading, math, and now a writing section) that were all scored from 200-800 points. So the top score became a 2400, not a 1600 like it was when many of us took the test.

If they are looking for a minimum score of 1560, I'm assuming it must be on that 2400-point scale, which would mean averaging about a 520 on each section. That sounds about right for a state school's minimum SAT requirements.

I've never heard of a school accepting SAT scores that are 10 years old, so that also could have been part of the issue.

That sounds odd for a non-traditional student post high school by ten years. But, it could be that because he doesn't have a degree or possibly even professional licensing, that there is this requirement. As twoforjoy says, if the 1560 were based on the current 2400 point scale, that would put the minimum score at the national average and no higher which sounds right for a non-selective state school.

But, the other thing that could be is that he was a non-traditional student talking to an admin that didn't really understand the guidelines for irregular admits. If he has been in the workforce this long, it's entirely possible that employer recommendations, copy of high school transcript, copy of old SAT score, and resume in addition to an interview is all he needs. It also may depend on what he wants to major in as well.

When dd was going through the admission's process, we did not find a single school that held her to higher SAT/ACT standard just because of being homeschooled than they did for any other potential candidates.

Faith

Maybe because he was returing to school? I don't know if you should trsut him, but I would call the school your child might be interested in and just talk it over with them. So far nothing like that has happened to me when talking with anyone, homeschoolers do need to show a little more but I don't believe anything more. Just relax and take a deep breathe!:)

I'm not sure what the current test looks like, but I know that, a while back, they added a third section to the SAT, so there were 3 sections (critical reading, math, and now a writing section) that were all scored from 200-800 points. So the top score became a 2400, not a 1600 like it was when many of us took the test.

If they are looking for a minimum score of 1560, I'm assuming it must be on that 2400-point scale, which would mean averaging about a 520 on each section. That sounds about right for a state school's minimum SAT requirements.

I've never heard of a school accepting SAT scores that are 10 years old, so that also could have been part of the issue.

This is what I was thinking...different scoring on the newer SAT test.

This is what I was thinking...different scoring on the newer SAT test.

Right, and it's quite possible that the admissions officer might not even be aware that 10 years ago the test was scored differently.

It's possible this guy just didn't know what he was talking about, but it's also possible that the admissions person was unclear about the change in scoring, especially if he'd just spoken to somebody instead of going through the formal admissions process.

But I'd be pretty certain that no college, anywhere, has a 1560 on the old test as the minimum SAT score required for consideration, and certainly not state schools.

Right, and it's quite possible that the admissions officer might not even be aware that 10 years ago the test was scored differently.

It's possible this guy just didn't know what he was talking about, but it's also possible that the admissions person was unclear about the change in scoring, especially if he'd just spoken to somebody instead of going through the formal admissions process.

But I'd be pretty certain that no college, anywhere, has a 1560 on the old test as the minimum SAT score required for consideration, and certainly not state schools.

:iagree: A 1560 minimum is definitely reasonable by today's scoring. It would equate to a 1040 on the "old score."

For what it's worth, most colleges look at homeschooled student's ACT/SAT scores more closely than they do their ps counterparts. They don't necessarily need a higher score, it's just that they need some outside confirmation of grades and that tends to be it.

We were at a gathering this weekend and I was talking to a friend about transcripts, etc. for homeschoolers. A guy I know overheard us and jumped in to tell his experience.

He was homeschooled, graduated over 10 years ago, took the SAT, did well (I don't know his score). He's been self employed since then and now wants to go back to school. He applied at a state school this spring and was rejected because they told him he needed to have scored a 1560 on his SAT to be considered! They said since he was homeschooled he had no grades or transcript that they would consider and had to weight his SAT more heavily than they would for other applicants.

Is is this really the case? For a state school? It stresses me out a little. I only have and 8th grader so I'm just starting to think about these things...

Anyone?

From the school's point of view, the gentleman could have dropped out of high school. It is reasonable that they might want some proof of his high school education.

In general, though, I have seen no university or college that required a higher SAT score for homeschoolers. I have seen situations where a GED is required if a student does not have an accredited high school diploma. The gentleman you spoke with might consider taking the GED....

I think it's smart to start with where your child might like to (realistically) attend college and work backwards regarding requirements. Call your state school and your child's "dream" school and find out what they want from homeschoolers. Let that real first hand information guide your high school plans.

:iagree:

He did say that they told him if he had a GED it would have been a totally different story, and that he could still get it at this point and then he would be considered with that in mind. He didn't feel like pressing the issue and just decided to go the cc route instead.

Also he mentioned that the SAT has changed its scoring since he took it, but that he was told specifically that he had to have 1560 out of the 1600 his would have been based on originally. But it totally makes more sense what you guys are saying in terms of 1500's for the NEW system.

I'll double check with him. Maybe it was a communication issue. Which would be a bummer for him.

I think he's happy with his decision to just start with cc, but I got stressed out at the idea that they have a totally different standard for homeschoolers SAT scores.

So thanks for reassuring me :D

It's so hard being at this stage in homeschooling. Getting ready for high school, not wanting to screw up future options, but having no idea as of yet what those options are! I mean, I hate to spend a bunch of time making sure that the university route stays open, when my child might not even care to do that when the time comes. But I'd hate even more to cut something off that we'd regret later.:tongue_smilie:

It's as if state schools have very rigid admission's requirements and don't want to (are unable to) think outside of the box.

I think that is because they *are* state schools, they have to have an admissions policy that is standards-based - an admissions formula - so that the process is applied the same way to each applicant. Private schools can admit students because they want to (and reject them because they want to), based on any criteria they want, including "I really didn't like his sweater". Public schools must withstand challenges of bias; if they have a standard formula of "SAT score plus GPA plus two points if your parents went here divided by class rank = admissions score*, everyone above a score of x gets in" then race, gender, and so on clearly aren't taken into account. Private schools, OTOH, can say "hey, this kid has lousy grades, but he's done some cool stuff, he's in".

Because of the economy, state schools are more attractive to even highly-qualified students (since they're cheaper), so it's getting harder to get in. Homeschoolers who are aiming at competitive state schools may have to present themselves in a more school-y fashion in order to make their round pegs best fit the square admissions boxes. Private schools may be more flexible in creating different admissions paths. (Generalizations here, of course, but you get the idea.)

(*Clearly, this example doesn't make sense, math-wise. But you get the idea.)

Edited by askPauline

Anyone?

In my state it is illegal for schools to have different expectations for home school students than for public school students. That means that the scores must be the same as expected from the other students. I believe it would be illegal for them to require higher scores from home school students. If a home school student does not have transcripts, however, then his application would be incomplete and THAT would be a reason to not admit him since transcripts are required for public school students.

If the college has a policy that students who do not have other documents can be admitted if they have exceptional SAT scores alone (no transcripts), and that applied to all students, not just home school students, then that would be different, but I have never heard of that. It would make sense, however, if a school wanted to be sure to snag exceptional students regardless of their background, especially if they didn't have to offer them traditional, freshman, merit scholarships. They would have every reason in the world to want those students.

In my experience, it is really critical for people to follow up on puzzling questions with colleges because many administrators and faculty have faulty information about home school students. You can be mislead by someone who means well but just doesn't have all the facts. If you keep records and make a transcript for your high school student, and you have some outside documentation such as strong test scores and/or some dual credit, you will be just fine, so don't worry! ;)

The 1560 score is probably based on the current SAT which has three sections for scoring and the max score of 2400. When that man took the SAT he probably took the two section test with a max score of 1600.

I don't know todays requirements for non-traditional students. But for me, I never took the SAT. I was in Navy 5 years before going to college. I took a placement test in MD about two years before getting out of the Navy. I started college 6 yrs after graduating high school (graduated in 1984). I attended public high schools so I had a diploma.

I started college at a community college in IL and they accepted my placement scores from MD. I transfered to University of Illinois @ Chicago in Bioengineering program with about 50 credits. I still didn't have to take SAT or any other placement exams.

Ok, personal rant for me :rant:

When my sister applied to GSU two years ago, she was waitlisted bc her SAT wasn't high enough. She scored high enough if she had been ps, but not high enough for a hs'er. Isn't the SAT an aptitude test? It is designed to predict how well you will perform in college. However, many colleges use it as a measurement of how much you learned in school.

What is the point of attempting to use the SAT as have a standard form of measurement if they don't use it the same way for all???