Menu

A brand new Coach Purse ebay or craigslist?

It really depends on how many seasons ago it was put out. It could still look really new, but might have been part of say the spring 2004 collection (just pulling something out of thin air) in which case the value of it online wouldn't really be as great. But you could probably figure out by googling what season the bag came out in.

Edited by actuary

I agree about making sure it is "real".

My MIL/FIL run a Flea market stand (ick, don't ask!), but they have a source where they buy bags/purses, it is a website. These bags look authentic, but they are sooooo not! I carry one. I've been in the Coach store. You really reallly have to look closely to tell that mine is not real.

I agree about making sure it is "real".

My MIL/FIL run a Flea market stand (ick, don't ask!), but they have a source where they buy bags/purses, it is a website. These bags look authentic, but they are sooooo not! I carry one. I've been in the Coach store. You really reallly have to look closely to tell that mine is not real.

Why is it ick to run a flea market stand?? My dh and ds have recently started this every Wednesday and will probably do it all summer. My inlaws did this all the time their kids were growing up (so dh knows all about flea market life). I was curious if they sell the purses as knockoffs of the originals....or do they claim they are original?

And, to anyone else....I never did get the coach bag craze. I don't get what's so special about them. I think they are kinda ugly, actually (with the big C's on them....I'm sure they don't all have C's). My sister lives in a big city and she knows where to shop. She buys them and resells them on eBay and makes several hundred per bag. What?? I don't think I've ever spent more than $20 on a purse....and I probably thought that was too much. :001_smile:

ETA: To the OP, I'd first see if it were a knockoff or not. Then look in completed auctions on eBay to see what that kind has sold for. Then you'll get an idea what price to list on Craigslist. Auctions are nice, because sometimes you get more than what you planned...and that's always fun. But, sometimes it's nice to just set a price and get what you want for it. Let us know what one it is (if you find a pic...give us the link).

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I'd bet it is a fake, but you never know! You may have gotten a really good deal from someone who is clueless. I once picked up an Ergo baby carrier for 50 cents at a yard sale, and those go for about $100 normally.

That is a good link that was posted. I'd read that holding the purse in my hands and go over it with a fine toothed comb, really looking to see if it's legit.

I'd bet it is a fake, but you never know! You may have gotten a really good deal from someone who is clueless. I once picked up an Ergo baby carrier for 50 cents at a yard sale, and those go for about $100 normally.

That is a good link that was posted. I'd read that holding the purse in my hands and go over it with a fine toothed comb, really looking to see if it's legit.

My MIL gave me one for a gift and I didn't even like it that much. Someone had to tell me it was a "Coach" and therefore "special/expensive" -- I would have probably sold it for $1 too...:lol:

Same with the Brighton shoes and keychain she brought me this spring. She gushed so much over giving them to me that I had to get on the internet and look Brighton up to see what the big deal was. :tongue_smilie: The shoes were too small, so perhaps I will ebay them!

K

(you find me in Walmart -- buying my wardrobe off the clearance rack or online at slickdeals...)

And, to anyone else....I never did get the coach bag craze. I don't get what's so special about them. I think they are kinda ugly, actually (with the big C's on them....I'm sure they don't all have C's). My sister lives in a big city and she knows where to shop. She buys them and resells them on eBay and makes several hundred per bag. What?? I don't think I've ever spent more than $20 on a purse....and I probably thought that was too much. :001_smile:

I'm not a fan of the ones with the big C's but I do like some of their other bags. Personally I'm more of a Kate Spade fan. And I like Michael Kors also. And Burberry. Basically I have champagne taste on a beer budget or however that saying goes!

I like just strolling through Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus to window shop...:tongue_smilie:

I still think even if the OP's isn't fake, it could be really out of season. The ones I've seen at yard sales are often from at least 10 years ago and the resale value of those is really low. Even if it's only 4 years old, the resale value will be reduced a lot.

Edited by actuary

I recently watched a bunch of YouTube videos on coach purses. The stitching on coach purses is almost entirely perfect and neat. I say almost because I *think* that they have outlets for near perfect purses. There are also other things like the initials on the zipper, lining etc.

Anyway, research and then decide if it is real before selling it. I once traded OOP books for a real L.V. purse and a while later tried to sell it on eBay and had the auction taken down and a stern message from them that it was not a real L.V..

Hope that helps ...

Why is it ick to run a flea market stand?? My dh and ds have recently started this every Wednesday and will probably do it all summer. My inlaws did this all the time their kids were growing up (so dh knows all about flea market life). I was curious if they sell the purses as knockoffs of the originals....or do they claim they are original?

To each his own, but I just hate the flea market. Lots and lots of knock-off, cheap from China junk that breaks as soon as you get it home (MIL always buys my DS toys from other vendors there). Next to that you have all of the junk collecters, selling their decades old computers and old stereos. I am sure there are deals to be had, and probably some real treasures. But to me, I just feels dirty. It is always HOT (we are in the south), the clientele always seems, well, um, just not people I would normally associate with...and since I was there too, hey maybe they are thinking the same thing about me!

My IL's sell lots of stuff. They normally do not sell the "designer knock-offs" actually, but just order from that company to order purses with local college mascots/icons, like Florida Gators, Georgia Bulldogs, etc. So whenever she puts in an order in, I tell her what I want, and usually get 2-3 knock-offs. So no, they are not saying they are "originals", cuz who in their right mind would think they were buying originals at a flea market anyway?

So again, to each his own, but that's just my feeling about flea markets. I know my IL's can make a good chunk of change, bringing in $300-1000 each weekend. But they do have to be there EVERY weekend too.

I got it at a garage sale for $1. It still has a plastic piece off the tag on it and looks brand new. Any idea how much I could try and sell it for? I would keep it, but I prefer a crossbody bag.

What does the bolded mean? Can you post a pic? If you do, we might be able to tell you if it's fake.

Coach is my weakness. :blush:

What does the bolded mean? Can you post a pic? If you do, we might be able to tell you if it's fake.

Coach is my weakness. :blush:

One of my purse weaknesses as well. :) I also don't really care for the big "C's" on some of their designs. I love their super soft leather that are all so well built. Most of my Coach purses are several years old and they all look as good as the day I bought them. Well worth it and I really enjoy them. :)

(you find me in Walmart -- buying my wardrobe off the clearance rack or online at slickdeals...)

Slickdeals?? Ooooo....I'm off to google that. :D

Personally I'm more of a Kate Spade fan.

I don't know much about it...but I know my sister is really big into Kate Spade.

I don't know much about it...but I know my sister is really big into Kate Spade.

Unfortunately I don't own any Kate Spade bags...yet...I have one Coach bag. I can't really afford to indulge my tastes usually:tongue_smilie:

That's why I like to pretend window shop online - it costs no money and the sticker shock reminds me why I need to stick to making do with mostly non-designer brands :lol:

Thanks everyone. I'm going to take it to Macy's to find out for sure. Everything that I've read about real and knock offs tell me it's real, but I'm just not 100% certain. The plastic piece is just a piece where the tag would have been hanging, but the tag got ripped off and the plastic piece is still there.

On eBay there is a "community board" where the folks *know* their purses. They will be able to tell you if you post good pics.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum/Clothing-Shoes-Accessories/7

This one isn't purse-specific (it's children's clothes) but more likely to get you quick info:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum/Childrens-Clothing-Boutique/4011

They are nice folks.