Menu

Singapore vs. MUS vs. Saxon

Giraffe

OK - next year DD will start math and I need to pick a curriculum. I have seen MUS at the homeschool bookfair, but I've never seen Singapore or Saxon and am not likely to be able to.

Can someone give me a summary or a link to a summary comparing these three programs? I had always thought I'd just use MUS as that's what my SIL used and what I've seen, but I see many afterschoolers (which we will be) using Saxon and Singapore. I know nothing of them.

Help a mom out? Thanks!

Are you comfortable with something that demands a lot from you or would you prefer something open-and-go?

My experience with MUS is that it's a good program but a lot for me to pull together. On my best game I could handle it but when I had a busy week or some stress it tended to fall apart. If you have no worries along that line then it's supposed to be an excellent program.

I'm not familiar with Saxon.

Singapore has my heart. It's not only done well by my two (polar opposite) children but has given me a re-education in math and opened up math to me. It's open and go, uncluttered and not expensive. If you need extra work I also find it pairs really well with two other excellent programs, Math Mammoth (which might be worth a look as well) and Miquon. It's also a program that can take your child from K to Gr. 12.

Are you comfortable with something that demands a lot from you or would you prefer something open-and-go?

My experience with MUS is that it's a good program but a lot for me to pull together. On my best game I could handle it but when I had a busy week or some stress it tended to fall apart. If you have no worries along that line then it's supposed to be an excellent program.

I'm not familiar with Saxon.

Singapore has my heart. It's not only done well by my two (polar opposite) children but has given me a re-education in math and opened up math to me. It's open and go, uncluttered and not expensive. If you need extra work I also find it pairs really well with two other excellent programs, Math Mammoth (which might be worth a look as well) and Miquon. It's also a program that can take your child from K to Gr. 12.

I am probably going to need open and go - but I am NOT a mathy person and the info I'm seeing through searching old threads shows that Singapore is hard for non-mathy people so it scares me. And I've never seen it - ever. I've seen MUS - it's boring looking, but it looks approachable to me.

Ugh. I really need help with this. I really do. And a way to see these curricula in person. How? :confused:

I find this hilarious, because I cracked the teacher manual for the first time this week to make checking my son's multi-digit addition a little easier. (Clearly, he's in Beta.) For everything else he's just watched the DVD lesson and done his homework.

I did work with him a lot in the Primer level, particularly with the manipulatives. But now I just have to remind him to do his math, and he'll open his workbook or get the DVD and put it in the player downstairs. That means that that's a little more time I can spend keeping my two younger children from tearing the house apart. And I think my son enjoys getting a break from me as a teacher, too!

It just goes to show what very different experiences people can have with the same curriculum.

I find this hilarious, because I cracked the teacher manual for the first time this week to make checking my son's multi-digit addition a little easier. (Clearly, he's in Beta.) For everything else he's just watched the DVD lesson and done his homework.

I did work with him a lot in the Primer level, particularly with the manipulatives. But now I just have to remind him to do his math, and he'll open his workbook or get the DVD and put it in the player downstairs. That means that that's a little more time I can spend keeping my two younger children from tearing the house apart. And I think my son enjoys getting a break from me as a teacher, too!

It just goes to show what very different experiences people can have with the same curriculum.

I just realized I forgot something too. I was using the old MUS (before the Alpha, beta, gamma thing) so that may have affected my experience too.

So to the OP, grill your sister on MUS and look through her stuff. You'll know then if it's up your alley.

Why do so many afterschoolers use Saxon or Singapore? Is there a reason MUS doesn't seem to show up much in their curriculum lists? Does anyone know?

I want to use MUS - but I don't want to shortchange DD is Singapore or Saxon is better. Or if MUS takes too much time and the others are more efficient.

The learning styles are very different for Saxon and MUS. I've not used Singapore so I cannot address that program. My oldest used MUS up through Epsilon. She enjoyed it and retained a great deal. But, my youngest did not like the mastery approach. She did not want to spend an entire year doing only one aspect of math. She liked Saxon much more.

Now, many do not like Saxon for that very reason, they do not want multiple topics per lesson. So, I think it depends on how your dc learns best.

I personally think both MUS and Saxon do require participation from the parent in the early elementary ages. Of couse MUS has the dvd instruction. I do not know if Saxon has dvd instruction for early elementary levels. We have only used the high school level dvds.

HTH

I am probably going to need open and go - but I am NOT a mathy person and the info I'm seeing through searching old threads shows that Singapore is hard for non-mathy people so it scares me. And I've never seen it - ever. I've seen MUS - it's boring looking, but it looks approachable to me.

Ugh. I really need help with this. I really do. And a way to see these curricula in person. How? :confused:

Don't be scared of Singapore. You're starting with K anyway, right? There's nothing in that level that will hurt you. :)

I'm not sure how it gets the not-for-non-mathy-people label but honestly when I first started it with my daughter I was horrible with math. I labeled myself a non-mathy person. I failed math a couple of times in high school and only got my last math credit by the skin of my teeth. But I didn't have any big problems with Singapore (never even used the HIG or TG for the elementary grades) and found that as I taught my daughter I myself got a MUCH better understanding of math.

Honestly, I think the non-mathy reason is the worst reason not to try Singapore because it's exactly that type of person it could really do wonders for.

Singaporemath.com has some sample pages you can look at for a better idea of what it looks like.

Edited by WishboneDawn

Why do so many afterschoolers use Saxon or Singapore? Is there a reason MUS doesn't seem to show up much in their curriculum lists? Does anyone know?

I suspect because it's pricier and there are a lot more components (well, the blocks anyway :)). For Saxon and Singapore it's mostly just texts and workbooks.

I would suggest looking at Math Mammoth. It works great for afterschooling.

My son's private school used Saxon, and I had to supplement, since they were using it on grade level and he was ahead of that (and incredibly bored). Plus the incremental nature also bored him. So I got Math Mammoth, which is inexpensive and easy to use. It teaches many of the same methods as Singapore (we add in some Singapore IPs and CWPs for fun, since DS loves math), but it's written for homeschoolers and thus doesn't have long, teacher-intensive lessons. It's great for afterschooling.

If your DD is 4, is she needing a K level program? Math Mammoth doesn't have K (there is a review of K in 1st, but it's not a "K program"). I'm using Singapore Essential Math K for my 4 year old, and I'll toss him into Math Mammoth when he's ready for that. :) There are lots of samples of Math Mammoth on their website. It's a downloadable product that you print yourself.

Singapore has samples on their website, and there are different samples on http://christianbook.com (I like going there for samples).

Saxon probably has samples on their website. After seeing it at my son's school, I wouldn't be able to teach it... at least not the K-3. It bored ME just looking at what came home. :tongue_smilie: So I haven't checked for samples of them. :)

I can't really help you here as I haven't used Singapore or Saxon and I only started using MUS with Delta but my first thought to your question was Math Mammoth. If you are only going to be using a program for afterschooling, Math Mammoth may be a good fit. It is inexpensive ($32 if you download,) the pages are colourful and fun (if you like worksheets) and it explains how to do the concept right on the worksheet. I have started using MM this week in hopes of giving my youngest some review (we are having major difficulties with math.) I am quite enamored with this program and have decided to jump ship with the program that we are using and move on to MM for next year.

I hate math. Truly.

Please don't hate math! Maybe try something like Miquon and enjoy math with your child. My husband is a math teacher in high school, and he sees that the parents' view on math has such an influence on a child's feelings of math.

This might help you.

I'm a Saxon fan, myself. It uses a spiral approach, rather than mastery which suits all my dc, despite their learning differences. It's also a program I can understand, and I'm not AT ALL math oriented. The K-3 programs have a meeting book, teacher's manual with answers, worksheets which include regular assessments, flashcards, and math fact timed tests. 5/4, 6/5, 7/6 and 8/7 have a textbook, an answer book, math fact timed tests, assessment papers, and possibly one or two other bits which we don't use. HTH.

At this age you should not be stressing....:001_smile: Why not try a very good free math program?

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

You could print out only what you need. Prek-12 levels are all available. I do like all of your picks and anyone would be a good choice but this program is well loved and works so you can use the extra money to buy manipulatives.

Now about your picks...

MUS blocks are nice. They are really helpful for us when my dd just doesn't get a concept. The manuals are easy to use...you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure them out. It does not follow the public school coverage of topics. For example: you will not cover time, money, measurements, addition and subtraction, fractions and so forth in alpha....you concentrate on addition and sub, place value and time.(If I am incorrect....please correct me as I only remember these topics being covered):001_smile: If your child gets overwhelmed and prefers to work on one topic at a time then MUS may be golden for you.:D

Saxon is well loved also. Lower levels use lots of different manipulatives and covers more than one topic per day. There is a meeting book which discusses the calendar then you move on to the lesson. It introduces information in small bits. The TM is BIG and pretty much tells you what to say and do. Some people say it moves way to slowly.

Singapore is very good for teaching conceptual understanding. The workbooks are small and use cute cartoon type pictures that show what is going on in the math problem. It does not cover multiple topics each day and is considered a mastery type math program. They offer extra practice books for each level if you need more practice. The Home Instructor's Guide or HIG has alot of helpful info. It is not scripted. They offer challanging word problems and intensive practice books if you desire more. Some people do not like going from one book to another to teach a lesson but it really is no big deal. This curriculum really makes the child think and does make leaps that the child may or may not tollerate.

I am by no means an expert on any of the above....just wanted to give my take on them.

HTH,

Penny

I believe the reason afterschoolers tend not to use MUS is that the sequence is so different from what the child will face in school, and many (most) want to be ahead of the curve at school rather than remediating.

Saxon tends not to be used for several reasons. One is that it takes way too long 1-2 hours a day. Afterschoolers tend to want an efficient program (due to homework and an already long day). Another reason is the incremental approach in Saxon makes it difficult to focus in on one topic.

Singapore on the other hand is very efficient. Develops powerful mental math strategies, conceptual understanding, word problem skills, and teaches the standard algorithms. So a child develops skills that exceed those typically taught in schools, and they still have time to ride their bikes and play.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Singapore is FAST and easy to understand. I am NOT mathy and I wish I had Singapore growing up. It's great. Love, love, love.

MUS was okay but we had very little actual retention or ability to apply (dd didn't get that the "tens" house full of blue rods applied to normal numbers. Outside of drawing Decimal Street, she didn't actually understand place value at all. And my other dd was quite OCD about the manipulatives & couldn't get past that.

We abhor repetition so we haven't tried Saxon. We use the free MEP but just to supplement as it's a totally different approach and it's fun. I don't want the kids to be scared of math like I was.

MUS was okay but we had very little actual retention or ability to apply (dd didn't get that the "tens" house full of blue rods applied to normal numbers. Outside of drawing Decimal Street, she didn't actually understand place value at all. And my other dd was quite OCD about the manipulatives & couldn't get past that.

Oh GOSH I hated that. All the cutesy stuff to memorize and figure out where Singapore just goes ahead and teaches the actual concept.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that loves Singapore despite not being "mathy". Although I have to admit, Singapore has made me fall in love with math and we're now tackling DM 1 with hardly a worry on my part. I'll be interested to see how far I can take my daughter into junior high and high school.

MUS might be perfect for afterschooling because it presents the same concepts in a different order & in a much different way, which in the long run could really be complementary. It *can* be enough like playing to be tolerable, too.

Consider Miquon--it also uses blocks, is like play, & is presented differently.

I know you can see Singapore & Saxon at HER. I think MUS should be guaranteed to be there, too, & you wouldn't have to get too lucky to find Miquon. http://www.homeeducatorsresource.com/ --it's in Lewisville, & it's a fun place to visit. There's also one in NRH, but it's smaller & consignment, so they don't have as great a selection. You'd still be able to see Saxon, though, & some Singapore, & you could always call first for the other things: http://www.the-book-cover.com/.

I hate math. Truly.

Don't. Life is much better when you don't :)

Please don't hate math! Maybe try something like Miquon and enjoy math with your child. My husband is a math teacher in high school, and he sees that the parents' view on math has such an influence on a child's feelings of math.

Confession time. I'm a CPA. Yeah, I know. But accounting is NOT math.

I believe the reason afterschoolers tend not to use MUS is that the sequence is so different from what the child will face in school, and many (most) want to be ahead of the curve at school rather than remediating.

Saxon tends not to be used for several reasons. One is that it takes way too long 1-2 hours a day. Afterschoolers tend to want an efficient program (due to homework and an already long day). Another reason is the incremental approach in Saxon makes it difficult to focus in on one topic.

Singapore on the other hand is very efficient. Develops powerful mental math strategies, conceptual understanding, word problem skills, and teaches the standard algorithms. So a child develops skills that exceed those typically taught in schools, and they still have time to ride their bikes and play.

Bill

You sold Singapore. Saxon is out - I'm likely to go back to work this fall and can't be spending 1-2 hours/day on math alone. No way, no how.

So it's down to MM, MUS, and Singapore. Hmmmm...

MUS might be perfect for afterschooling because it presents the same concepts in a different order & in a much different way, which in the long run could really be complementary. It *can* be enough like playing to be tolerable, too.

Consider Miquon--it also uses blocks, is like play, & is presented differently.

I know you can see Singapore & Saxon at HER. I think MUS should be guaranteed to be there, too, & you wouldn't have to get too lucky to find Miquon. http://www.homeeducatorsresource.com/ --it's in Lewisville, & it's a fun place to visit. There's also one in NRH, but it's smaller & consignment, so they don't have as great a selection. You'd still be able to see Saxon, though, & some Singapore, & you could always call first for the other things: http://www.the-book-cover.com/.

I could hug you! When I'm back in Dallas I'll have to get over to Lewisville. I keep forgetting about HER. Thanks, Aubrey!!!

You sold Singapore. Saxon is out - I'm likely to go back to work this fall and can't be spending 1-2 hours/day on math alone. No way, no how.

So it's down to MM, MUS, and Singapore.

The problem with MUS for afterschooling is that it essentially takes on one mathematical operation per level (addition and subtraction are mixed). In some areas MUS will get "ahead" of school math (multi-digit addition and subtraction) but in other areas (like division) it will be way behind what is going on at school. The sequence is very non-traditional. It may be just the thing for some kids, but it does not line up with the public school math sequence.

Singapore does. It is either on-sequence or ahead. And it teaches topics in ways you want your child to know them, so they can apply the Singapore skills to their school work.

Singapore vs MM is an area worth pondering. I really like Singapore, and have not used MM. But the methods are pretty similar. Some users here prefer the organization of MM and other (like me) really like the Singapore materials. So you might need to make an educated guess on which you think would fit your style.

Bill

Singapore vs MM is an area worth pondering. I really like Singapore, and have not used MM. But the methods are pretty similar. Some users here prefer the organization of MM and other (like me) really like the Singapore materials. So you might need to make an educated guess on which you think would fit your style.

And some of us use a combination of both. :D Math Mammoth is my spine since I like that all the teaching is in the text, but I use Singapore IP to add some extra challenge. I add the CWP just because my son asked for more word problems. MM isn't lacking in word problems. He just likes them a lot and wants to do them all the time. ;)

(and I use Singapore for K just because MM doesn't have hit - love the Essential Math books! Very easy, and inexpensive to boot!)

Good point about MUS. DD is in Montessori (and will be for the next two years) so her teaching environment is non-traditional, but once she hits 1st grade she'll be needing something like Singapore or MM. I'm liking Singapore the more I look at it. I was just so overwhelmed by the website and the "sound" of it.

Still want to put hands on it before I decide though. That will have to wait, unfortunately. Sigh....

Good point about MUS. DD is in Montessori (and will be for the next two years) so her teaching environment is non-traditional, but once she hits 1st grade she'll be needing something like Singapore or MM. I'm liking Singapore the more I look at it. I was just so overwhelmed by the website and the "sound" of it.

Still want to put hands on it before I decide though. That will have to wait, unfortunately. Sigh....

For your daughters age I would advocate starting with Miquon. Very Montessori like. Miquon uses Cuisenaire Rods (similar to MUS blocks) and aims for a good deal of developmental exposure to math through play.

It is a marvelous introduction to the whole-parts math method found in Singapore Math. I think it is much better than the Singapore Earlybird materials which get into "workbook" type materials in ways that are not really the most developmentally sound.

We started Miquon in Pre-k then went right into Primary Mathematics 1A/B for late Pre-k and K. We used some of the EB materials, but was very happy to put them aside.

Bill

I think a lot depends on WHY you want to supplement the school math curriculum. Do you dislike the way the school teaches, and want to basically ignore the school lessons as much as practical and teach math yourself? Do you just want to present another way to look at the math taught in school? Do you want to teach math at a faster pace? Do you want to add deeper thinking problems? Also, do you want something that will teach more or less in the same order as the school will, or do you want to just teach your home program as if it were its own class?

As a supplement, Saxon would probably be overkill, especially in the K-3 years. It is very involved, and can be time consuming. (This is not a problem for families who are using Saxon as the only math curriculum in a homeschool, if the approach and method are a good fit. It might be a problem when added after a long school day and the homework assigned by the school.) However, if your local math program is severely lacking and if Saxon is a good fit for you, it might be possible to trim it down to fit in the available time. There might even be families who feel it is worth the time invested.

If you want to teach an additional math program as a sort of separate class, without trying to line up with what the school is using, MUS or Miquon or Singapore will all work well. Any of these will provide a different way of looking at numbers (unless your local school is using Singapore or MUS--a few do). If your local school is using Saxon or Scott Foresman or Everyday Math or something else, MUS or Miquon or Singapore will all be a new way to look at things.

If you want to work ahead with a child who is likely to learn more rapidly than the school will teach, Miquon or Singapore or MEP would work quite well. (However, these can all also be used more slowly for a child who learns at a more average pace.) MUS can be used for this type of child, but it can be expensive since a child who is a quick learner could go through two or more levels a year.

If money is a factor, Miquon or Singapore or MEP would be your best choice---high quality math instruction, some fun activities, low cost (ink and paper for MEP, inexpensive workbooks and teacher books for the others), and shorter time investment.

I have used all 3 programs...yes, I know...I am a curriculum hopper...this is our experience: first I started with MUS (I have 3 kids...now ages 6, 9 and 10) we did it for a semester and I thought I was wasting a lot of the workbook bcauase my kids were skipping many pages (now I know that it was becasue I was trying to find their correct spot in their books....I had just taken them out of public school)...but since I felt like I couldn't afford to waste, I switched to Saxon (that was what my good friend was using)...but my kids hated it. It is a spiral based program and there was not nearly enough practice of any one skill at the onset for my kids. So then I went to Singapore. At first all was great, but my kids who are not mental math people couldn't "see" the math in their heads, so the were getting very frustrated. I looked again at other programs...and kept coming back to MUS becasue it was working..the kids liked it...it was my own problem that made us switch...so I went back and we are so happy we did. I don't find it cumbersome to teach and my kids are understanding and liking math (mostly) and I can see us using it for quite a while. Hope that helps some.

I think a lot depends on WHY you want to supplement the school math curriculum. Do you dislike the way the school teaches, and want to basically ignore the school lessons as much as practical and teach math yourself? Do you just want to present another way to look at the math taught in school? Do you want to teach math at a faster pace? Do you want to add deeper thinking problems? Also, do you want something that will teach more or less in the same order as the school will, or do you want to just teach your home program as if it were its own class?

As a supplement, Saxon would probably be overkill, especially in the K-3 years. It is very involved, and can be time consuming. (This is not a problem for families who are using Saxon as the only math curriculum in a homeschool, if the approach and method are a good fit. It might be a problem when added after a long school day and the homework assigned by the school.) However, if your local math program is severely lacking and if Saxon is a good fit for you, it might be possible to trim it down to fit in the available time. There might even be families who feel it is worth the time invested.

If you want to teach an additional math program as a sort of separate class, without trying to line up with what the school is using, MUS or Miquon or Singapore will all work well. Any of these will provide a different way of looking at numbers (unless your local school is using Singapore or MUS--a few do). If your local school is using Saxon or Scott Foresman or Everyday Math or something else, MUS or Miquon or Singapore will all be a new way to look at things.

If you want to work ahead with a child who is likely to learn more rapidly than the school will teach, Miquon or Singapore or MEP would work quite well. (However, these can all also be used more slowly for a child who learns at a more average pace.) MUS can be used for this type of child, but it can be expensive since a child who is a quick learner could go through two or more levels a year.

If money is a factor, Miquon or Singapore or MEP would be your best choice---high quality math instruction, some fun activities, low cost (ink and paper for MEP, inexpensive workbooks and teacher books for the others), and shorter time investment.

You raise a good point. Why am I doing this? I don't trust the school system (public or private), but my husband is opposed to homeschooling. So I want to have math, history, and language arts (phonics, reading, etc) ready to afterschool so that DD is at or above grade level as she goes along in school. As a supplement or substitute, I don't know, as we haven't started this adventure yet - she's still in preschool. Supplement is my current thinking, but it could turn into a substitute. She's already been tagged as extremely smart by her Montessori school and she has started sounding out words a little and is on the verge of reading "Bob" books. We also are thinking of moving overseas permanently and I will have to afterschool English, literature, and history in that situation, though maybe not math.

I hate math. HATE it. I never understood it in school and moved so many times as a kid that I never got a consistent teaching and understanding of it. We are peripatetic people and I want to have consistent teaching for her as we move about (We've already moved 4 times since DD was born!). If I start afterschooling from the get go, she will be used to it as she grows up. I want something simple, fast, grab and go if possible. SOTW for history, various for LA, and now Miquon or Singapore for math. Science is DH's department for now - they do lots of practical, hands-on experiments and playing.

Hope that makes sense. I'm scattered today.

You raise a good point. Why am I doing this? I don't trust the school system (public or private), but my husband is opposed to homeschooling. So I want to have math, history, and language arts (phonics, reading, etc) ready to afterschool so that DD is at or above grade level as she goes along in school. As a supplement or substitute, I don't know, as we haven't started this adventure yet - she's still in preschool. Supplement is my current thinking, but it could turn into a substitute. She's already been tagged as extremely smart by her Montessori school and she has started sounding out words a little and is on the verge of reading "Bob" books. We also are thinking of moving overseas permanently and I will have to afterschool English, literature, and history in that situation, though maybe not math.

I hate math. HATE it. I never understood it in school and moved so many times as a kid that I never got a consistent teaching and understanding of it. We are peripatetic people and I want to have consistent teaching for her as we move about (We've already moved 4 times since DD was born!). If I start afterschooling from the get go, she will be used to it as she grows up. I want something simple, fast, grab and go if possible. SOTW for history, various for LA, and now Miquon or Singapore for math. Science is DH's department for now - they do lots of practical, hands-on experiments and playing.

Hope that makes sense. I'm scattered today.

If it helps you to know, I pretty much hated math as a child too. Every once in a while we would hit on a topic that excited me (some Geometry elements made me take notice) but in the main I'd hide novels inside my Math book and learned enough to plug numbers into the supplied formulas competently enough to get good grades. But that's it.

Math was "boring" subject and one taught with no intellectual depth, interest, or excitement.

I love math now. I feel passionate amout it. It can be a fascinating subject, and one that engages the mind (and is fun!).

Read Liping Ma's book on mathematics. Then really consider starting your child (and as importantly yourself) with Miquon. Not only is it an amazing precursor to Singapore, but it may very well spark a whole new feeling about mat in you (it certainly did with me).

Miquon at this age is extraordinary effective. Much of what the child learns they get from using rods to prove things to themselves. This promotes autonomy and competence, and a confidence towards learning. And it is all playful and developmental, not to mention "efficient" (as a child understands a concept they have discovered and proven themselves has a different understanding than one who has been told something by a teacher/parent repeatedly).

The skills and concepts learned though play in Miquon can them be given a superstructure though the Singapore Model.

Spock, in her fine post, also mentioned MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme) which is a math program based on Hungarian math. It is also a whole-parts math program (like Singapore and Miquon). It has tremendously interesting content. Very puzzle-like and intriguing problems and lesson activities. We have done a great deal from MEP and loved it.

This school year (First Grade) time did not permit us to explore as much MEP as in the past, so I cherry-picked, and hope to Enjoy it this summer.

Singapore (Primary Mathematics) is our spine. We go on a lot of tangents, but Singapore gives a rock-solid Method. This is a powerful method for understanding numbers and mathematics that a peripatetic family can use to give every other math program their child might encounter as solid base of understanding. Rock-solid.

Best wishes!

Bill

I hate math. HATE it. I never understood it in school and moved so many times as a kid that I never got a consistent teaching and understanding of it.

You desperately need Miquon and Singapore. Desperately.:D

ETA: I'm with Bill. I was decent at math until junior high when my lack of a good foundation started to hurt me. I graduated without Grade 12 math because I had failed a year. I thought I was just a non-mathy type.

Now I LOVE it. It's absolutely beautiful and completely engrossing and I'm enjoying my ride on Singapore with my daughter. I also second Bill's suggestion on Liping Ma's book. Fantastic.

Stick with us, use Miquon and Singapore and I bet you'll be singing the same tune as Bill and I in a year or two. :D

Edited by WishboneDawn

While she's in the Montessori preschool/K, as long as you're happy with the teacher and you know they're making diligent efforts to move along in the curriculum (i.e. introducing new works regularly as appropriate to where the child is), I would not be deeply concerned about afterschooling math. IME, the Montessori math materials are excellent (until you get past long division - at that point it's very school- and teacher-specific). While the Montessori preschool my dd attended was so-so, my other kids have been attending an excellent one. My fifth child will start preschool there in August. I have never afterschooled for that age. I have another one in K this fall and two in third grade. My rising third graders are now beyond the Montessori math materials; the teachers make do with various things, but I'm in the process of introducing the teachers to Math Mammoth ;). I have convinced one of them to let my ds8 use it at school (to be practical in the classroom, where instruction is very individualized, they'd need something less teacher-intensive than Singapore; the all-in-one style of MM might work well for them).

IMO, conceptual, Asian-style math goes very well with Montessori math because Montessori math is also conceptual.

Edited by wapiti

While she's in the Montessori preschool/K, as long as you're happy with the teacher and you know they're making diligent efforts to move along in the curriculum (i.e. introducing new works regularly as appropriate to where the child is), I would not be deeply concerned about afterschooling math. IME, the Montessori math materials are excellent (until you get past long division - at that point it's very school- and teacher-specific). While the Montessori preschool my dd attended was so-so, my other kids have been attending an excellent one. My fifth child will start preschool there in August. I have never afterschooled for that age. I have another one in K this fall and two in third grade. My rising third graders are now beyond the Montessori math materials; the teachers make do with various things, but I'm in the process of introducing the teachers to Math Mammoth ;). I have convinced one of them to let my ds8 use it at school (to be practical in the classroom, where instruction is very individualized, they'd need something less teacher-intensive than Singapore; the all-in-one style of MM might work well for them).

IMO, conceptual, Asian-style math goes very well with Montessori math because Montessori math is also conceptual.

She is getting a new teacher this year, so I will have to watch to see if new works are introduced appropriately. Her teacher last year focused on developmental stuff with DD which she desperately needed, but I'm sort of glad she's getting a new teacher this year. She won't have quite the baggage going into this year as a result. DD's one of those kids who's brain is ahead of her social/physical development. And she's a ham - will intentionally not do something or do it wrong just to get a reaction (grrrrr). But she spontaneously read her t-shirt - new - this afternoon. I've never said aloud what was written on it. She just said "oh, I love music"! Gulp.

I'm going to look at Miquon and have it on hand just in case the circumstances present. I'll look for Liping Ma's book on Kindle (overseas - no access to libraries or much in the way of English language bookstores). I think y'all are right that Miquon segueing into Singapore is the way to go, especially with the Montessori preschool.

Thank you ALL so much for all the wonderful advice and support!!!