Menu

Music in the early years

golfcartmama

Just wondering if y'all teach music at home in the early (K-3) years? My ds is taking drum lessons and learning a TON for a very reasonable price (he's entering 3rd now), but my dd (entering formal K) isn't ready for an instrument yet, per say, but I want to teach her something in the music realm and she has a LOVE for all things music. We don't have a church children's choir or anything for her to be in, no Kindermusik classes anymore, etc. Is there a good (tried and true!) program I could use at home with her??

You might be surprised at what age a child can learn a musical instrument. The Suzuki method, and a number of other methods, begin to teach an instrument to children as young as 2-3yo.

If you are simply interested in doing something at home rather than instrument study at this point, you might try Music Mind Games or No H in Snake by Michiko Yurko (I may be misspelling her name). It teaches basic music theory through fun games using manipulatives.

Listening to all different types of music or learning about the lives of different composers can also be beneficial. You could listen to music from the time periods of history as you study them.

Sing together, learn new songs, tap out rhythms to different pieces, dance around the room to music.

Putting on my professional hat here (I teach early childhood music ages 0-7 at the University level and also am a curriculum developer for Kindermusik).

Actually, there is still a Kindermusik program for ages 5-7-Kindermusik for the Young child, which goes into more music reading, literature and theory. Musikgarten has a similar program that goes until age 9, transitioning to piano at age 6-7. Both are great options and far exceed the music standards for the early elementary grades. You may also find that there are group music classes in your area for homeschoolers. An Orff, Kodaly, or Dalcroze based class is a great option. Some parents have had good luck getting permission for their child to take a group music class in a traditional school setting-for Kindergarten, this is usually once a week for 45-60 minutes or twice a week for 30 minutes.

For at-home study

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Use-Music-Reading-Activities/dp/0137561644/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307708542&sr=8-1

is a good book for those early years. It's designed for slightly older students (I'd say 3rd grade and up) to use independently as an introduction to theory, but is very accessible as a spine to teach basic skills in K-2. It uses either a mallet percussion instrument (glockenspiel, resonator bars, or orff instrument) or a keyboard instrument. The Kinder-glockenspiel that Sonor created for Kindermusik classes is available through other vendors as well, and is a really nice little instrument that has a decent sound and is in tune, for an affordable price. West Music carries it, as do most school music vendors. Musician's Friend carries the Angel chromatic glockenspiel, and it's a nice instrument as well. And any keyboard instrument from any music instrument vendor (ie, not from the toy section) would work for this purpose.

I also really love the "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers" biographies by Mike Venezia

http://www.amazon.com/Johann-Sebastian-Getting-Greatest-Composers/dp/0516263528/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307708890&sr=1-1

. These are wonderful to get (and many libraries have them. Most public libraries also have decent classical sections for check-out even if they don't have much other music) and use as a music literature curriculum.

Edited by dmmetler

Putting on my professional hat here (I teach early childhood music ages 0-7 at the University level and also am a curriculum developer for Kindermusik).

Actually, there is still a Kindermusik program for ages 5-7-Kindermusik for the Young child, which goes into more music reading, literature and theory. Musikgarten has a similar program that goes until age 9, transitioning to piano at age 6-7. Both are great options and far exceed the music standards for the early elementary grades. You may also find that there are group music classes in your area for homeschoolers. An Orff, Kodaly, or Dalcroze based class is a great option. Some parents have had good luck getting permission for their child to take a group music class in a traditional school setting-for Kindergarten, this is usually once a week for 45-60 minutes or twice a week for 30 minutes.

For at-home study

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Use-Music-Reading-Activities/dp/0137561644/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307708542&sr=8-1

is a good book for those early years. It's designed for slightly older students (I'd say 3rd grade and up) to use independently as an introduction to theory, but is very accessible as a spine to teach basic skills in K-2. It uses either a mallet percussion instrument (glockenspiel, resonator bars, or orff instrument) or a keyboard instrument. The Kinder-glockenspiel that Sonor created for Kindermusik classes is available through other vendors as well, and is a really nice little instrument that has a decent sound and is in tune, for an affordable price. West Music carries it, as do most school music vendors. Musician's Friend carries the Angel chromatic glockenspiel, and it's a nice instrument as well. And any keyboard instrument from any music instrument vendor (ie, not from the toy section) would work for this purpose.

I also really love the "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers" biographies by Mike Venezia

http://www.amazon.com/Johann-Sebastian-Getting-Greatest-Composers/dp/0516263528/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307708890&sr=1-1

. These are wonderful to get (and many libraries have them. Most public libraries also have decent classical sections for check-out even if they don't have much other music) and use as a music literature curriculum.

Thank you!

Actually, there is still a Kindermusik program for ages 5-7-Kindermusik for the Young child, which goes into more music reading, literature and theory. Musikgarten has a similar program that goes until age 9, transitioning to piano at age 6-7. Both are great options and far exceed the music standards for the early elementary grades.

Ditto this. My kids have been in Kindermusik since they were babies, DD just finished up Young Child 1. I am absolutely amazed at what she has learned and what what she is internalizing. The music school that I take them to is switching over to Musikgarten next year, and I am equally excited about that. It seems to have a stronger emphasis on early ear training. I think this foundation will just be excellent for them to transition into the group piano class before private lessons (piano or anything else.) I have a very strong music background, but I am so glad that we have been doing this. Aside from the music training, it is an outlet for them to work with other children in a small group setting. I can't say enough positive things about it!

My older 2 (8yo & 10yo) take piano lessons 2x week each from the same woman (we moved into this subdivision into a rental home to be near her). She's a firm believer in family lessons so we alllllllllll go and we alllllllllllll sit through the lessons - together- 30 min/4x week. It's amazing what the kids pick up just by being present during the others' lessons! She would initially let my little guy (5) "improvise" on the piano pre/post sibling's lesson, where the only thing she stressed was a light touch. Fast forward a few months (after lots of improvising) he asked her "Can I sign up for piano now?" LOL

And so she started him on basic fingering just two weeks ago and he is OVER THE MOON. He walks into her studio now, pulls out the Primer A, sits at the bench, and finds a song he wants to play. :001_smile:

Edited by cjbeach

Just wondering if y'all teach music at home in the early (K-3) years? My ds is taking drum lessons and learning a TON for a very reasonable price (he's entering 3rd now), but my dd (entering formal K) isn't ready for an instrument yet, per say, but I want to teach her something in the music realm and she has a LOVE for all things music. We don't have a church children's choir or anything for her to be in, no Kindermusik classes anymore, etc. Is there a good (tried and true!) program I could use at home with her??

I saw this at a convention today and fell in love with it. It is very similar to Kindermusik (which I did for several yrs with my older kids). It is Catholic, but the majority of the songs are secular children's songs. I thought it was very reasonably priced. (5 cds, 5 seasonal books, and the teacher's book.)

http://www.makingmusicprayingtwice.com/

I saw this at a convention today and fell in love with it. It is very similar to Kindermusik (which I did for several yrs with my older kids). It is Catholic, but the majority of the songs are secular children's songs. I thought it was very reasonably priced. (5 cds, 5 seasonal books, and the teacher's book.)

http://www.makingmusicprayingtwice.com/

:iagree: we like mmpt as well!

you can listen to samples of their songs here.

http://www.makingmusicprayingtwice.com/store/listen-to-samples

Edited by iona

:iagree: we like mmpt as well!

you can listen to samples of their songs here.

http://www.makingmusicprayingtwice.com/store/listen-to-samples

I should have included that I didn't buy it. :( My toddler would love it. She loves music. But, I knew that in reality I don't have the time. If I only had little ones, I would have bought it w/o hesitation.

• 3 weeks later...