Menu

Interesting family connection...

We have a connection like that from the Middle Ages. It's been pretty cool to read about him in a few different history book from the time period. It's also really cool to talk about what kind of legacy (assuming it's been a good one) that person left, and what is possible for their lives.

I am pretty sure that a distant relative of mine was burned at the stake by Bloody Mary. The name escapes me now but a relative of his was on the Mayflower. Just remembered, Rogers was his name. Kind of exciting, no?

Oh, and I am also distantly related to Andrew Jackson and Jesse James. :D

I am pretty sure that a distant relative of mine was burned at the stake by Bloody Mary. The name escapes me now but a relative of his was on the Mayflower. Just remembered, Rogers was his name. Kind of exciting, no?

I also have an ancestor who was supposedly burned at the stake by Bloody Mary and is now a legend in my family. He was a Welby, not a Rogers.

I have a book on Marie Curie that was my grandfather's. He wrote "your great-grandma was there" in the margin, in reference to a seminar in Warsaw. I'm not sure whose great-grandma. Mine, I assume. Neither of his children are readers so I don't suppose he was writing to them.

:)

Rosie

My family were bards from way back. The one who brought us to Scotland in the 1200's was a highly respected poet who, when asked for rent, killed the man with an axe and then hightailed it to Scotland.

Then wrote a poem:

Trifling our quarrel with the man,

A clown to be abusing me,

And me to kill the churl,

Dear God, is this a cause for enmity?

I laugh every time I read it. :001_smile: It was sooo long ago but that poem, his occupation, his impulsive act, and his slight confusion over the whole fuss that ensued just sums up so many of the Curries I know perfectly.

but this was just a neat book we were reading aloud for family time. Surprised us all! My husband's grandmother researched their genealogy clear back to Charlemagne. One of his relatives fought beside William Wallace, and this guy that I read about last night - Hugh Lattimer, is a famous martyr for the Lutherans.

but this was just a neat book we were reading aloud for family time. Surprised us all! My husband's grandmother researched their genealogy clear back to Charlemagne. One of his relatives fought beside William Wallace, and this guy that I read about last night - Hugh Lattimer, is a famous martyr for the Lutherans.

Dh's family is descended from Charlemagne. He's not too proud of that, by the way. :lol: When we read about Charlemagne for the first time it was fun to tell the kids that they were related to him.