Menu

How do you keep your children's attention for lessons?

It depends on what ages they are.

If I'm doing a lot of reading, then I usually give them something to keep their hands busy....usually a coloring sheet. This works well for Bible lessons because I give them a sheet that corresponds with the lesson. I also do this when reading the Story of the World. My girls are 4 and 7.

Agreed. I add in a good 10 minute bounce on the tramp or 10 runs up and down the hallway between lessons for super fidgety boys. I expect 20-30 minutes of solid attention for my 11yo and 10-15 for my 8yo. With my youngest, he isn't antsy; he just has so much he wants to tell me that we have to stop and have a little chat every 10 minutes or so. :)

Frequent, short lessons for students under 10ish.

Under 10, I keep them short. We have frequent "get up and move around" breaks too. The only time there is a long lesson (more than 15 minutes of me talking/reading) is if the kids are really interested. We had a science lesson once that went on for half the day. Honestly, my attention span was shot after an hour, but they were having a good time.

If I'm doing a lot of reading, then I usually give them something to keep their hands busy...

:iagree:

My dd actually focuses better and retains more if I allow her to draw or fiddle with Legos while she listens. My wife is the same way: she never takes notes and prefers to knit or do some other craft when she is learning through auditory input. Drives me nuts, honestly, but whatever works!