Menu

Ap Bio in ninth grade? A friend of mine dd finished Apologia Bio and

Well, it's hard. And AP Bio includes quite a bit of biochemistry so a chemistry course would be very helpful. And, it's a lotof work. My 10th grader regularly spent 15 - 20 hours per week on AP Bio. And did I say it was hard yet? Actually, my ds is pretty bright and loves biology and was very challenged with AP Bio. His had to really reform his study skills. So it's not for the faint of heart. :001_smile:

I would suggest that the parents and student pick up an AP Bio review guide at the library (or try to get Campbell's interlibrary loan) to get an idea of the content.

HTH!

Lisa

Does the AP Biology refer to Advanced Placement Biology or Apologia Advanced Biology? I am pretty sure my 9th gr dtr will take Apologia Advanced Biology next year (Human Body: Fearfully and Wonderfully Made) - so I am int in this topic! Thanks!

lisaj

and just took the AP Bio test on Monday. Obviously, we don't have scores from the test, yet, but in her class (which she took through an outside source) she has maintained a high B/low A all year.

It was hard work, but it's not impossible. My dd took 10 subjects this year including AP Bio and managed the workload. I will say that she is very organized and put together a study schedule on her own so that she wouldn't fall behind and would meet all of her deadlines for both AP and other classes.

HTH.

My 9th grader is in AP Bio, he has a B+ average (so far :001_unsure: ) We do not focus on science here in the elementary grades, in fact most comes from living books, watching TV and TC dvds. He is doing pretty well, but I'm not sure son #2 could handle it. I think it depends on the maturity level of the student.

If you're talking about AP Bio with the Campbell textbook, I highly recommend chemistry first.

Ds could not make heads or tails of Campbell before chem, so he switched to Apologia and sailed through it. I don't think Apologia bio covers what Campbell's considered the "basics" - chem does.

If she really wants to challenge herself, I would at least do chem concurrently, since she'd be learning a lot of chem to unerstand Campbell anyway.

The test is difficult mainly because it requires so much memorization. It is less concept laden than physics for example. Last year my 9th grader took a class (that used Campbell), while simultaneously studying intensely herself using AP prep books and Sparknote cards. She had only had a life science course in 7th grade, and a fast-paced summer chem course through CTY. She did score a 5, but she is a dedicated kid who is able to remember a multitude of information after seeing it only once or twice.

I heartily agree with the last poster who said that it depends on your kid. My 13 year old son, for example, can't even remember 10 spelling words at one time!

Staci

Andrea in Dutchess - thanks for that info. It seemed the thread was about Advanced Placement Biology but at first I couldn't figure out why someone would take Adv Placement Biology right after they took regular high school level Biology. Thanks - I was wondering what "test" there was too - I'm still confused on that? Some of the posts made me think there was one "AP Biology Test" but that couldn't be?

Thanks - Lisaj

I was wondering what "test" there was too - I'm still confused on that? Some of the posts made me think there was one "AP Biology Test" but that couldn't be?

There is just one AP Biology test. It's given to all students on a certain day in May. Scores range from 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest. The test varies from year to year, but stays basically within certain parameters that can be seen at the College Board site or in various AP test prep books.

Is this what you were wondering about?

There is just one AP Biology test. It's given to all students on a certain day in May. Scores range from 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest. The test varies from year to year, but stays basically within certain parameters that can be seen at the College Board site or in various AP test prep books.

Is this what you were wondering about?

Thanks - That is what I was wondering. What is the "value" of the AP Bio test score? Does it go on the transcript to show mastery? Is it figured as part of the Biology grade awarded and figured into the student's grade point average?

Thanks if you get time to answer these last two questions :).

Lisaj

Thanks - That is what I was wondering. What is the "value" of the AP Bio test score? Does it go on the transcript to show mastery? Is it figured as part of the Biology grade awarded and figured into the student's grade point average?

Lisaj

Some colleges will award credit if the AP score is high enough. I'm not sure if there are other advantages or not.

Lisaj

Some colleges will give credit for up to two biology courses if a student has a 4 or 5 on the AP Bio exam. Other colleges will use a 4 or 5 for placement purposes, allowing students to move into high level biology courses.

If you wish to show mastery of high school level material, consider the SAT subject test. The AP demonstrates college level mastery.

Jane